• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Favorite Dungeon Villains and Locations?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
So then!

For the upcoming final print issue of Dungeon, I'm gonna be compiling a list of the top ten villains who have appeared in the magazine and the top ten adventure sites/locations that have appeared in the magazine, from issue 1 to 150. I've already got a pretty good idea of who and what go onto those lists... but neither is set in stone. Yet. (That happens on Monday or Tuesday, most likely).

So if you have a particular favorite villain or location that's appeared in a Dungeon adventure who you want to see on THE LIST... post your nominees to this thread in the next few days!

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
The really big monster that gnolls were riding in howdahs. Too cool.

Edit: Found it! Dungeon #100, Beast of Burden. (It's a location first, and villain second. Two great tastes that taste great together!)

Last edited:

I can't for the life of me remember the guy's name or the issue number--boy, I'm starting out as a big help, aren't I? ;)--but he was a goblin chief who'd gained control of a figurine of wondrous power that turned into a huge war elephant or mammoth. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

I like Keraptis, as well. (Yes, he's not originally a Dungeon villain, but he appeared in Dungeon, so I'm counting him. :p)

More as I think of them.

Glyfair

Explorer
Victor Saint-Demain, the main villain from "Chimes at Midnight."

He gets my vote for style, and the Batman Rogue's Gallery feel. Not only is he cool, but he has a bunch of colorful cool villains who work for him and keep the players jumping.

Not many D&D adventures can pull off having an interesting villain and just as interesting henchman (and so many of them). Running that one adventure has created adventure seeds for dozens and dozens of adventures in my campaign.

Edit: And he has the advantage of being a villain for lower level characters as well.

Last edited:

Ambrus

Explorer
Oghma's shifting-room library from the Ex-Libris adventure was a great and unique venue.

In the same vein, Nbod's room is worth a mention; an entire deserted island to explore (along with an evil cult safehouse) conveniently located inside the inn room where your PC is staying. Adventure in the comfort of your own room! :D

Kaodi

Hero
I kind of like Laveth, from The Harrowing, though that may have as much to do with how much I liked how her four receptacles of power worked as her herself. She was also from my first 3e Dungeon.

Quartz

Hero
Mouseferatu said:
I can't for the life of me remember the guy's name or the issue number--boy, I'm starting out as a big help, aren't I? ;)--but he was a goblin chief who'd gained control of a figurine of wondrous power that turned into a huge war elephant or mammoth. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Yep. Way cool. Named Konkar or something like that - close enough to the figurine's command word of Conquer.

And I'll second Flame. The floating diamond with the killer exploding kobolds - they all had gems from necklaces of fireballs - was a riot.

Snotlord

First Post
Janios from the "The Seventh Arm". I like villains you can talk to.

Favorite locations (aside from Waterdeep and Isle of Dread, which probably does not count) are probably Istvin, the frost giant fortress in "Headless" and the Rift in "Kings of the Rift.

Remove ads