• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You are the head of a major network: Firefly vs the new Battlestar Galactica

Based only one their first season which would you have chosen to stick around?

fett527

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
Firefly. There is no comparison. It has better actors, better scripts, and a more coherent storyline. It is also not as depressing. I like BSG, but Firefly would win any contest I judged.
Better actors? Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnel and you think Firefly has better actors?

BSG wins for me hands down. Firefly has made me laugh, but I have had much more enjoyment from the mystery and intrigue of BSG.

Firefly is a great show, and a lot of fun, but BSG has a way of completely taking all my attention and keeping me on the edge of my seat for every single episode. I have to say BSG, as it just feels so much more satisfying to watch and then get to the next episode to see what's going to happen after that. Its almost like not being able to put a book down because its just so interesting.

IcyCool

First Post
Firefly is on of my all-time favorite shows, and I would give almost anything to have it back on the air. Anything, that is, except for Battlestar Galactica. My vote goes for BG.

Jamdin

Explorer
I would combine the two, give the cast members laser fly swatters and call it Fly Battle of the Fire Stars ;)

Seriously, the choice would be very hard to make. I love Battlestar Galactica for the intensity and Firefly for the sense of adventure. Both shows have great characters. However, when it comes right down to it, I would choose Battlestar Galactica.

sniffles

First Post
I'd have to choose Firefly. I just can't get interested in Battlestar Galactica. The characters don't grip me, the stories don't involve me. I don't care whether they live or die. But I care about the crew of Serenity. I want to know what they're doing. I want to know more about the universe they live in.

Phaedrus

First Post
Firefly. Hands down.

BG is growing tiresome (in my lame Dieter voice).

I could see how Firefly could wear out, if they continued the same trend as the existing episodes (self-contained 1-hour stories). But it would be very easy to do long-term stories (like BG does). Another Browncoat war being an obvious possibility.

Atridis

First Post
BSG is some pretty heavy drama. Main characters shoot each other. Heroes shove bad guys out of airlocks. Heroes order the summary imprisonment of other heroes. Cute, spunky fighter pilots get shredded by gunfire, burn alive in their cockpits, and suffer drug-fueled emotional breakdowns. Firefly, on the other hand, has Jayne (whom I f'ing love, btw - "I told you to just scare him!" "Well... Pain is scary...").

BSG also makes more use of the lengthy screen-time available for creating involved stories and exploring complex characters, but at the same time it doesn't mess around with slowly-unfolding "mythology stories" like The X-Files used to. Miss an episode of BSG and you have to spend your lunch break surfing the web, trying to find out what happened. Firefly has an episodic story-telling style, miss an episode and nothing much will have changed when you return. Heck, they were shown out of order the first time around, and a lot of people never noticed.

Unfortunately, all of that makes Firefly a better choice for a network executive. Comedies, or "dramedies", are much more accessible to the public. Shows that require constant attention, shows with intricate ongoing plotlines, have a very difficult time attracting new viewers. Firefly would be easier for a new viewer to jump into mid-season.

Firefly is also an adventure show, where Galactica is a drama and, for better or for worse, most people associate science fiction with the former. This means that the people who didn't like Blade Runner "because it was boring" will be annoyed when three episodes of Galactica in a row end with no gunfire or dog-fights or robots. At the same time, lots of people who "don't like science fiction" will simply never give Galactica a chance, in favor of yet another police or medical procedural show.

The SFX of the two shows support their particular spin on sci-fi. For instance, exterior shots of the Galactica show a gigantic tin can, unmoving, floating silently in space. Meanwhile, exterior shots of Serenity show it engaging its afterburners and accelerating loudly away from the camera. The most recent episode of BSG featured a gripping dogfight during which the viewer gets to see...

the crew of the ship's Combat Information Center staring at their displays and not speaking. It was awesome.

As a fan I prefer to watch Battlestar Galactica, without a second thought.

As a network executive, I'd give Firefly the green light.

Ranger REG

Explorer
John Crichton said:
Of course they are both enjoyable but there is no fun in just staying put. The point of this is to play the head of a network for one day. You get to keep one show but have to kill the other. Which would you choose?

C'mon, you know you wanna. :)
Which network I'm working for?

I´d go for Battlestar Galactica, even if plainly for the reason that I am currently fully entangled in the storyline and Firefly happend a long time ago.

I think Galactica is even more innovative than Firefly. Firefly still uses many common concepts at least known from Buffy and Angel (the characters build their own happy family), but that probably have been around for a long time now. Galactica is different, and enjoyable so.

Though I must admit, I would hate having to chose - but at least one is better than none.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads