"You enter a 10 ft. x 10 ft. room. You see Cthulhu. Roll for Initiative."

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
LOL @ focallength.

You are talking to the guy that used to have a yellow sign and the sigil from the Necronomicon on his leather jacket back in the old days...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've used aspects of horror that I think are most commonly found in Cthulhu mythos stuff, insofar as any mentionof tentacles sems to make gamers thinkk Cthulhu. It can be argued that illithids and aboleths are cthuloid. But I've not used anything directly.

But then, I've not used any cosmologies in which they'd fit, either.

BWP

Explorer
Keeper of Secrets said:
In any event, the evil high priest (pretending to be a good priest) eventually cursed the king's daughter's wedding by summoning Hastur as his own dying breath.

Let me guess -- Hastur got drunk, kept making loud comments during the Best Man's speech, vomited on the cake and then passed out in the middle of the dance floor?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
BWP said:
Let me guess -- Hastur got drunk, kept making loud comments during the Best Man's speech, vomited on the cake and then passed out in the middle of the dance floor?

Well... that certainly is plenty unspeakable!

:)

I've always had them as very difficult to summon, but remaining the -only- deities in my game world that every manifest physically. Deities in my games are generally ideas and ideals, not creatures with form and avatars. But the mythos... they are different. Theyshow up and spread chaos every now and again.

HellHound said:
I -do- love the sanity rules, but I don't feel they belong in D&D, even with the mythos involved.
I admit; Sanity and horror rules are a bit of a quirk of mine. Maybe more like a fetish.

I suppose it all depends on if you want the game to be "D&D with Cthulhu" or some hybrid between the two. That's why I asked; it makes a difference in presentation, I think.

Gez

First Post
focallength said:
WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?! Just going around throwing names out like you trying to choose baby names!

Well, my kids are named Hastur, Dagon, and Shudde-Mel.

Hastur, I always have to call him at least thrice before he deigns answering. :mad:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Our GM Scott, aka Doomed Batallions, just had us fight the avatar of Nyarlathotep or the Black Pharho the other day. Good stuff with two PC's getting the whack job and another getting knocked down to -7.

Altalazar

First Post
I love Cthulu and Lovecraft - so creepy. Long before I actually read any of it, though, someone DMd an adventure that I figured out afterwards was actually based on the mythos - involving a mysterious old seaside town and strange sea creatures (which did not make an appearance til well into the adventure). It was a fun adventure (wholly made up) by a guy who is now a professional playright (and he has had many plays produced). Though, sad to say, I've not seen any of them, as they are all far away from me.

Remove ads