• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite pickup game?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'll have to admit, my bunch isn't much for traditional board games. Some board games are designed so that they encourage interaction between the players, and the action of playing them is the fun bit, and the "game" part of it is largely an excuse - such games would work well.

So: Encore, Apples to Apples, Once Upon a Time, are all good games for my group. Risk and Settlers of Catan, not so much.

For pick-up roleplaying, I suspect the Superhero genre in general is a god bet - the basic unit of story is like an issue of a comic book, and you dont' need to prep up much for that. And most supers systems are simple enough in rules that players can have fun without having to dig too deeply into them.

Paranoia, of course, is a classic one-shot pickup game.

I would try something like the Mag*Blast card game, it's easy to learn and a lot of fun to play. Best of all it requires the players to make sound effects or the cards don't count.

Argyle King

Legend
Zombie Dice and Cthulu Dice are both fun ways to spend your time when the plans for the evening change unexpectedly. Both games are quick and extremely easy to learn. I'd say either of those is a good place to start.

How long do your sessions normally run? What system do you play?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How long do your sessions normally run? What system do you play?

We're normally running on weekday evenings, after work - so maximum 5 hours, part of which is consumed as we consume something supper-like.

Our current game is classic Deadlands, but the players are not averse to other systems.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads