• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your electronic RPG tools

EricNoah

Adventurer
I use the following on my computers to help me prep and run games:

eTools from www.codemonkeypublishing.com -- despite its flaws it is crucial to the way I prep and run my games. I use it to create stats for my own PCs, as well as my NPCs and monsters, advanced monsters, and templated monsters. One of its hidden benefits is that I get to see the rules from various sources "folded in" to the core rules. I can look at a master list of feats. I can look at a master list of spells. It helps me integrate new purchases, though the data sets do sometimes take a while to come out from CMP. I have tweaked the stat block and character sheet files so I have them the way I like them. That took me a long time and a lot of trial and error.

Auto-calculating spellsheets and spell generators (look around in the Downloads area of EN World for some of these) -- I have used 3.5 versions of Steve's Excel Spellsheet for a long time, and still rely on them heavily. Likewise with Expanded Psionic Handbook power sheets. However, I have not updated these resources in some time, and thus they become less valuable when I want to use spells from a source not already in the sheet. They are a pain to update, frankly. Lately I have been relying more on SpellGen http://d20spellbook.home.comcast.net/ -- to prep PDFs of spellsheets, particularly if I'm using something from the Spell Compendium. For me, having pre-caluclated spell stats (DCs, damage, ranges, etc.) makes NPC spell prep a breeze, and running NPC spellcasters in combat is a no-brainer when I don't have to do math in my head. :)

http://d20srd.org/ -- I'm sure you all know about this resource. The searchability, the monster filtering, the dice bag, and the dice rolling mechanism built into the monster stats make this a superior reference. This plus wireless laptop = all the rules at my fingertips.

PDFs -- I am a fairly recent PDF convert. Even if you're not into buying them, there's no reason you can't go to www.paizo.com and download their freebies. The maps alone are worth it.

Phineas Crow's maps -- An EN World poster created about 100 maps of different kinds of locations and bundled them together for downloading. I don't have a link handy, but that resource is going to be really helpful when I start running more free-form campaigns.

FR Interactive Atlas -- An oldy but a goody -- I use this thing all the time in FR games to measure distances, make close-up maps, and for scads of cities, towns, buildings and dungeons I can re-use in other games.

Excel & Word -- pretty obvious, but worth mentioning. I've been using Excel, in particular, to keep track of the campaign calendar for my Red Hand of Doom game, and it works pretty slick. I can move scheduled events around easily, track the PCs actions, etc. Word, of course, is for typing up my adventure notes, copying/pasting eTools stats and the calculated spell info, adding illustrations, and creating player handouts. I use the hyperlink tool in Word to make links to PDFs and other documents that don't really integrate right into the page in a Word document.

WotC Website -- www.wizards.com/dnd for lots of downloadable maps and illustrations. An incredible resource, I visit it a few times a month to keep up with what's new.

Personal forums, personal websites, & Yahoo groups -- I don't have one myself, but one of my DMs has a forum for his game and it's handy. Another uses a Yahoo group, which is even handier -- the messages get e-mailed, but they also get archived, and you can post files and links, making it a great campaign storage site. I post my own campaign stuff on my personal website -- including illustrated guides and campaign logs -- for my players to read and use.

A special note about campaign logs -- they are well worth the effort to maintain. They help during the campaign by giving the players something to refresh their memories between games, and then after the campaign they help you remember the great times you had playing. You can bribe your players into helping you do it by giving little XP bonuses, action points/hero points, etc. if necessary.

Share your electronic tricks of the trade!

azhrei_fje

First Post
DM Genie, d20srd.org, and MapTool

I use DM Genie and the d20srd site that you mention, above. (You'll find that I volunteer as a moderator on the DM Genie forums; drop a note there and tell us how you found it. :))

I have imported the Firefox bookmarks from the d20srd.org site, which means that I have a nice cascading view of the main headings and their sub-headings. That works very well.

I also have the offline Sovelior SRD, too, since I can't always be sure of being connected at any given time.

I will start using MapTool to manage what the players see during a game session, probably next weekend. I would like to be able to use it with my projector, but I still don't have a ceiling mount (or other overhead mount) for the projector, so I need to get off my butt and do something about that...

I used to use PCGen (way back in the 2.7.3 days, for example), but it's development seemed to slow to a crawl, or the features that were added were not the ones I needed (like the GM Gen piece, which came out too late for me).

I do miss the ability to have datasets for DM Genie the way they are available for PCGen, but as I run a strictly 3.5E game (with errata), I don't really need them unless I'm acting as a player. In which case I have to enter the extra information myself.

vulcan_idic

Explorer
EricNoah said:
eTools from www.codemonkeypublishing.com -- despite its flaws it is crucial to the way I prep and run my games. I use it to create stats for my own PCs, as well as my NPCs and monsters, advanced monsters, and templated monsters. One of its hidden benefits is that I get to see the rules from various sources "folded in" to the core rules. I can look at a master list of feats. I can look at a master list of spells. It helps me integrate new purchases, though the data sets do sometimes take a while to come out from CMP. I have tweaked the stat block and character sheet files so I have them the way I like them. That took me a long time and a lot of trial and error.

I do use, love, and am quite grateful for eTools and the good folks at CMP for continuously coming up with datasets for all the new things I want to use... That said everytime I open the bad boy up and look at it I feel a twinge of yearning, wishing it was much more reminiscent of the masterwork that were the AD&D Core Rules and AD&D Core Rules Expansion that I remember from years ago. I'll appreciate, use, and pay for upgrades for what I have but I will dream of, and be willing to pay well for, something that comes close to the quality and utility of that program.

Mercule

Adventurer
PCGen for characters. GMGen for combat tracking.

Excel for treasure list, especially any items that may have "secret" properties. Also used for prep-work involving tables -- like the list of deities and domains in my homebrew.

Word for text-based stuff. Almost exclusively prep-work.

Campaign Cartographer 3 for mapping.

talmar

First Post
Well, I pretty much use everything Eric mentioned.

I'm a diehard eTools users with dozens of datasets for all my books.

I'm a subscriber to d20srd.org and have a multiple tabs bookmark in firefox

Excel for init and combat management

I use DavidRM's "The Journal" for campaign organization/notes/logs

I use NPC Designer Gold for in game NPC creation.

I have Critical Hit and Fumble tables in Word

I have hundreds of WotC web articles downloaded to my laptop all organized by type.

I have a complete index of all my WotC books in MS Access.

Wish List: Only 1 thing. A Comprehensive treasure generator that includes all the goods and items from my eTools datasets. Hopefully RPG Foundry will be coming soon and make my wish come true. :)

Muad'dib Pendragon

The Spice must flow... From the Holy Grail
Campaign Management:

The Journal: Nifty program you can load on a thumb drive

Dice Rollers:

SmallRoller: great for probability stuff
Dice Roller: straightforward dice roller in a very small package
Dice Probability Worksheet: Excel
RPG Dice Roller: multi-game dice roller

Mapping:

Campaign Cartographer: 2, 3 and most supplements (Dungeon Designer, City Designer, Fractal Terrains, Castles, Cosmographer Pro)
Dundjinni: Doesn't get much use anymore
Fractal Mapper: Including Fractal World Explorer and Astrosynthesis 2 (good easy program)
Graph Paper Printer: Print any kind of paper (graph, hex); good for old school gaming

Miscellaneous:

Everchanging Book of Names: Random name generator based on various languages (real and imagined)
NPC Designer: Simply awesome
TableSmith: Must have for random generation of all kinds
WeatherMaster: Nifty weather program; a pity its no longer supported
d20 SRD: yeah
Mad Irishman Character Sheets: Great stuff
Dragon Magazine Archive: great reference!
Word, Excel, Access: ubiquitous, used for everything from brainstorming to tracking
PDFs: bought and free
Netbooks: More reference stuff
As well as any free (legal) stuff I can get from references here, RPG.net, Circvs Maximvs, and elsewhere.

Stuff I've tried:

PCGen: was too slow, I'll have to give it another look
DM Genie: great, but very busy
DM's Familiar: good reference, but limiting
Campaign Suite: meh
RPG Explorer: pretty, but not enough there... yet
RPM: more program than I need
RPA: Just looks cheesy
RPG Manager: has promise
Crystalball Lite: straightforward, with they would release Crystalball for Windows
DA: The Roleplayer's Digital Assistant: had promise, appears dead
3EProfiler
eTools: disappointed, expected so much more
HeroForge
D.E.M.I.G.O.D.: 3.0 DM screen
Kami's Weather Generator: Preferred WeatherMaster
TavernMaker
MetaCreator
Microsoft OneNote: Just not comfortable with it
EverNote: decent free note program
JReepad: ditto, but Java based

I also have a ton of Sci-fi/Traveller related stuff

Looking forward to:

RPG Foundry: is it "The One?"
RPG Explorer expansion: it's really nice to look at, I just want more
Fractal Mapper 8: It might interface with CC2/3 symbols!

Last edited:

Edheldur

First Post
I don't use any electronic tools while playing (yep, I don't have a laptop... yet), so I use them mainly for prep work.

PCGen: It's not perfect, it still is somewhat slow, but I've been using it since the day I found about it and it's been a blessing.
Dundjinni: No more vinil mats for me, sir. Being able to export a map into an adventure file it's REALLY handy.
Campaign Cartographer: Just got it, still trying to learn how to use it, and I've already converted my overland world map.
AutoREALM: Used to create my overland world map originally.
Several Excel Spreadsheets: Mostly the ones that came with the Grim Tales PDF products, the one with the stronghold builder's guidebook info, and one I found sometime ago that lists creatures from the MM along with it's terrain, and filters to create encounter lists (which, btw, I've been updating to use some other sources).
And one custom programmed PHP suite that runs on my own PC which handles calendar, climate, demographics, planes and demiplanes... and virtually everything I need.

And for my players:
Yahoogroups and a wiki at schtuff.com. Not that my players actually use them, but still...

Edheldur

First Post
Transit said:
Edheldur
Any chance of you sharing your very useful-sounding MM Terrain/encounter spreadsheet?
Sure thing, just give me a couple of days to revise some of the information in it and to complete some more entries.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads