You crack open the beholder and find scrolls.

Variant Beholders

We all know, I think that beholders are highly prone to dramatic mutation and the profligation of various sub-species of beholder - it is therefore somewhat surprising to me that no one here has correctly identified this variant beholder. Known for carrying its treasure inside its body and for fighting viciously to protect this treasure, this creature is generally known as a WITH-HOLDER.
:eek:

Zappo

Explorer
Isn't there a Book of Vile Darkness spell that lets you replace your eye with one from a beholder? And there is a spellcasting base class in the Book of Erotic Fantasy which uses Comeliness as its spellcasting stat... hmm... with a bit of spell research, you could say that "the beholder lies in the eye of the beauty"!

Len

Prodigal Member
freebfrost said:
Anyway, what are the weirdest places you have found (or placed) treasure?
I can't beat the beholder story, but we fought a naga once...

It spat a bead of force at us, and then it used a wand to heal itself. How does a naga use a wand? Well, it keeps the wand in its stomach, and when needed it regurgitates the wand, holds it in its prehensile tongue, and mumbles the magic word. Then it swallows the wand again.

Naturally we cut that one open after we killed it. And sure enough, we found some potions and the wand in its stomach.

Drowbane

First Post
groan....

BiggusGeekus said:
Scrolls? That is odd. Wouldn't you find a nymph located in the creature's ocular organ instead?

After all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

that...hurt...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My PCs once found a pair of nunchaku after fighting a pack of Slaad. He must've eaten a Monk in a hurry...

-- N

Runesong42

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
The standard quote for looking for treasure in odd monsters is "I cut open his spleen and look for emeralds." And every once in a while, they find one.

Demiurge out.

ROFLMAO!

After reading this, I laughed so hard I nearly choked on my soda and ruined my keyboard. That's definitely a quotable quote.

ShrooMofDooM

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
Scrolls? That is odd. Wouldn't you find a nymph located in the creature's ocular organ instead?

After all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

double-u tee eff. That's all I have to say on that matter.

As for finding treasure in odd places, my friends and I never really gave it much thought. I guess we just figured it was just. . .there.

We did find a goblin in a very odd place when my very immature friend was DMing once (and that was his only time doing it, mind you). He said that a goblin emerged from a dead miner's body. It just burst forth from his stomach. Yep. That was a weird day.

Remove ads