• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Your best suggestion for a spellcaster's feat?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
That's all that makes the Sorcerer special though. Well, that and Font of Magic, which you'd need for the feat anyway.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Only non-horribly overpowered thing I could think off at the moment:

Contracted Minions.

Gives you more more intelligent conjured creatures, but you will only ever summon minions from the same "pool." Meaning every dire spider you summon will be the same dire spider forever. Downside: They will remember you, and mess your plans up if they grow to dislike you. The upside is you can build a rapport with them, train them for your brand of tactics, give them gifts or weapons that they can use on subsequent summons, or use them as a messenger in a pinch.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'd like feats "similar" to magic initiate that let you learn new styles of magic. Not as well as the full class, but a lesser version of the STYLE of the magic, sorta how Martial Adept lets you pick up a little Battle Master.

For example, I have/working on a Runemaster class. Special abilities, archetypes, etc. A "Rune Initiate" feat would let a character who encountered that style of magic in the campaign dabble in it. If they wanted to learn more...they could take the class via multiclassing.

Same thing for Blood Magic, Shamanism, Alchemy, etc.

Li Shenron

Legend
I think Metamagic is basically the main reason for playing a Sorcerer over a Wizard (a second reason being perhaps being attracted to one of its subclasses) and it's not even a very strong selling point. Metamagic feats would kill the Sorcerer class for the rest of the edition, unless they were meant strictly for the Sorcerer i.e. they would require to already have a source of spell points. This would not be a bad idea in fact, considering that Sorcerers get quite few metamagic effects overall.

AFAIK the game still doesn't have any options for creating magic items. Feats could be one way to implement such option, but not the only way (a subclass dedicated to magic item creation is another way, but then it only works for one class). I actually think this was probably considered by WotC, but then put on hold until they decide better how magic item creation should work i.e. if it should have metagame limits on the number of existing items, and what kind of costs should be required.

G

Guest 6801328

My Feat suggestion:

"Warlord: all of your spells are now non-magical, but otherwise unchanged."

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I think Metamagic is basically the main reason for playing a Sorcerer over a Wizard (a second reason being perhaps being attracted to one of its subclasses) and it's not even a very strong selling point. Metamagic feats would kill the Sorcerer class for the rest of the edition, unless they were meant strictly for the Sorcerer i.e. they would require to already have a source of spell points. This would not be a bad idea in fact, considering that Sorcerers get quite few metamagic effects overall.

AFAIK the game still doesn't have any options for creating magic items. Feats could be one way to implement such option, but not the only way (a subclass dedicated to magic item creation is another way, but then it only works for one class). I actually think this was probably considered by WotC, but then put on hold until they decide better how magic item creation should work i.e. if it should have metagame limits on the number of existing items, and what kind of costs should be required.

Maybe we could help with this?

Metamagic: You learn two metamagic options from the sorcerer, and gain one sorcery point you can use with them. The point is regained after a long rest. If you prepare spells, you have to decide what spell is affected by which metamagic during spell preparation -this takes the space of a spell prepared-. In addition all sorcerers on your party add your entire class spell list to their class spell list, cuadruplicate their spells known, have 3 extra spell slots per spell level under 5th level, duplicate their hit points, and gain proficiency with all armor weapons and shields..

Remove ads