• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Your favorite PC of all-time...

i_dont_meta

Explorer
I've played (what I consider to be) some really epic PC's in my 25+ yrs of D&D and yet I still have one that stands heads and shoulders above the rest. I know there's been similar threads akin to this one, but I'd like to start a "happy thread" where nobody has ANY good reason to shat in somebody else's mashed potatoes. Let's hear it then: who's your All-Time Favorite PC (and "why", please!)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgoodbb

Adventurer
My first PC was given to me as a joke. I wanted so desperately to play with my older brother and cousins that eventually they let me.

It was 1st edition, a very long time ago, and they made me play a human fighter called Berenice. They sniggered as they thought it sounded like a girls name. They thought it would put me off. I loved Berenice because I was playing D&D for the first time and my eyes were being opened to the infinite possibilities of play.

After a while, the sniggering stopped as I was trying things that the more experienced players wouldn't do. The DM loved this and eventually Berenice Rinehart became an epic fighter (WHo was totally overshadowed eventually by the Wizard of course) Still, my favourite character

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If it has to be from DnD...

Willem Thygair. Half-Elf son of a Traveler mother and Eladrin father, itinerate story teller, swashbuckler, libertine, troubadour, erstwhile Assassin, sometimes lover of the arch Fey known as The Maiden of The Indigo Star, revolutionary, pirate, and Doom of Dragons.
He is a 4e Half-Elf Cunning Bard with Rogue and Assassin MCs, but unlike most Cunning Bards, he was a swordsman rather than focusing on ranged impliment spells. Obviously, he used a rapier, and main gauche, or just a rapier, at different times.

Duelist's Panache meant he was an excellent acrobat and a solid athelete, as well, but music and stories are his true strength. At first he was a very shallow character, just concerned with art, vices, and adventure. Then his half brother brought him into The Black Company adventuring company, had a few adventures in Waterdeep, sailed an airship to Returned Abeir, pissed off a dragon, almost got killed by an ogre pirate, sailed back to Waterdeep, and he left the Sword coast guarding a merchant train to East Rift with his closest friends; a Dragonborn scholar and tactician (high int warlord), a incongruously chipper Drow thief, and a Dwarven maul wielding warrior.

In East Rift he and his companions fought duergar on a chain of Earthmotes and bargained for ownership of them, met a Human Paladin of Moradin raised by Dwarves, killed his first dragon by teleporting onto it's back, paralyzingly it, and riding it down to smash upon the chasm floor, and got wise to a conspiracy that lead them on a trail north and then west, to the Inner Sea.

There, the followed the trail, eventually coming to the aid of some Druids. The Druids lead them to the white dragon who'd been manipulating events, leading to Willem's second dragon fight, although his dragonborn friend got that kill.

At that point, Willem disappears for a few years, and the company meets the Halfling Finnan Mac Morwaleth, a warlock and thief in service to an arch Fey, but beholden also to a God of shadows and assassins, and unknowingly Chosen of the dead god, Mask, and his lover and friend, (my wife's character) Nemain [12 middle names here] Trickfoot, Artificer and thief. Finnan and Nemain are part of a resistance group in Sembia against Netheril, and are accompanied by a hulking construct automaton (warforged companion character for when the party was only 3 PCs) of Nemain's design.

Finnan, Nemain, and Torkhan (the dragonborn warlord) go on all manner of adventures. At one point Finnan dies, and is brought back by the Shadowy god who had interfered in his life before, as a revenent hexblade with a cursed chain (gloom hexblade).

Eventually, Willem's half brother, the human ranger, comes to the party asking for help finding Willem. Through investigation and research, they find out Willem travelled somehow to the world of Abeir, and is trapped there. Complicated stuff happens, Nemain's arm transforms into living metal inscribed with arcane formulas, and can now see magic in a manner similar to a Iron Man's holographic displays, Torkhan gained wings, and Finnan regained his mortal life, but lost his magic.
Oh, and the warforged became sentient.

So they end up on Abeir, and find Willem, leading a revolution, and having gained the nickname "The Doom of Dragons".

Definitely my wildest campaign in terms of characters, and my two favorite PCs, and my two favorite PCs in DnD that someone else played (Torkhan and Nemain).

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
My favorite character is a toss up between one that I played the longest (and incorporate as a helpful-but-not-able-to-solve-all-your-problems NPC from time-to-time in campaigns I DM), and one that I only got to play for a handful of sessions.

The former is a wizard named Ramathus, who is always accompanied by a cat named Archimedes. The personality of the pair of them was heavily influenced by The Sword in the Stone, with Ramathus being old, irritable, absentminded to humorous degree, but genuinely well-meaning, and the cat being a silent (except in the wizard's mind) source of judgement and corrections. He's in competition for being my favorite because that animated film is one of my earliest exposures to fantasy, so it resonates very deeply with me.

The latter is a fighter named Garret, but who he is and what he's like is tertiary (at best) to why he's in competition for being my favorite. When playing the character, the other players that were at the table (excluding one, who was intentionally being a jerk) and I had this magical instant matching up of thought processes so that from the very first moment of session one, it was like we'd been playing the characters together for months or years. The absolute best party rapport I've ever experienced, and it was in a campaign where none of the characters new anything about each other before play started.

Last edited:

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Jeroid Smith, blacksmith of a small village. He never went looking for trouble, but trouble often found him. He was not an adventurer, he just wanted a quiet life and to keep the villagers safe. He was fun.

Raith5

Adventurer
In days of 1e I played a pregenerated half elf ranger called Beek Gwenders of croodle from the G 1-3/Against the Giant series. We played all through G1-3, D1-3 and Q1 (and then just kept killing demon lords in the Abyss). The campaign was pretty monty haul with magic items by the dozens, and we led slave uprising in the Vault of the Drow and drove out the drow and decided to build a tower in the Vault (for some reason).

Things you do when you are 12 years old, I dont think I would get any of this past a DM now. I have played better PCs over the years but I really liked Beek.

Paul Smart

Explorer
Smiling Sam AKA The Smiling Assassian AKA The Happy Assassian AKA The Laughing Assassian. 2nd edition Halfing Fighter / Thief. Started off LG, ended up CN. Loved his poisons, hated Kobolts, peaceful except when any lizards were around. Loved his job and was always smiling and laughing. I have rebuilt him for every edition of D and D and many other RPG's including Shadowrun, Mage, Vampire, Werewolf and various LARPs. He was the first character I had that survived long enough to level up and remains my favorite to this day.

Barolo

First Post
(...)

They sniggered as they thought it sounded like a girls name. They thought it would put me off. I loved Berenice because I was playing D&D for the first time and my eyes were being opened to the infinite possibilities of play.

(...)

Berenice actually is a female name, at least in two languages.

Remove ads