• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your best fight vs. a Dragon.

Filcher

First Post
kamicosmos said:
Way back, second ed. My party was clearing out a keep that we knew housed a Red Dragon. Our goal was kill the dragon, keep the keep.

We were playing around with a Deck of Many Things. I got lucky, my card was 'Defeat the next Creature You See'. I shut my eyes, and quickly say "Quick, blindfold me!" I spent the bulk of the game 'blindfolded' until we got to the dragon's lair. Party prepped me, took off the blindfold, and I opened my eyes. 1 Dead Red. :lol:

Hands down awesome.

Filcher said:
This was AD&D and we were in middle school so bear with me.

A monk, magic-user/thief, ranger, and paladin are trekking through the Sea of Dust. Blue dragon starts tracking them and finally makes his move, diving out of the sun.

PCs are all 10th level-ish, and this is AD&D, so they make short work of the dragon ... even going so far as to subdue the poor guy.

Standing proud atop their conquered dragon, they declare: "Tell us where your lair is and we'll let you go." Visions of unguarded treasure hoards are dancing in their heads.

The dragon lies. Gives them directions to a hoard, but is a the lair of a dracolich instead. (I had just read Spellfire and loved the illo. in White Plume Mtn.)

Party marches off to the cave to collect their loot. Draolich surprises them (both the PCs and players). I immediately go to all dice rolled out in the open.

Roll for initiative, PCs win and hammer on the lich to little avail. Draco fires off a chain lightning, that kills every PC except the paladin ... who is down to 1 hp.

Time stops for a moment. Our heroes haven't even hurt the dracolich yet. Everyone searches their magic item/loot lists. Paladin finds something and has a hushed conference with the other players away from the table. Players come back, white as ghosts.

We roll for initiative (still out in the open).

Paladin wins.

Raises ring of wishes with 1 wish left ...

... and wishes the party back in time 30 minutes.

And did they go back to the Dracolich lair again?

Olaf the Stout

Loonook

First Post
Okay . . . since we're talking about dragons, I have one as a player and as a DM.

I was stuck in a friend's campaign; she was the type of DM who didn't so much believe in railroading as she believed in making sure you were all lined up in neat rows and set on tracks ready to go where they pulled. I was playing a Barbarian with a sort of 'Noble Savage' air (got Knowledge (Tactics) and (Local) in a Thug variant sort of character path) after being denied 8 different character choices. Eight. Yeah... at this point I was about done with the game. However, she begged the two of us who were writing up characters to just go with it... so we were forced to settle on playing 'basic' characters (though my buddy did get to get the Daggerspell Mage, he wasn't allowed to get any decent daggers... even though we were sponsored by the 'magic' kingdom, and I was left to scrape for a decent sword to fight with).

I built a character around Reckless Attack/Power Attack, just messing around. I mean, when you have an AC approaching a great wyrm's because you aren't allowed to play any other character and get bored, you go with it.

We do a sort of high-level gladiatorial thing, where I use my Knowledge of Tactics (and the assistance of a rogue who had been friendly to me before) to find out what the other guy is bringing to the party. If he's using spears, I'm getting in close. If he's using sword and board, I do the distance. I rely on him to screw up and the ridiculously nice ability scores (I think my lowest was around 13 because the Dice Gods were happy with me) I have to back me up. I start seeing a lot of railroading... because they start using tactics against me and dealing immense amounts of damage for people who are still able to hit my AC.

So we check the sheets, and she claims to be providing me 'a challenge'. Meanwhile, my poor Daggerspell buddy ate it in the third round to an Archmage who appears out of nowhere.

Next session goes, nothing too bad. We get sent on a short mission... the mission is prompted by us, and we think it may just be that she had the first game willies with our group.

Then comes the Dragon.

We're camped near a nice little protected pasture, autumn turning to winter. Crisp night, we're enjoying ourselves, and we drink pretty heavily with our soldier buddies, telling stories for a good 30 minutes. Awesome roleplaying session, we think. Then... we get to bed, and a Wyrm appears out of the clear blue sky. We are startled by the commotion (I was still awake, my Daggerspell buddy woke up to a solid Listen check of 'A dragon is destroying your encampment' DC).

So we watch the dragon go away. Meanwhile, we're not getting paid for that type of damage, and it's a freaking dragon. I decide I want to follow it, and my buddy agrees. She slaps on her conductor hat, and decides we cannot see the dragon which is flying on a full moon under crisp clear skies... no way to discern the direction of a flying manor house making noise and dragging a few oxen.

We decide to investigate, and our high Survival skills kick in. We are informed that it is impossible for us to follow said dragon in any way. NPCs attempt to hold us back from our quest.

At this point, I just want to die to a dragon, put my character sheet away, and keep dignity. But, I am angry to the point of frothing. I haven't exercised free will in 12 game hours without being told I'm not 'playing my character' right. I have also had the wonder of not being able to play a character I would enjoy playing.

So I decide to follow the dragon, or walk. She complains about it, but at this point her two players just want to burn their sheets and her DM's Certification and go have a round at the bar, drown our sorrows.

A half hour later, we are following the dragon. You see, it is impossible (well, highly difficult) to follow the tracks of a flying creature. It is, however, something completely different to follow the house-sized creature which is still within Spot range and observable.

We climb, we climb, we climb some more... and we get to the lair. One of our wondrous mages decides to come along with us for the ride. Just to end this game, I remind her that she agreed with the Daggerspell player that certain types of effects should stack...

One of those effects was Ray of Enfeeblement.

A dozen or so wand-charges and castings later, the dragon is at 1 Strength and she gets why we both asked her fervently whether the Ray itself was a stacking effect. However, though the dragon is wearing some sort of armor and a torc the size of a small mill wheel, he is still up and fighting with no encumberance.

This problem is solved by the Wave of Exhaustion cast the next round.

I sort of felt bad doing that Coup d'Grace... nah... We quit the game posthaste after a celebratory pint and some outright weeping from our poor, bedraggled, railroading DM.

-----------------

Okay, as a DM, the best dragon encounter actually included my Daggerspell buddy, the DM from the previous, and a handful of faceless players on an IRC game. We had all been separated due to work and a graduate program for one of the players, so we were in a low level game, I think 3rd-5th level was the base range. One of the faceless players decided to play a mounted paladin type, and the rest are prepared for anything. Their first goal is to retrieve a MacGuffin from a mine shaft/cave system. Standard getting to know you roleplaying.

Anyways, they camp after 3 encounters, heal themselves up, and continue. They find themselves in a large cave, and hear soft bleating/growling. The sound turns out to be an emaciated cave dragon wyrmling, barely able to beat its wings but willing to put up a fight. The thing is half-blind, and fires off its breath weapon a step too soon. The creature backs away, they hear scrabble and some stones falling, and the dragon slowly, weakly lifts off. It starts to turn to fly away . . .

The Paladin decides to charge. We gave him 3 promptings. Imagine Sir John, regal in his newly-purchased half-plate and pristine retipped lance. Now imagine Sir John's horse, spooked when the everlasting light cast on a stone on his pommel shows the deep pit ahead.

Now, imagine the sound of pots and pans filled with a couple of BBs falling 150' down a wide shaft.

Now, reroll that paladin ;).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

meomwt

First Post
I've a memorable one from 2e, when I was DM-ing a long-running Greyhawk campaign.

The PC's had ha many encounters with Mighty Eater Of Many Wonderous Things (aka meomwt), a Bronze Dragon from the Abbor-Alz. Unfortunately, a Red Dragon called Sartis was trying to muscle in on his territory. meomwt was losing, badly, and sent the PC's to find one of the few Arrows of Dragon Slaying which existed.

I'd been doing a bit of fore-shadowing and tying in some previous adventures when this all kind of took off, but I'm not sure how many of them noticed.

Anyway, after a long trek North, saving a Dwarven mine in the process and finding said Arrow, the group returned to the Abbor-Alz. meomwt was losing, looking battered and bruised, and Sartis was moving in for the kill.

En route to the final fight, one or two worthy locals came along and blessed their endeavours (and their bow) - so there was a considerable bit of buffing going on there :\

The one Player whose character had a decent missile weapon capability also had a nasty habit of poor rolls - to the extent that people wouldn't sit near him in case their dice were affected. Hmm.

Anyhow, up in the hills, meomwt and Sartis start fighting in mid-air. The Party's Gnome Thief/ Illusionist uses a powerful Illusion to have a third dragon (I forget which type) join in the fray, and Sartis gets distracted by the multiple attacks. As the dragon rolls in for another attack, the Arrow of Dragon Slaying is loosed from the bow.

The room holds its breath as the die is cast.

It comes up 20.

The Arrow hits Sartis right between the eyes. Sartis starts to grow, becoming Adult as everyone watches. Then Great Wyrm. All the time, Sartis is crowing of the power that she feels... until Old Age catches up, she dies of natural causes and hits the deck, scales decaying before everyone's eyes until all that was left was a skeleton.

The first time I had a PC encounter a dragon, the party got lucky--we knew it was a Green Dragon. In prepping for the combat, the following spells were cast on my PC (a fighter in plate mail):

Polymorph (Annis Hag - Str = 25 and +10 natural armor)
Stoneskin
Resist Elements: Acid
Endure Elements: Acid
Shield of Faith
Shield Other
Protection from Evil
Silence
Bull's Strength
Bear's Endurance
Cat's Grace
Mass Fly

It helped a lot.

On the first round, I failed my Fear check. As I ran away, the cleric cast Remove Fear on me. I turned around and went back into combat. We all thought we had wasted all those preps on my character, but the cleric saved the day with his Remove Fear. Whew!

Between the wizard, the archer, and my flying fighter, we were able to take down the beast. A lot of fun--after the tension of the Fear aura debacle in the first round....

Belbarid

First Post
DrunkonDuty said:
Thought I'd start with the most iconic of DnD monsters.

Please, tell your tales.

Glen.

The Game: Shadowrun
The Place: The Kingdom of Hawai'i
The Dragon: Massive western dragon (the iconic D&D-style dragon, if you don't know SR) with "Don't Mess With Me" stamped on his forehead.

I was running this game back in college, and one party member *refused* to accept the notion that he shouldn't carry around an assault cannon. The player was infatuated with the thing, and subtlety wasn't his style, anyway. And was the type who tended to try an excuse gross lapses in judgement with "Well, that's what my character would do". The group runs through the adventure (I don't remember a lot about it anymore), and gets to the end, where there's a dragon who *clearly* wants to deal. He's not overly worried about the group, much less at all scared, but he sees how he can benefit by dealing rather than fighting.

Problem was the guy with the cannon. He can't resist, and he unloads with it. He rolls a bunch of dice, and behind my GM screen, I roll a ton of dice. I make surprised/disapointed faces. There's a lot of "Ohhhhh.... Good grief... Can't believe this..." as I launch into a detailed and vivid description of the size of the massive wound that rips into the dragon's side. The lights go out in its ancient eyes, and the dragon falls limp. The guy does what *everyone* does after taking down a dragon. He went for a tooth. As his hand was in the dragon's mouth, I described the dragon's eyes opening- and the illusion of the wound fading (dice actually said that the cannon did no damage whatsoever).

After a quick snack, the dragon worked out a quick deal with the remaining party members, and life went on. For most of them.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Loonook said:
I was stuck in a friend's campaign; she was the type of DM who didn't so much believe in railroading as she believed in making sure you were all lined up in neat rows and set on tracks ready to go where they pulled.

Okay, that's funny. And somehow sounds like it should be from a bad pulp novel.

Brad

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads