• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your best combat descriptions

FickleGM

Explorer
The Rolemaster critical hit charts were one after another of these things.

I never really saw the point.
I agree. If someone posts some cool examples that demonstrate techniques for making combat more descriptive/colorful, while not bogging it down in cringe-worthy prose, I might find some use for it.

I'm definitely interested in examples where the DM doesn't take narrative control of a player's character in order to describe how he thinks the super-awesome killing blow took place.

Tayne

First Post
Some questions popped into my head while reading this thread:

Why do DMs feel the need to narrate the results of the PCs attacks?

Do any players have some good combat descriptions?

Does anyone have good combat descriptions that aren't over-the-top killing blows?

Not that I don't find the descriptions above to be useful...well, at least in the sense that they made me chuckle, but this thread could be an exercise (or at least provide examples) of how folk make combat more descriptive and/or interesting.

For minor blows I like stuff like "You bangle him right in the gulliver." I keep that stuff light and short and save the good ones for the kills.

Last edited:

I just feel that like with my example I could say something like I did or I could go:

"The Goblins all fail their reflex saving throws, you hit all of them with that fireball's explosion - roll your damage - yep they are all dead" <-- This to me is less cinematic and so bland.

Why not go with something a little bit more descriptive if it fits the scene and gets the point across that the fireball hit them and killed them all?

Not everything has to be a "killing-blow." Perhaps it's a miss and instead of saying "you miss with that swing..." you say something a bit more descriptive like, "your swing clangs harmlessly off of the orc's armor and he laughs mercilessly at you while reading his next counter-attack with an evil grin..."

Niccodaemus

First Post
I just feel that like with my example I could say something like I did or I could go:

"The Goblins all fail their reflex saving throws, you hit all of them with that fireball's explosion - roll your damage - yep they are all dead" <-- This to me is less cinematic and so bland.

Why not go with something a little bit more descriptive if it fits the scene and gets the point across that the fireball hit them and killed them all?

Not everything has to be a "killing-blow." Perhaps it's a miss and instead of saying "you miss with that swing..." you say something a bit more descriptive like, "your swing clangs harmlessly off of the orc's armor and he laughs mercilessly at you while reading his next counter-attack with an evil grin..."

I think there is room to do a little of this now and then. My fireballs are a little different. Rather than them shoot out of a caster's hand or something like that, they start out as dozens of little embers that materialize in the air all around the room. Then they all dive towards the target point and BOOM!

So it would be appropriate to say that the "the smell of sulphur stings your nose as small embers materialize in the air above the fray. You see the goblins look up, surprise and terror on their faces, just before they are consumed in flame. The intense heat washes over you. They die without even having time to scream. You smell burning hair, and realize it is your eyebrows. The nauseating smell of charred goblin then wafts over the room"

But would you want to do this with every fireball cast?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

Yes, that is the only reason my weird wizard warrior (the WWW) mix in one of the games I played broke out the super damage spells instead of going in axe wielding :D Our GM's descriptions were so colorful and funny it sometimes took a while for us to stop laughing.

Admittedly, he only had 2 big spells per day...

Best description was a short one though. Super tall ogre barbarian
against super small halfling cleric who had no spells left and considered it a good idea to step in the enemy's way with a raised club.

"Ogre hits, boom. Halfling soup."

If it's appropriate and fits the mood - i.e. they ALL fail their saving throws. Otherwise I'd describe it a bit differently, maybe having some leap out of the way and try to put out the fire that is on their pants... I think it comes down to personal style and the group you are in. Maybe players don't appreciate a DM taking a more cinematic route to the battles and just want to roll the dice and either hit/kill or miss just rolling with the damages, that's fine too, I won't judge. I think people just need to have fun regardless of style.

Water Bob

Adventurer
I would share more of my own, but they tend to be in-jokey with my tight-knit group.

What have you got?

Mine are sometimes funny but usually realistic. And, sometimes I go for a dramatic element.

A few game sessions ago, a young, 16 year old PC killed for the first time in combat.

"Your dirk plunged into the man's gut. You feel the blood pour over your grip. It's warm on your hand, and you can feel the man's resistance to you give way--his body start to go slack. You're staring right into his eyes, and his focus seems at your but also somewhere past you. The smell of his open gut invades your nostrils, and when a puff of breath blows into your face, you realize it was the man's last.

"His knees give, and you slide him to the floor. His body slips off your dirk as you let him drop. Blood drips from your crimson dirk.

"You know that you've just killed your first man."

Then, at my first opportunity to catch the PC sleeping (maybe that night), I'll describe a nightmare or another dream to remind the player what the man's face looked like when the life drained out of it.

Aran Thule

First Post
'The succubus swoops in intent on her target but fails to realise the reach of the guarding paladins glaive, the target suddenly finds himself sprayed with gore and abyssyl juices.'

Full power attack critical(x3) with a good weapon, i think i did three times the damage needed to kill her.

Remove ads