• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Your Character's Race

What is the race of your (planned) 5e character(s)

• Human: Standard

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Human: Variant

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • Dwarf: Hill

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Dwarf: Mountain

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • Elf: High

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Elf: Wood

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Elf: Drow

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Halfling: Lightfoot

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Halfling: Stout

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Gnome: Forest

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Gnome: Rock

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Half-Elf

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • Half-Orc

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Warforged (maybe in the DMG)

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Kender (maybe in the DMG)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other/Custom

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • None

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Poll closed .

BigVanVader

First Post
I voted Warforged because they're creepy robots and I appreciate that, I voted Tiefling because I like Hellboy, I voted Half-Orc because I like smashing stuff, and I voted other because I'll be keeping an eye out for Dhampirs, even if they're just in a monster manual in the future.

Dhampir4lyfe!

The_Gneech

Explorer
The "GM PC" in my 5E game is a half-elf barbarian ("the little tiny girl with the great big sword"). My current character in a friend's Pathfinder campaign is a fashionista drow bard (mechanically a re-skinned elf to get around drow mechanical wonkiness); I'm hoping he will convert to 5E eventually.

-TG :cool:

abelmort

First Post
I was surprised at the prevalence of half-elves. Is it just for RP purposes or do they have more of a mechanical advantage than I realized?

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I was surprised at the prevalence of half-elves. Is it just for RP purposes or do they have more of a mechanical advantage than I realized?

Now that you've pointed it out, I wonder if part of its appeal is fluff rather than crunch: the idea of retaining one's vitality and youthful looks for more than twice a human's average lifespan has more appeal to this aging gamer than the 7+ centuries of an elf's life.

Humans are still chosen more often than half-elves or any other single race. Playing a non-human race is kind of like visiting a foreign land or culture; it may be a fascinating place to visit but not necessarily where we would want to live. [My late father, for instance, was willing to travel to any country where English was the primary spoken language, but that's where he drew the line.]

A half-elf is kind of a sweet-spot: just different enough without going too far from home.

The human variant build is also more popular than the standard human build, which seems to be sending a message about what most players' want in creating a human PC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads