• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet another Poll

Which do you prefer

• Core 3.5 only

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 3.5 Core with UA and/or OA and/or Psionics and/or restricted to home rules

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • 3.5 with all the fixings (any books or anything else allowed

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Core Pathfinder only (corebook and bestiaries)

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Pathfinder with Advanced Players guide and Bestiaries and/or restricted to home rules

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Pathfinder with all the fixings (any of the PF rulebooks allowed)

Votes: 9 20.9%

GreyLord

Legend
Recently doing a little gaming and realized that I haven't played 3.X in over a year. Instead I've been playing Pathfinder. It may have to do that I don't have many people that I know that are playing 3e or 3.5 at this point, but despite having all the books, I've been doing the PF thing instead.

To tell the truth, I think I might like PF a LOT more at this point, which struck me as odd.

So, this poll is ONLY in relation to the 3.X and Pathfinder systems. We'll simply say 3.5, if you play 3e and not 3.5, just treat it as if we were including 3e with 3.5 here.

Nothing with the older systems. Now hopefully my poll options will work.

This is NOT a bashing, edition war thread type thing. Please take that elsewhere, though please also answer.

I'm just curious at what people will prefer given both editions.

I did notice recently that the PF core books that came in sold quicker than the premium re-releases of the 3.X core books that came out, which made me even more curious.

I've been playing 3.X, simply because that is the system I was brought into DnD with, and that is the system that everyone I've been playing with wants to play. I've yet to actually hunker down and look into the Pathfinder materiel, but some of the things that I've been seeing/hearing do look promising, and I'd love for the opportunity to play a campaign of it some time.

Crothian

First Post
We use Pathfinder with all the fixings. With the Pathfinder SRD having it all on line it is just easier since most players don't care where the feat or spell they want comes from. I am surprised that even though I did get burnt out on 3.x that I don't have the same problems with Pathfinder.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I use a 3.5 base with anything allowed, including PF. And a lot of homebrewing.

I don't see any reason to limit things.

I use 3.5 as a base because of continuity and owning the books, but also because I don't think that PF really improved on the basics. There are a number of things in PF that I like (combat maneuvers and their overall take on base classes as examples), but I'd rather take them one-by-one, because there's a lot of change for the sake of change, misguided revisions, 4e-style nonsense, and problems that PF didn't fix but which other variants do.

This is NOT a bashing, edition war thread type thing.
Hey, if the edition debate is 3.5 vs. PF, the community's in a good place. The differences are pretty minor, it's mostly a matter of taste at this point. I'd play PF.

emoplato

First Post
I like both but 3.X is more streamlined and splice friendly then Pathfinder. Also their seemed to be better race choices. Pathfinder did make some great new additions to classes as well as new classes but it has a few things that really annoy me. While the idea of scaling CMB checks with BAB is good adding both str. and dex as well as AC bonus to CMD just really made combat maneuvers almost not worth doing. Another is that they stretched many single feats into 3 from 3.X. While there are more feats to be had it really seems like they wanted to limit how many special effects could be used(critical feats, stances...etc). Then finally is the lack of Prestige Class support. While 3.X heavily favored multi-classing and PrC's Pathfinder almost seems to penalize them while losing out on favored bonuses and customizable features mainly for the sake of flavor.

Last edited:

Kinak

First Post
I'm a big believer in using the right game for the right setting.

I love Golarion and have run my last few games there, so I've been using Pathfinder.

Cheers!
Kinak

Keldin

First Post
I like both editions (and am, in fact, playing games in both games). There are things I enjoy more in 3.5e (like the multitude of options and worlds), and things I like in Pathfinder (I'm a big fan of the changes they made in skills... though I would like it if I could use 3.5e's skill synergy in Pathfinder too).

Mary_Crowell

First Post
We generally use 3.5 with an entire home brewed book of house rules for our campaigns. That said, I've been running one shots on weekends that all the players can't be there. And there have been such GOOD Pathfinder modules. (Feast of Ravenmoor rocked.)

Gilladian

Adventurer
I play 3.5, E-6ified. We looked at the Pathfinder SRD, but that's about the time we decided to try E6, and nobody was up for both a whole rules switch AND a truncation at the same time, so we stayed with familiar 3.5.

I'm happy with it!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads