Your best dungeon crawl?

Breakstone

First Post
What's your fondest memory of a dungeon crawl? What made it so cool?

Were there traps? Mystery? Orcs mutated by a strange green goo that feel from space in a big metal comet?

Was there pie?

Was the dungeon a published one? Or did you make it up? How did you go by creating it?

Was it randomly generated? Did this work for you?

As a player, why did you enjoy crawling through this dungeon? As a DM, why did you enjoy running it?

I'm all ears (er... eyes) and taking notes folks. Lay it on me.

(please!)

Halivar

First Post
My favorite was a dungeon crawl dotted with anti-magic fields.

Months earlier, in a different campaign, I managed to get my hands on a blue Ancient Wyrm that got polymorphed into a kitten which I named 'Sparky' and kept in my backpack. I promptly forgot about him.

Anyhow, I have this magic sword that can talk. I have him hum a tune so I know when I'm passing through an anti-magic field. This happens:

DM: Donovan, you're walking down the corridor, when all of a sudden, Iji (my sword) stops humming.
Me: Ok, folks, it's an anti-magic field.
DM: By the way, did you ever take Sparky out of your backpack?
Me: Sparky? What's tha-- OH ****!!!

Turns out the whole dungeon was planned with this in mind. Gotta hand it to the DM... it was good.

Last edited:

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I needed a two-story Castle, long and thin so that it could block access across a mountain pass. I used Jamis Buck's genrator set to "long and thin" Whipped off two of them, Placed the maps atop one another and added apporpriate staircases.

Voila! It was the most fun I can remember using a Dungeon Crawl.

Wormwood

Adventurer
As a player: The orignal Ravenloft module. The module itself was fun (and trust me, we played it as an old-school dungeon crawl). What makes it stand out is that after we had defeated Strahd, we decided to simply keep the Mansion for ourselves. We spent weeks of real time picking out the furniture, procuring monsters as guardians setting up fiendish traps---because we knew our DM would waste no time sending groups of NPC adventurers after us to loot our 'dungeon'.

As a DM: City of the Spider Queen (spoilers below)
Because the party thought it would be cute to cast Wind Walk on themselves and bypass the entire Underdark journey---just blow straight from the Drow Outpost to Maermyrdra in one jump. Even better, they decided to bypass the bulk of Maermydra in the same fashion, speeding directly to the BBEGs as fast as they could.

Naturally, they bypassed a fortune in XP and magic items, so they ended up dealing with encounter levels far above their own.

My favorite TPK.

Breakstone

First Post
As a player: The orignal Ravenloft module. The module itself was fun (and trust me, we played it as an old-school dungeon crawl). What makes it stand out is that after we had defeated Strahd, we decided to simply keep the Mansion for ourselves. We spent weeks of real time picking out the furniture, procuring monsters as guardians setting up fiendish traps---because we knew our DM would waste no time sending groups of NPC adventurers after us to loot our 'dungeon'.

Hey, that's pretty cool! Were you able to hold onto the mansion for the rest of the campaign?

Krieg

First Post
Wormwood said:
because we knew our DM would waste no time sending groups of NPC adventurers after us to loot our 'dungeon'.
[/color]

Adventurers be darned. I would have had a mob of villagers with pitch-forks & torches pay visit to the usurpers. :D

Wormwood

Adventurer
Tsunami said:
Hey, that's pretty cool! Were you able to hold onto the mansion for the rest of the campaign?
Yep. IIRC, first he sent a band of vampires (allies of Strahd's) against us, then we had to deal with Orcus cultists who wanted to turn the place into a shrine to the Demon-Lord of Undeath.

He caught us with our pants down on that one, since the cult infiltrated the ranks of our domestic servants.

We won, but after a bloodbath.

Campaign ended shortly thereafter (aka: graduation), but it's my fondest D&D memory.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Krieg said:
Adventurers be darned. I would have had a mob of villagers with pitch-forks & torches pay visit to the usurpers. :D
Me too ;)

If memory serves, the villagers were happy under our benevolent rulership (well, not so benevolent, considering that we were a pretty amoral bunch), but we did refrain from blood-drinking (literally as well as our tax policy).

Still, as I mentioned in my last post, a few months later Orcus cultists infiltrated the village and stirred up a little rebellion. We ended up putting most of the village to the sword.

Hmm. Maybe benevolent isn't the word I was thinking of.

Last edited:

FoxWander

Adventurer
It's a tie between White Plume Mountain way back when that was a new module and going ALL THE WAY through Return to the Tomb of Horrors when I was last stationed in Japan a few years ago.

White Plume Mountain is mostly memorable because we spent most of the adventure against a fellow player. See we were going thru the water filled corridors at the beginning and got ambushed by ghouls. The Dwarf in our party (the one who tried to kill us the rest of the adventure) was in the lead (so we could fire over his head if attacked) and he got hit by almost all the ghouls in the first round when they came up out of the water and failed all but one save against the paralyzation. The way our DM played multiple effects like that was that the durations stacked. So he was gonna be paralyzed for almost half an hour. But we didn't know this as characters. We were very good about not playing with out-of-character knowledge so all we knew was we just saw him get hit 8 times in an ambush and drop- we assumed he was dead. After we finished off the ghouls we came back and, still assuming he was dead, did what all good adventurers would do- we looted his "corpse"! :D Needless to say the Dwarf's player was quite upset by this.

So we finish that part of the dungeon and start back for the other parts. When we come back to where we left our "dead" companion, he's not there! We had to assume he'd become a ghoul, AND we figured he was hunting us down somewhere in the dungeon- which turned out to be true. When his paralysis had worn off, he had vowed to kill us both and get his stuff back. We spent the rest of the dungeon not only fighting the local critters but also playing cat and mouse with the Dwarf. It eventually culminated in an ambush we set in the room beyond the disk bridge after we had defeated the vampire guardian there. We set multiple traps along the approach corrider and were set to harrass him with bolts and arrows as he attempted to cross the disk bridge over the geysers. It turned into an anti-climax though, as he got knocked off the second disk when one of the geysers blew and he died in the boiling mud. :( :p Great fun though, for everyone !

Return to the Tomb of Horrors was fun as a long excercise in perserverance and greed. :D It turns out I had an old character which had partially been thru the Tomb of Horrors, but had never finished it because too many party members got killed. The DM let me play this character since he knew the original dungeon wasn't the main challenge for us. Plus the city and second dungeon would be all new anyway. So since we were high enough level to not be very challenged by the original dungeon (being VERY cautious, smart and with a partial guide), we spent most of our time there scrapping every last bit of wealth we could out of it. It drove the DM crazy but between TWO portable holes, the Shrink Item spell and just being very determined/inventive we managed to get almost every last copper out of there. (We even came back for the mithral and adamantite doors after the whole things was finished and Acererack's magical protections were gone!!) Then we just had to hang on and fight our way thru the rest of it! A very challenging adventure and quite alot of fun.

Remove ads