• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite PC? ... Priceless

Driddle

First Post
Let's say a stranger sits in on one of your average gaming sessions with your regular group. He's from out of town, though, and he left his character sheets at home. He offers to pay you cold cash ($!$!$) if you'll let him borrow your favorite PC for the night. The DM says it's OK, but everything that happens is still considered part of your character's continuity -- if he dies, he dies; if he loses a limb, it stays lost.

What's it worth to rent your favorite PC?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, he's already paid me cash to sit in on the game, right? That's what Bugaboo always instructed.

I'd hand him an NPC and tell him to buy pizza for everyone.

Ghostwind

First Post
That's when you hand him a character and inform him that you'll be playing your backup character, Tony Soprano, and that he better play his character cautiously or Tony or will get very upset. ;)

NeutralGood

First Post
It would depend on how much it was. If its enough for a pizza and movie, no thanks, if its half a paycheck by all means have him charge an adult red dragon at 3rd level.

IronWolf

blank
I don't see myself allowing a stranger to play a favorite character of mine. A backup character maybe, but favorite? Of course I guess it depends on how much money the person is offering.... ;)

Crothian

First Post
it would be odd since my favorite character is from a high tech game, and we are playing fantasy....but if the DM said yes, I'm just not doing the conversions. :p

Driddle

First Post
So far, no one has put a price tag on the rental. Interesting.

I'll take my own bait and say I'd let it happen for, say, $20. Maybe $25 if the guy looked dangerous.

dinsdale

Stalked by a giant hedgehog
Given that I have no assurance this stranger will play the character in good faith, there is no way I would let him actually play my favorite character, or really any character that I cared about.

Instead, I would use my ranks in bluff to convince the stranger that this other character over here is my favorite and offer to cut in the party/DM on the cash if necessary to get them to go along. (Not sure if this was what Piratecat meant by handing him an NPC).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads