• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite PC! I need inspiration...

Iuz

First Post
I usually DM, so I haven't had a lot of characters, but one that always stands out in my mind is an illusionist I once played . . .

I came up with the idea that an illussionist ought to be trying to trick people all the time, not just when he casts spells, so he went under a guise - as a fighter.

The catch here is that no one was in on this except me and the DM - everyone else thought I was playing a fighter. I was able to keep the other players in the dark through two basic methods
1. My character was constantly boasting about what a good fighter he was ( "I am the greatest swordman in the world" )
2. In combat I would come up with obscenely impossible maneuvers that DM would assign ridiculous penalties to performing (so nobody would be surprised when I didn't hit)

The real irony is that I got so cuaght up in the persona and the deception that I often would go several sessions without casting a single spell. And the other players got so swept up in my boasting and crazy maneuvers that I actually had this conversation about two years after the game ended.

Me: "I was just wondering, did you ever figure out (my character's) secret?"

Other Player: "He was an agent of (the main enemy) wasn't he? (The DM) let you have a super character in return for @%$% with us."

Me: "Uh no. His secret was that he was a totally weenie that couldn't do anything"

Other Player: :eek:

Stormborn

Explorer
Stegger said:
thanks for all the reply so far!

To stormborn: I am probably allowed to just about anything, I just have to take the consequences in-game.... of course.
a Rouge/Paladin Goblin does sound like a possibility :)
Stegger

Cool. In that case you might want to pick a god that would not mind a little stealthy sneak attack style fighting. I think St. Cuthbert would allow it, anything to smite the evil doers. hmmm.... a stealthy Paladin. That could be very interesting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads