Level Up (A5E) You don't hate exploration, you hate survival

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Gold for XP didn't disappear in 2e, it was made optional. It's still right there in the book.
I figured someone would remember it. I just recalled the special XP awards by class and Thieves got a special award for it. 1E and early 2E sort of blur together after all this time for me. Thanks!

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
2e's Experience chapter is in the DMG, pages 45-49. Lots of great advice for non-combat XP rewards in there. There is a small sidebar on page 47 that offers gold for XP as an option.
I thought you were saying that it was in 5e somewhere.

[edit] So I feel like the point by @FrogReaver about guidance for those rules in 5e still applies.

And for some reason when I heard the phrase "didn't dissapear in 2e," I thought you meant that it was preprinted and accomodated for 5e somehow. Please keep in mind that some of us were never formed in the 2e ruleset in the first place and aren't moving forward with that knowledge. For us it certianly has dissapeared.

Last edited:

Xethreau

I don't confine myself to what's in any given book.
I hope you can see how that inheres a non-normative perspective.

[edit] And how the point by @PJ Coffey inheres the normative perspective as expressed by 5e's designers, that killing monsters is how you get XP.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I hope you can see how that inheres a non-normative perspective.

[edit] And how the point by @PJ Coffey inheres the normative perspective as expressed by 5e's designers, that killing monsters is how you get XP.
I don't see the value of a normative perspective here, as it is far too limiting to be useful to me.

Xethreau

I don't see the value of a normative perspective here, as it is far too limiting to be useful to me.
This thread exists to be helpful to more people than those as enlightened as yourself, including those [edit] mainly familiar with 5e/A5E as presented.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This thread exists to be helpful to more people than those as enlightened as yourself, including those [edit] mainly familiar with 5e/A5E as presented.
If you're going to assume everyone you're talking to is solely interested in WotC 5e, and no other material need apply, you're going to have to call that out. I refuse to assume it.

Remove ads