• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favourite level to PLAY at?

The level you enjoy most?

Votes: 6 1.9%

Votes: 13 4.2%

Votes: 4 1.3%

Votes: 11 3.5%

Votes: 14 4.5%

Votes: 36 11.5%

Votes: 35 11.2%

Votes: 36 11.5%

Votes: 29 9.3%

Votes: 17 5.4%

Votes: 28 8.9%

Votes: 23 7.3%

Votes: 7 2.2%

Votes: 15 4.8%

Votes: 3 1.0%

Votes: 4 1.3%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Epic (over 20)

Votes: 17 5.4%
  • none/other/something else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

drothgery

First Post
I picked 11th, but that's just because that's the highest I've got experience with a lot of different 3e/3.5e characters. I don't think I've ever hit the point where my spells/powers/feats/equipment stopped being fun and started being confusing. And usually, the DM resets the games I've played in somewhere in the 10-15 range.

But really, as long as low levels (1-4) are skipped or burned through quickly, I'm happy.

Psion

Adventurer
Conaill said:
Interesting...

0-10th level: 98 votes
>10th level: 40 votes

Glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers low-level games.

Obviously not using Dungeon mag's (or my) definition of low level, considering only 15% prefer levels below 5th. :cool:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I prefer to start at 3rd and I find 5-9 about the most optimal levels for fun gaming. Beyond 10th combats begin to drag down rather horribly because there are too many options on BOTH sides.

---fje

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
To play - About 5th-9th. After that things tend to be stupidly easy or stupidly, obnoxiously hard. (I cast Glibness and roll a 3. I end up with fourty-odd something. Doesn't do it? Are you kidding?) Things such as magic weapons and items tend to be more important than characters due to silly DR rules (Though that has lessened a bit. I like them hunting out copper knives or what not.)

To DM - probably 4th-12th. I tend to ignore Raise Dead, taking it from the cleric list but that has it's own complications. (PC's are practically expected to die.)

Players always start at 1st though. I just like DMing vs vaguely higher levels simply because opponents can be more interesting.

zeo_evil

First Post
As a player I love 12th to 18th the most. As a DM I love the higher levels so I can throw the heavy stuff against the wall an see what sticks.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I like medium to high levels... you're still mortal (ie thread of death still there), but you still have a variety of options.

Li Shenron

Legend
6th

I was kind of undecided between 6th and 8th... If I have to pick one it'd be 6th.

Enough levels for interesting multiclassing, or even one level in a prestige class.
Enough hit points not to fear death from the first weapon attack.
Enough feats (3-4) to build some nice synergy or for a combat tactic combo.
Enough skill ranks (9) so that Take 10 actually covers most routine challenges.
Enough daily spells to handle more than just one fight :p
Several tactic options opened up by spells (invisibility for example).
No save or die spells yet.
No polymorph spells yet.
Not too many magic items per character, and not too powerful yet.
Characters have a history enough to be given important missions, but not yet over-the-top.

Of course lots of nice spells are still missing from the game, and another disadvantage is that metamagic is still very limited at this level. But overall I think 6th level is a very "safe" level for the DM to run adventures (not difficult issues to deal with), and good enough for players to have a character who is well-developed into something unique.

MonsterMash

First Post
I'd rather have been able to select a number of levels as the play isn't greatly different between say 4th and 6th. Chose 5th as its a level where spellcasters start to get some interesting stuff, but are not able to dominate the game the way they can at high (12+) levels.

Remove ads