• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You all meet in a cell

Blackeagle

First Post
In the recent Death of the Bildungsroman thread there was a fair amount of complaint that 4e's more powerful first level characters will make Bildungsroman type starting adventures or campaigns difficult. This got me thinking about a type of initial adventure I think 4e will do well, the Elder Scrolls opening. For those who haven't played the Elder Scrolls games, they traditionally start with the main character in prison, from which he is either released or escapes, initiating the story. So, instead of starting your campaign with, "You all meet in a tavern", why not "you all meet in a prison cell" and have to escape?

Well, in 3e, I'd be reluctant to do this. Low level combat is already so swingy that I don't think I'd want to start the players off without the best equipment their starting gold can buy. You could just give them some decent gear as soon as possible (raid the prison armory on the way out?) but that seems to cut counter to the "really start on the bottom" vibe that I think a prison opening can give. With 4e, on the other hand, with it's more powerful 1st level players, I think it would be a lot easier to start a campaign this way without either getting half the party killed or immediately going Monty Haul to get the player's gear up to snuff. You probably wouldn't want to throw any super tough fights their way until they get some gear, but I think there would be room for plenty of fights with 1st and 2nd level opponents during an extended jailbreak sequence.

The new edition giveth, the new edition taketh away. Some options may be foreclosed, but I think the rules changes will open up some real opportunity for new adventures, particularly at low levels, where the DM was rather constrained by the PC's fragility.

Blackeagle

First Post
hong said:
1. The eladrin fey steps through the door.

I'd think they'd have some way of nerfing the Fey Step in prisons. Otherwise the setting would be overrun by Eladrin criminals. :D

Is their teleport LoS only? Solid doors and no windows.

hong

WotC's bitch
I actually don't mind towns being defenseless (by and large) against eladrin criminals. AFAIK, the default setting assumes eladrin for the most part stay in their tree-cities in the Feywild, so the vast majority of people will never have met one. They've probably never heard of these them, or know of their teleport superpower. If they meet one, they'll assume he's a funny looking elf until proven otherwise.

The eladrin PC is a one-in-a-million guy who decides to go adventuring on the prime. Yes, this means it's like a kid being set loose in a candy shop for the larcenously inclined. But that's also an opportunity to setup a dramatic contrast between the eladrin and everyone else. The answer is to play a character who will use his showboating powers only for good, not evil.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I'd simply not give an Eladrin a chance to rest (that or go by my system where per-Encounter becomes per-Scene), by not resting it can recharge its Fey Step.

It is pretty simple to do so too, put the Eladrin in a stress position, or have a guard bang on the bars every couple minutes.

Hammerhead

Explorer
hong said:
I actually don't mind towns being defenseless (by and large) against eladrin criminals. AFAIK, the default setting assumes eladrin for the most part stay in their tree-cities in the Feywild, so the vast majority of people will never have met one. They've probably never heard of these them, or know of their teleport superpower. If they meet one, they'll assume he's a funny looking elf until proven otherwise.

The eladrin PC is a one-in-a-million guy who decides to go adventuring on the prime. Yes, this means it's like a kid being set loose in a candy shop for the larcenously inclined. But that's also an opportunity to setup a dramatic contrast between the eladrin and everyone else. The answer is to play a character who will use his showboating powers only for good, not evil.

Or at least he'll use his powers for enlightened self-interest. That's the best you can hope for, really.

Blackeagle said:
The new edition giveth, the new edition taketh away. Some options may be foreclosed, but I think the rules changes will open up some real opportunity for new adventures, particularly at low levels, where the DM was rather constrained by the PC's fragility.
Agreed. I've been working on an campaign like the "Dirty Dozen". The problem with doing a "scouting party" or "sneaky" campaign in previous editions was manifold:
1) you needed a cleric
2) stealth skills were too hard to come by
3) low hp/BaB/AC of Rogue types made combat difficult
4) laundry-list of immunity to SA made the "death stalker" schtick near impossible

Now any character can take a feat to gain access to the Stealth Skill. Even if they don't, with a decent Dex and no armor check penalty they can "Wing It" because everyone gets 1/2 level. That's not bad. I can throw the party against any monster of appropriate level and they'll be able to overcome. A welcome change.

Remove ads