• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite unusual spells

satasha

Explorer
I posted this on dragonsfoot too so if you saw it there, sorry.
I am getting a little tired of the usual (1e) spells: magic missile, lightning bolt, fireball etc. I know, sacrilege! Well anyway, I was wondering what your favorite unusual spells are. Hopefully they will not be too specialized or instantly deadly and can be used in combat. Homemade spells are good too.
I realize that there are whole books of spells and I plan to go through them but hopefully I can get some neat suggestions here too.

Asmo

First Post
Hello and welcome to the boards!

I like Grease, wich is very fun to use and quite useful in combat when used with some planning.

Asmo

Felon

First Post
Heh. You forgot scorching ray. It's probably more ubiquitous than magic missile or fireball these days.

For my evoker, here are my staple spells:

Channeled Pyroburst (PHB II)--4th-level spell that has a variable casting time. Cast as a swift action, it does 1d4/level to a single target. Cast as a full-round action, it does 1d8/level to a 15 foot radius. Can be cast as a standard action, but doing so is kind of a waste as you might as well cast a fireball at that point.

Combust (Spell Comp)--2nd-level. Reach out and touch someone, and they take 1d8/level fire damage and have to make a Reflex save to avoid catching fire. Empower this bad boy.

Electric Loop (Spell Comp)--2nd-level spell that chains between adjacent targets. They not only take 1d6/2 levels, but if they fail the Reflex save for half damage, they then have to make a Will save to avoid being stunned for a round.

Electric Vengeance (PHBII)--2nd-level. Someone reaches out and touches you? Make'em pay the price with no-save electricity damage.

Energy Spheres (Spell Comp)--4th-level spell that creates five spheres, one for each energy type (fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic). They can be directed to attack one or more targets at close range, or they can be used defensively to absorb some energy damage directed at the caster. The spheres can't be directed in the round they're created, but they hang around for 1 round/level. A single casting can carry you through an entire fight. It has the downside of doing fixed damage, rather than rolling dice, so you can't empower or maximize it. It has the advantage of having all five energy descriptors, so it's got a wonderful reciprocal relationship with reserve feats.

Fire Shield, Mass (Spell Comp)--When the party gets sick of you stealing their glory with blasting, cast this super-sweet buff. Sadly, as a 5th-level spell, that's one less firebrand you can cast.

Firebrand (Spell Comp)--A 5th-level cornerstone of the blaster's arsenal. Forget that crummy cone of cold, this sucker will restore the respect that evokers have lost over the years. Blow up everyone in sight that you don't care for. And I do mean everyone. The definitive blasting spell.

Manyjaws (Spell Comp)--3rd-level spell summons one jaw made of force per caster level. The jaws hang around and attack whomever you send them after. Similar to energy spheres, you can split them up and send them against different targets as a standard action. Each does 1d6/level. and they hang around 3 rounds. Requires concentration. If you empower it, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Wingbind (Spell Comp)--4th-level spell that entangles a creature and prevents flight (which sucks for the target if it's already flying). Made of force, so it can't be burst. I'll take it over resilient sphere.

Last edited:

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I forget the name. Maybe 'Vile Revenge' or something. It is in the Book of Vile Darkness. It is the spell that rips off the victim's hand and the hand begins to choke the victim! That is hardcore!

Voadam

Legend
satasha said:
I posted this on dragonsfoot too so if you saw it there, sorry.
I am getting a little tired of the usual (1e) spells: magic missile, lightning bolt, fireball etc. I know, sacrilege! Well anyway, I was wondering what your favorite unusual spells are. Hopefully they will not be too specialized or instantly deadly and can be used in combat. Homemade spells are good too.
I realize that there are whole books of spells and I plan to go through them but hopefully I can get some neat suggestions here too.

I liked the 1e homebrew versions bolt spells, cold bolt, fire bolt, lightning bolt, acid bolt, base bolt (extra damage to acid creatures), which were basically magic missile with elemental components instead of the bolts of force.

2nd level was a bolt that did 1d6/level to one target.

3rd level was 1d6/level to an area similar to fireball.

I seem to remember chromatic orb from UA has neat effects, though the highest caster level could get a death effect with something still happening on a save, for a first level spell.

Felon

First Post
Here are some nice general bacon-saver spells:

Assay Resistance (Spell Comp)--A 4th-level spell that makes evokers viable in 3e, where Spell Resistance is designed to turn blasting into a 50/50 proposition against an equal CR creature. Pick a target and gain a +10 on caster level checks to overcome spell resistance against it. Swift action to cast, lasts 1 round/level.

Benign/Baleful Transposition (Spell Comp)--Take two creatures and swap their locations. Tons of creative, effective uses. There's a 1st-level version for willing targets, and a 2nd-level one for unwilling ones.

Heart of Earth (Complete Mage)--4th-level spell that gives two temporary HP per level, and lasts an hour per level. If hard-pressed, you can cash it in as a swift action to get a temporary stoneskin effect for 1 round/level. No diamond dust required!

Heart of Fire (Complete Mage)--5th-level spell that gives you a 10 foot boost to movement and fire resistance 20. Cash it iin as a swift action to get a fire shield effect.

Swift Fly (Spell Comp)--2nd-level spell that lets you get outta Dodge. The swift action means you aren't denied offense when you're put on the defensive.

True Casting (Complete Mage)--When assay resistance's 4th-level spell slot is too high a price to pay, pack a few scrolls of this 1st-level gem to get a +10 bonus on caster level checks to beat SR.

Zurai

First Post
Spiritjaws (Druid 3, Spell Compendium) is awesome for locking down casters. For rds/lvl, it iteratively Improved Grabs a target opponent at medium range. They do decent damage, too, and they're a force effect so they can even grapple those pesky incorporeal casters!

Extract Water Elemental (Druid 6, Sorc/Wiz 6, Spell Compendium) does just what it sounds like - pulls all the water out of the target creature and, if that kills the critter, makes a water elemental out of it under your command. Totally awesome. Not terribly powerful, but totally awesome.

Vortex of Teeth (Druid 4, Sorc/Wiz 4) has one of the best illustrations ever, and it's not a terrible spell either. It makes a 40' radius 20' high cylinder of magical force piranhas that eat everything for 3d8 damage/round @ rds/lvl. The best part? Entangle also just happens to have a 40' radius....

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Zurai said:
Vortex of Teeth (Druid 4, Sorc/Wiz 4) has one of the best illustrations ever, and it's not a terrible spell either. It makes a 40' radius 20' high cylinder of magical force piranhas that eat everything for 3d8 damage/round @ rds/lvl. The best part? Entangle also just happens to have a 40' radius....

Our STAP party has 2 wizards, mine and my buds, and we are planning on combining Vortex of Teeth with a widened Evard's Black Tentacles in the next session. Should be loads of fun... :]

Remove ads