• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You all start in a....

kitsune9

Adventurer
We've all heard this sentence before:

You all start in a tavern....

...sigh....

So, let's do something fun.

You start the sentence, "You all start in a...", then choose a location, and then choose a reason for being there. It can be a small paragraph or a page, but the idea is to share so that if we have about 20 of these, it can be the introduction for about 20 adventures in which there will be no excuse for you to say to your players, "You all start in a tavern..."

I will go first:

You all start in a fog-shrouded graveyard. The moon is completely covered and offers no light. The steel from your weapons is cold in the night air and in the distance you hear the baying of wolves. Was that a glint of yellow in the distance from your light source? Perhaps not. Maybe the glow of your light sources are playing tricks on you.

You thought the gold the merchant paid you to find the murderer of his wife would be an easy job, but dead-end after dead-end now leads you and some fellow investigators to search the graveyard about a rumor of a hidden ruin. Maybe you'll uncover the truth here and find that murderer....

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here's part of one I used some years ago. This is the initial event in a chain of events in which each PC gets introduced in serial over the course of an extende cinematic chase scene.

(To a single player...)

"You start off in darkness, with a raging headache, a swelling egg-sized lump on the side of your head, and the smell of mildew in your nose. The rounded floor below you rocks around...a boat? And that echo...and splashing...

The sewers?

You suddenly realize that you never should have tried using your own crooked dice at Manny's Bones-Toss table.

Thank god they didn't find your concealed dagger..."

As originally run, the PC escapes the bag in which he's being held, flees, and eventually finds an escape into a tavern's sub-levels. His emergence from the basement into the bar proper started a fight in which one of the other PCs became an ally of the moment...

The Watch, alerted to the brawl, burst in- the 2 PCs escaping out the back where they encounter PC#3 getting mugged. Their stumbling flight knocks the would-be thugs off balance, and the (now) trio has a clear path of escape...

And so forth.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here's another:

"You dream, and in your dream, you hear the sound of your name being called...over and over...and then, a wrenching feeling...

You all awake to the sound of chanting. Each of you is on a slab in a huge, low-ceilinged circular room. Around the room are other slabs, just like yours, but empty...and the surrounding walls are dominated by torch-flanked recesses full of skeletal remains, each in unique attire- almost all some kind of battle garb. The skeletons are from all kinds of creatures, some you recognize, some you do not.

As your eyes adjust to the darkness, you realize that your slabs are actually mounted on a raised circular platform, surrounded by concentric stairs that descend about 10 feet. In that darker, lower level kneeling prostrate, are small but burly humanoid figures- the source of the chanting.

One of them, clearly a priest or shaman of some sort, raises his eyes to you. He speaks: 'We have called you, heroes. We have called you from across time and space. We have called you as our ancestors called others before you. We have called you because we need you and your protection from the foes that would wipe us from existence. Please, heroes, aid us.'

There is but one exit, a pair of doors- large, stony and rune-covered...and it begins to vibrate with the force of a battering ram being applied to its other side."

aco175

Legend
One of my last campaigns started as each member of the party "slowly openes your eyes and streches the stiffness out of your bones, as if they have not been used in ages. Around you you see several other people doing the same, along with other statues still frozen in time. Your mind focuses on the last image of the medusa that placed you here, how long has it been. Who are these others? As you shake out the last aftereffects of being petrified the door on the other side of the chamber opens"

Role initiative!

saethone

First Post
one that was used on me - paraphrased:

"You start in your home in the forest. Your father had gone out hunting, but you decided to stay and work on your studies. Suddenly you hear commotion outside." I ran outside to find my father under attack by some unknown assailants. I failed to save him, but during the fight, another party member arrived - he had been sent here to find me by my father. We were the only two players during the first session.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
"You awake from a dreamless slumber. Your senses are sharp, but your emotions seem flat...you care about nothing, not even who the others around you are, and why they look like they do.

All that matters is The Call...

You follow its pull, down the corridors of a castle- or is it a dungeon?- it doesn't matter.

Finally, you come to a massive pair of iron-bound wooden doors, which open smoothly and silently as you approach.

You enter the room beyond, a lab...a powerful Wizard's lab, filled to every corner with things arcane and profane.

Standing before a glowing mirror on the wall stands the Wizard who called you here. His clothing is ragged, moth-eaten and torn...

His back is to you, one whithered hand running over a bit of text in the tome lying open on the table next to him, syllables that emerge from his lips bounce off of your mind without your understanding them. The mirror clouds, then an image forms- it is a group of adventurers, picking their way through underbrush, finding a concealed door to an underground lair...

'They come.' the Wizard hisses, turning towards you, revealing the dessicated face of undeath and power, "They come to take and plunder my lair, to disturb me in my studies! Just like you tried before them...*cackle* Now, my thralls- the lot of you shall make sure that I am not disturbed. Go! Destroy them!'

Almost as one, you turn your backs on the Old Master, going forth to slay his foes...and by doing so, add to his kingdom..."

In this setup, the party is composed of undead in thrall to a Lich, Vampire, Ghost, Mummy or similar undead spellcaster whom they tried to defeat in life. They are fully intelligent and capable of using their abilities, but they are completely at his beck & call as undead servants. The overall object of the campaign is to cast off the magical shackles that bind them to the Old Master's will and defeat him...hopefully finding either true death (and the afterlife) or regaining the life they lost.

fba827

Adventurer
It's getting dark as you walk near the docks, the salty sea air kissing your face ...

Perhaps you work nearby, perhaps you are simply out for a stroll, or perhaps you are on your way to a tavern to look for strangers sitting alone in the corner... but, whatever the reason, you find yourselves walking near the docks late at night.

(the various PCs can be entering the scene from different angles/street directions/etc).

As you pass, you see a series of dark forms crawling out from the underside of the docks ...

weem

First Post
Hmmm...

You all start in a tavern... well, within the foundation of what will one day be a tavern. You were all hired (along with others) to help construct the towns first tavern... there are of course bars here in town, however this fine establishment will one day be the place where adventures are begun... but for now, your adventure consists of digging and hammering... lifting and complaining... at least you had found work...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads