• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet Another Daily Power Fix Idea

Rechan

Adventurer
I hate, hate, hate it when my players' Encounter and Daily powers miss. Granted, some have "Miss: half whatever", and some last the entire encounter, but it still makes me sad (and partially because some of them do not have those things).

However, making Daily powers reliable, or rechargable, etc, just seems like too much power to hand to the PCs. So I had an idea.

If a Daily Power misses, then after a short rest, it is no longer spent. This only works until the power hits.

So, if it is used in the first encounter, and it fails, then it can be used in the second encounter.

Naturally this might result in players blowing their Dailies early, feeling like they have that safety net. Although my group does like to use their dailies at unnecessary times, against weaker foes, but whatever.

Last edited:

Yanko128

First Post
I hate, hate, hate it when my players' Encounter and Daily powers miss. Granted, some have "Miss: half whatever", and some last the entire encounter, but it still makes me sad (and partially because some of them do not have those things).

However, making Daily powers reliable, or rechargable, etc, just seems like too much power to hand to the PCs. So I had an idea.

If a Daily Power misses, then after an extended rest, it is no longer spent. This only works until the power hits.

So, if it is used in the first encounter, and it fails, then it can be used in the second encounter.

Naturally this might result in players blowing their Dailies early, feeling like they have that safety net. Although my group does like to use their dailies at unnecessary times, against weaker foes, but whatever.

you mean short rest, right?

Nymrohd

First Post
I think house rules for additional daily usage are among the most common. And honestly I don't think any of them are particularly overpowered. Still making them reliable for the day as it is does make it somewhat less important to use them strategically which I find is a big part of the fun of dailies in my party (getting the chance to hit as high as they can before they unload).

Yanko128

First Post
i think your house rule works pretty well. you still have to responsible with your usage of daily powers. after all if you hit with it, it is used up.

gtoasnt3

First Post
I think house rules for additional daily usage are among the most common. And honestly I don't think any of them are particularly overpowered. Still making them reliable for the day as it is does make it somewhat less important to use them strategically which I find is a big part of the fun of dailies in my party (getting the chance to hit as high as they can before they unload).

I agree. The strategies that my PC's employ include trying to assist and aid each other to grant combat advantage or other situations prior to using dailies and encounters. This makes the teamwork idea critical to the combat encounter success and the PC's love it. If they miss with a daily, at least they did everything they could to improve the chance of success first.

No house rules for us on re-using dailies.

Mesh Hong

First Post
I hate, hate, hate it when my players' Encounter and Daily powers miss.

Really, I like the huge personal moral boost I get when the PCs Warlord misses with Lead the Attack, at least there is a slim hope that my poor poor monsters wont get obliterated by deluge of massive damage dailies and status effects. :D

On the other hand I can see why some groups might come up with house rules such as yours. As these sorts of rules go they seem pretty straight forward, and very reasonable.

Rechan

Adventurer
I agree. The strategies that my PC's employ include trying to assist and aid each other to grant combat advantage or other situations prior to using dailies and encounters.
Alas. My players don't think this far ahead. They don't request buffs from eachother, etc.

gtoasnt3

First Post
Alas. My players don't think this far ahead. They don't request buffs from eachother, etc.

:D

That's why this game we love will always have individual tweaks and house rules. It's what makes sitting down across from a table and gaming with books/paper/pencil/maps so appealing even in the face of all the incredible computer games.

Our PC's want to play by the book and have made it work for them. Tweaks to the rules have never had 100% positive feedback from all members, so no house rules as of yet. We play again this Friday night, and a couple of us proposed house rules last week that we mulled about for a bit. Both of the proposals have ended up being rejected, and the game goes on unchanged.

Nymrohd

First Post

Back in 3E the vast majority of buffs were added before the fight even begun (and most of the math came to removing buffs every time one side managed to dispell the other). Now in 4E buffs and penalties are smaller and either last for the encounter or until the next round, so they are easy and fun to use and feel quite more strategic. The problem is that 4E math simply does not work as well for players who are not willing to work together; heck aid another may not be dramatic, yet it still is one of the greatest contributions to a fight. In truth the simplicity of 4E combat is thoroughly undermined by the extreme dependence on the attack roll which simply synergises badly with limited resource gameplay.

Remove ads