• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet another multiclassing fix...

fuindordm

Adventurer
First of all, let me just say that I don't think multiclassing is broken. At least, no so much that drastic measures are required! This post lays out three concise and minor changes to the rules that I feel are warranted.

Note: I'm placing this in the 'Rules' forum rather than the 'House Rules' forum for two reasons. First, the changes are really minor. Second, I'm interested in other people's thoughts on whether RAW multiclassing is balanced appropriately.

In the heroic tier, the only problem I see is that multiclass feats give you a fixed benefit. The player should have some freedom to choose what features of the second class they trained in. Otherwise, I think 3 feats is an appropriate sacrifice for increased versatility and the potential to set up unusual combos.

In the paragon tier, it's clear that multiclassing has been severely gimped. The power swaps are no problem, but you don't gain anything from them that you wouldn't have had already. Note that the power swap feats grow with you--at 10th level and beyond, you can have any three level-appropriate powers you want from the second class. The extra powers you gain from the paragon path just give you a broader range of options, not more powerful options. Furthermore, the character loses an action point bonus and a significant "flavor" power for no reason that I can see. After all, you already paid a heavy price for the versatility.

And frankly, I don't understand the underlying constraint of "thou shall not have more than 2 at-wills". They aren't powerful--it can't be that unbalancing to have one more.

So here's my proposal:

Change the [XX Multiclass] feats to read:
Prerequisite: unchanged
Benefits:
First, you gain training in one skill from the second class' list. If the second class has any required skills, you must choose one of these. If the second class can use implements, so can you. You count as that class for the purpose of taking feats and paragon paths.

Second, you choose one minor or partial class feature, with the following guidelines:
:1: Take an at-will attack power or class feature from the second class as an encounter power (examples: eldritch blast, magic missile, warlock's curse, shadow walk, tactical presence, tide of iron, sneak attack, hunter's quarry, warlock's curse).
:2: Take a limited class feature from the second class as a daily power (examples: inspiring word, channel divinity)
:3: Take a weaker version of a utility class feature (examples: 2 wizard cantrips, gain a warlock pact without the boon or at-will).
:4: The DM may rule that certain features implying significant mastery of a technique are off-limits to a dabbler such as yourself (example: implement mastery, combat superiority)

Option: if you feel the revised multiclass feat is too powerful, remove the ability to use implements. The martial classes tend to have fewer interesting class features anyway. This feature can then be rolled into the new feat proposed below:

New feat: Multiclass training
Prerequisite: XX Multiclass
Benefit: you gain one weapon and one armor proficiency from class XX. The armor proficiency must follow the usual sequence; for example, a Wizard [Fighter] could gain leather or hide armor. [Alternatively, this feat gives you access to the implements of your second class.]

Paragon Multiclassing:

At level 11, gain an at-will from the second class (this replaces the action point boost enjoyed by paragon paths).
At level 11, upgrade the partial class feature chosen for your multiclassing feat to a full class feature.
At level 11, take an encounter power from the second class as usual.

If you feel this is too good, then you could make the player spend their level 11 feat to upgrade their class feature.

Last edited:

Raith5

Adventurer
I was thinking of something very similar to this. The current system is not balanced to my tastes. It seems to me to be too generous too shallow multiclassing and way too stingy to those who want to MC in a deeper fashion.

I also dont like the idea of paragon multiclassing - I like the flavor of paragon paths and I dont think MC should come at the expense of a path.

I agree that I think it is hard to have effective MC without adding powers ( adding a per wills as a per encounter as you suggest)

I agree that adding different class features is a good idea.

I am not sure about multiclass training - I think this undermines the armour feats.

And in respect to " I don't understand the underlying constraint of "thou shall not have more than 2 at-wills". They aren't powerful--it can't be that unbalancing to have one more."

I dont understand this either

(but this should probably be the house rules section )

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
fuindordm said:
Note: I'm placing this in the 'Rules' forum rather than the 'House Rules' forum for two reasons. First, the changes are really minor. Second, I'm interested in other people's thoughts on whether RAW multiclassing is balanced appropriately.
If it's primarily a house rules thread, it should be in the correct forum. Feel free to start a second thread on multiclass balance if you don't get enough response.

