• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You must try Katamari Damacy for PS2

Clint

Journeyman Linguist
Bought this game on a lark, brand new for $20 US (which is what you'll find it for). It is easily the most fun, addictive, and thoroughly insane game I've played since Chu Chu Rocket for Dreamcast. And Tycho from Penny Arcade agrees in his latest news post (aside from the Chu Chu Rocket--he just says it's the best $20 he's ever spent on gaming).

The only problem with the game is that it's really difficult to describe. I'm a writer, and words just cannot describe the insanity/fun. I suggest that you try Penny Arcade's brief writeup for a start, but don't really read much more than that. If you're open to cool new gaming, this is about the best that you could hope for. I feel like my expectations are being blown (in a good way), and I've been videogaming for a long time.

Just looking to spread the joy. :)

robaustin

First Post
There is not a PC version.

I'll try and describe - but keep in mind when ANYONE has had this game described to them- they think it's the dubest concept they have ever heard of.

Basically, you move a little guy around who is pushing a ball called a "Katamari." Things stick to the Katamari, so as you roll it past things - thumbtack, push pins, etc... stick to it. You start out small, picking up these small things. As the ball gets biggers, it's more cumbersome to move around. The object of each level is to "roll up" stuff to make the ball a certain size. In the first few levels it's just little stuff. As the levels go on, the stuff gets bigger until you are finally rolling up houses, cars, etc..

Yeah I said it sounds like the dumbest game in the world. But there is something amazingly satisfying about playing it. The controls are pure and simple - you use both analog sticks like you're driving a tank. There is nothing else to know.

Why is it so cool and addictive? Because it has this style - that quirky japanese style - from the simple yet weird graphics to the catchy theme song and music throughout the game. It harkens back to when games were simpler - and you didn't have to do much to learn how to play them. Yeah, there are special things in the levels - and other special levels and stuff to discover. But at its base all you really need to do is roll around, pick stuff up and make your ball bigger within a certain time limit. That's it.

It's kind of like describing old games - say I tried to tell you about Pac Man. I'd say "You're this Yellow Dot with a mouth and you have to go around eating little white dots. You're being chased by ghosts and when you eat a power pellet you can eat the ghosts." Sounds purely dumb in today's game environment. But even now, Pac-Man is still satisfying. And in that way - Katamari Damacy is too.

It has a two player head to head version as well. Also- it's totally family friendly - which so few games are these days.

You have GOT to play this game if you have a PS2. Get it. Now. Go!

--*Rob

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I saw Tycho's rave about this game, and tried to find it this past weekend, with no luck. I'll be sure to look for it again next weekend when I'm out of town...

Purple

First Post
I picked it up (largely based on the PA review, and the fact that it was only $20), and gave it a shot this weekend. It's...hard to describe. I've never really played anything like it.

I've only played about 5 or 6 missions, and I only had to replay one of them (they are all, so far, timed). If you haven't seen it, all of the missions (at least, so far) have you starting out with a small sized Katamari (a ball that you roll around), which collects things that are below a certain size. As your Katamari gets bigger, you can pick up other things. The last mission I played I had a goal of getting up to a 3 meter diameter ball, and was able to roll on the beach and pick up people. :)

While I haven't played multi-player, it looks like it would be fun, too. All in all, I think this will be a great game to tide me over until GTA:SA hits.

:D

Lee

LightPhoenix

First Post
I just got it this weekend. My roomie and I have seen the intro movie about three times each, and we can't help but laugh at the total absurdity of it. It's wonderful!

The game is really fun too, though I'm kinda stuck at one stage (Make A Star 4) because I'm just not familiar enough with the layout of the board, the controls, or any of the good spots to hit. I can get about halfway there (around 50cm) before I just run out of time. I'll have to play some more... I think I'm not making good enough use of dashing.

Remove ads