• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your best combat descriptions

Tayne

First Post
Player X Scores a deadly hit! His trident flies from his hands, separating the goblin's head from his shoulders and pinning it against the far wall. The headless goblin does the fish dance for a little while, spraying blood around the room before falling down dead.

I would share more of my own, but they tend to be in-jokey with my tight-knit group.

What have you got?

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
You feel your axe cleave through several ribs, each rib cracking separately from your mighty blow. Vast quantities of blood drop to the floor. You take your axe out of his ribcage, and your opponent slumps to the floor like a ragdoll, dead as dead can be.

You slash open your opponent's gut, who is now frantically trying to keep his innards in. It is to no avail. His intestines litter the ground and he keels over dead.

Loonook

First Post
The troll tears apart (a teddy bear), spreading bones and stuffing everywhere.

Why yes it was a PC reincarnated in the form of a bound object teddy bear. Why do you ask?

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Tayne

First Post
The troll tears apart (a teddy bear), spreading bones and stuffing everywhere.

Why yes it was a PC reincarnated in the form of a bound object teddy bear. Why do you ask?

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Maybe this is a weird detail to fixate on, but why was the teddy bear full of bones?

Your fireball roars across the room with terrifying speed and detonates in the midst of the goblins. The goblins, being unable to react quickly enough, are blow apart in the explosion into millions of tiny pieces. A finger from one of them lands in your hair and the iron-tinged smell of evaporated blood and burnt flesh assails your nostrils...

FickleGM

Explorer
Some questions popped into my head while reading this thread:

Why do DMs feel the need to narrate the results of the PCs attacks?

Do any players have some good combat descriptions?

Does anyone have good combat descriptions that aren't over-the-top killing blows?

Not that I don't find the descriptions above to be useful...well, at least in the sense that they made me chuckle, but this thread could be an exercise (or at least provide examples) of how folk make combat more descriptive and/or interesting.

Remove ads