Dark080matter

First Post
This looks like the absolute best set of House Rules for multi-classing that I've seen. I agree that the benefits of MC appear a bit too front-loaded, with vastly diminishing returns by the time you've spent all the Power Feats and given up a normal Paragon Path.

with that all said just a minor thing I noticed from your mechanical suggestions: when you mention Sneak attack/Quarry/Curse you put them in the category of Daily powers (your category number :2: ), but in the current RAW they all become per Encounter powers. Is this intentional, and if so can I talk you out of it? :D

By my reckoning about the only Class Features that ought to become Daily powers are the Inspiring/Healing Words and Channel Divinity powers.

And also, your category :3: mentions "gain a warlock pact without the boon or at-will," I assume therefore that the only mechanical advantage of having the pact would be in Paragon Path features that key off of this pact? If so you might wish to make that more obvious. Going in the same vein, might this include a limited form of Ranger class options? Obviously giving the free feat (Toughness or Mobility) is out of the question, but at least this would solve the problem of not being able to take any Ranger paragon paths.

Just some idea for when you do post this in the House Rules forum :)

fuindordm

Adventurer
Dark080matter said:
This looks like the absolute best set of House Rules for multi-classing that I've seen. I agree that the benefits of MC appear a bit too front-loaded, with vastly diminishing returns by the time you've spent all the Power Feats and given up a normal Paragon Path.

Thanks! You're the second person to have mentioned the front-loading of RAW multiclassing, which I hadn't even considered. But you're right--the auto-upgrade feature of the RAW power swap feats might make it too tempting for dabblers to stop investing in the second class.

I don't think the power swap feats are badly designed, but there definitely needs to be more incentive for paragon multiclassing.

with that all said just a minor thing I noticed from your mechanical suggestions: when you mention Sneak attack/Quarry/Curse you put them in the category of Daily powers (your category number :2: ), but in the current RAW they all become per Encounter powers. Is this intentional, and if so can I talk you out of it? :D

No, that's just my mistake. Those are closer to at-will powers for the primary class, so they should be encounter powers for the secondary class. I'll edit the original post.

And also, your category :3: mentions "gain a warlock pact without the boon or at-will," I assume therefore that the only mechanical advantage of having the pact would be in Paragon Path features that key off of this pact? ...Going in the same vein, might this include a limited form of Ranger class options?

It would have two advantages: you get to enter a paragon path, and you get more oomph out of warlock powers keyed to the pact.

Thanks to you and Raith for the useful feedback!

Ben

Dormain1

Explorer
Very well done, I have to agree with everyone about the front loading (why would anyone select skill training?) and lack of motivation to go paragon path MC

Gives the versitility without too much power, you can always dump the granted skill seeing as you can pick it up with a feat if you think its too powerful

i would maybe create another Feat to allow you to take another class feature etc but it may only be taken once ,something like

New feat: Not just a dabbler
Prerequisite: XX Multiclass, one other mutliclass feat(that way the lowest level you can get this is level 5)
Benefit: Gain one additional minor or partial class feature with the same guidelines as XX Multiclass, must choose a different option than the one granted by XX Multiclass, ie no granting 2 encounter powers etc ). Can only be taken once.

I will see if the DM will let me play test it and let you know how it goes

fuindordm

Adventurer
Dormain1 said:
New feat: Not just a dabbler
Prerequisite: XX Multiclass, one other mutliclass feat(that way the lowest level you can get this is level 5)
Benefit: Gain one additional minor or partial class feature with the same guidelines as XX Multiclass, must choose a different option than the one granted by XX Multiclass, ie no granting 2 encounter powers etc ). Can only be taken once.

Good idea. But to stay within the spirit of the current rules, I think this would have to be a paragon feat.

This gives me the idea for a new epic destiny:

POLYMATH

Your hard road towards mastery of two paths has finally borne fruit, and you become a legend in your own time. Perhaps you are the eladrin Knight Arcane who wields spell and sword with equal ease--the White Sage of the dwarves who melds righteousness with unparalleled arcane knowledge--the human Champion of the Faithful who leads armies of the devout into battle.

At level 21, you gain all class features of your secondary class, and any additional powers gained in the Epic tier may come from either class. In addition, at this level you may take the multiclassing feat a second
time to begin a third class, should you so desire.

...I'm not sure where to go from there. Any ideas?

Nikolai II

First Post
fuindordm said:
No, that's just my mistake. Those are closer to at-will powers for the primary class, so they should be encounter powers for the secondary class. I'll edit the original post.

Hunter's Quarry should be a daily, it seems. Or you could use the errata that says that it only lasts for one round per encounter..

Remove ads