• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite bands as adventuring parties.

David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar. Both are unarmed combatants (karate vs. boxing IIRC) and both probably have the Drunken Master prestige class.
Sadly, DLR has taken on aging penalties WAY too early...

Ranes

Adventurer
I doubt that a decent DM would allow most rappers into a party. While it's true that they are obsessed with treasure, they tend to abuse the number-of-items-per-slot rule.

Jethro Tull would make a decent adventuring troupe. I can just see Ian Anderson fascinating an orc patrol with 'Thick as a Brick'. "I really don't mind if you sit this one out..."

Yes have serious plane-hopping credentials (Astral Traveller, Close to the Edge, Circus of Heaven), scrying ability (Then, Future Times), advanced knowledge of constructs (Machine Messiah, Awaken) and rituals (er, Ritual).

Jon Anderson (cleric)
Steve Howe (wizard)
Chris Squire (fighter/rogue)
Rick Wakeman (bard with perfom (keyboards) and perform (oratory)). Even if you can't stomach the music, his stories are hilarious. When he rejoined the band recently, Steve Howe allegedly said something along the lines of, "Don't play. Just stick around and tell jokes."
Alan Wright (Barbarian)

Nosfredatu

First Post
Type O Negative's Petrus T. Steele would be -Thermonuclear warrior 2/Fighter 2/Vampire 2/Druid 1/Depressed druid 3- justified by two Carnivore albums/the two first type-o's/Two Bloody kisses versions/October Rust/the other albums...

Thief of Always

First Post
FANTOMAS
Mike Patton (singer)
Chaotic Neutral Bard/Rogue

Buzz Osborne (guitarist)
Chaotic Good Wizard

Trevor Dunn (bassist)
Chaotic Neutral Rogue

Dave Lombardo (drummer)
Chaotic Neutral Barbarian

The Mars Volta would also be an interesting party...I can imagine them using their music to cast spells of gigantic proportions, perhaps creating a wall of sound, or making countless numbers of faceless demons to ambush an unsuspecting person.

reanjr

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Watching VH1 recently discuss Guns n Roses, I was struck by how cool it would be to play an adventuring party based on them. I'd want to be Slash, because he's got that cool "you can't see my face because I've got way too much hair" thing going on.

Not quite the same thing, but in one of my campaigns I had a traveling band of minstrels called the Blind Guardians (Blind Guardian was a common background accompinament for the game).

I could describe it as a song remembered from that band while they were in battle.

The band also seemed to always go to the same inns the players did. Weird...

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
When Led Zeppelin weren't singing about... unmentionables, they were singing about Tolkien!

Robert Plant - Banshee Bard
Jimmie Page - Half-Orc Bard/Barbarian/Sorcerer
John-Paul Jones - Elven Rogue/Wizard
John Bonham - Halfling Barbarian

Some of my musical heroes with classes...

Eric Clapton - Wizard with Divine Rank 1
Jeff Beck - Wizard/Druid (didnt' he have a constipated duck familiar/animal companion?)
Wes Montgomery - Sorcerer/Bard
Charlie Christianson - Bard
Thelonius Monk - Rogue/Monk (Felonius Monk... get it? Oh my, that was awful...)
Miles Davis - Bard/Wizard/Rogue/Fighter
Charles Mingus - Fighter
Diana Krall - Nymph Bard

ironmani

First Post
I see Man O War more as Blackguards. All of them. C'mon with lyrics such as "From the north to south the black of night!"
Man O War is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Khayman said:
The Sisters of Mercy

Andrew Eldritch (tiefling bard/shadow dancer)
Doktor Avalanche (modron duodrone with drums of panic)

:D Awesome.

I had A Slight Case of Overbombing playing as I read this.

Torm said:
Jem and the Holograms:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Heh. I guess I don't feel so bad about picking The Electric Mayhem, then :)

Dr Teeth - Muppet Sorcerer / Rogue / Arcane Trickster
Floyd - Muppet Fighter / Rogue
Janice - Muppet Bard
Zoot - Muppet Ranger
Animal - Muppet Barbarian / Frenzied Berserker

(It could have been worse - I considered taking a shot at Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids... :) )

-Hyp.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Okay...

---Moody Blues---

Justin Hayward: Aristocrat/Bard

John Lodge: Rogue

Ray Thomas: Bard

Mike Pinder: Cleric/Bard

Graeme Edge: Bard/Cleric

---The Monkees---