Your favorite Star Wars villain who dies in the same episode he's introduced

Who is your favorite short-lived Star Wars villain?

glass

(he, him)
demiurge1138 said:
Yeah, Dooku is a great name... if you don't speak English.

Well, if you don't speak American. :heh:

I think I know what dookie means (it's er, droppings, right :D), but only because of the Green Day album. It certainly isn't the first thing I thought of when I heard Dooku's name.

My disapointment with Dooku was that I heard he was to have a curved light-sabre, and he didn't. Not Lucas's fault, of course.

glass.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
Kai Lord said:
Why? Does Tarkin's appearance in ROTS suddenly change the fact that he still died in the Episode in which he was first introduced?

Well, if you watch all the films in order I-VI, you'll see him in III before IV, so you could argue he's introduced there.

(Apparently. I actually missed his appearance in III. Guess I'll have to see it again).

glass.

glass

(he, him)
Lord Pendragon said:
This seemed even more impressive to me after watching the entire trilogy. In the first movie, it merely seems like Tarkin is ordering around a subordinate. But after seeing all three movies several things become clear. Namely the fact that Vader could have physically crushed Tarkin like a bug, and that Vader had more clout with the Emperor than just about anyone.

Interesting question. How much did Tarkin know about Vader's relationship with the Emporer? It seemed to be quite strongly implied in the original trilogy that noone (except Vader) new the Emporer was a Sith lord.

Judging by RotS, Yoda and Obi-Wan knew as well, but they were hardly in any position to shoult it from the roof tops, and the emporer and vader between them silenced the other possible witnesses.

glass.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
demiurge1138 said:
Tarkin is great, yes, but he can't use four lightsabers simultaneously.
Orius said:
Bah, who needs multiple lightsabers when you can destroy entire planets?
Joshua Dyal said:
"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

But Grevous couldn't actually use the force, could he? He may have used four lightsabres, but all he could do with them twirl them around real fast. I know he said that Dooku had trained him in 'your Jedi Arts', but I don't think he would necesarily have understood that there was more to being a jedi than being good with a lightsabre.

glass.

glass said:
Judging by RotS, Yoda and Obi-Wan knew as well, but they were hardly in any position to shoult it from the roof tops, and the emporer and vader between them silenced the other possible witnesses.

You know, you think ol' Obi-wan and Yoda might have given poor Luke a heads-up on that, especially the whole Force lightning thing.

Henry

Autoexreginated
WHAAAATTTT!!!!!?!?!?

No love for Admiral Ozzel? :lol:

--------------------------------------

My favorite was probably a Toss-up between Tarkin and Maul; Maul because he held such promise (he was played by Ray Park, for God's Sake!!!!) but Tarkin because there was so much gravitas in his performance, as an earlier poster said. Peter Cushing could convey power just in every movement and line, and did it well. Where Ray Park as Darth Maul conveyed catlike reflexes, deadly precision, and skill, he was a mad-dog killer type, silent, deadly, with no real meat to the role.

Grand Moff Tarkin was Hannibal Lecter.
Darth Maul was Hannibal Lecter's Knife.

glass

(he, him)
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
You know, you think ol' Obi-wan and Yoda might have given poor Luke a heads-up on that, especially the whole Force lightning thing.

Good point.

Maybe they figured he wasn't ready. After all, they didn't tell him Vader was his father until Vader did. Also, the last thing they wanted was for him to run off and get himself apprenticed to a Sith lord!

Damnit, this thread it making me want to watch the whole lot again, just to see who says what to whom about what... :D

glass.

glass said:
Interesting question. How much did Tarkin know about Vader's relationship with the Emporer? It seemed to be quite strongly implied in the original trilogy that noone (except Vader) new the Emporer was a Sith lord.

Given how both high Imperial brass (General Tagge) and low Fringe scum (Han Solo) disbelieved in the Force, and how only the Rebels who carried the torch from the old Republic seemed to believe in the Jedi, it seems pretty clear that the Emperor wanted to quash all belief in the Force. The Jedi were to be thought of as crazy old wizards, crackpot mystics, fanatical terrorists who tried to assassinate the beloved leader. The Sith were just some odd term for something to do with the Jedi, somehow, that apparently the Emperor didn't object to, maybe they were the Jedi who sided with him, but only Vader survived (average galactic citizen's opinion).

It seemed pretty clear that to all but probably the surviving Jedi (Palpatine's true nature was probably announced on that Beacon that Obi-Wan set on Coruscant) and other outcasts and enemies of the state, the Emperor was just a beloved and powerful leader who protected the Republic through his bold leadership in the Clone Wars, survived assassination attempts by the fanatical Jedi, and rebuilt the smoking ashes of the galaxy into a New Order without the impediments of earlier ages, or "throwbacks" like Jedi.

Vader being an open Force user and not hiding his beliefs was seen as quaint ("don't frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader), and tolerated because he apparently was the Emperor's Right Hand Man (after all, he saved the Emperor from the Jedi assassination attempt, making him the only Jedi who was "loyal"). Of course, the highest levels of Imperial command learned to fear him (or else), and probably the grunts were superstitious and there were all kinds of rumors about what he could do (probably mostly true), but to most of the Empire he was just an interesting throwback to an earlier age, kept around because of his absolute loyalty to the Emperor.

Remove ads