D&D 5E your fist level wizard has used their 2 spells. Now What?

ive used 2 spells shield and magic missile in my first combat. i have a cantrip that is somewhat useful but what does your low level wizard do when they dont have anything but cantrips left. What weapons do you take/equipment etc. What else do you do to help the party especially if theres back to back combat

BookTenTiger

He / Him
One thing I like about 5e is that you aren't actually that bad at things you don't specialize in. If your wizard had good Dexterity, start throwing out those ranged attacks. If you're feeling brave, hop in and use the Help action! Throw down some caltrops or ball bearings to control the battlefield. Ready a healing potion to help the front line fighters. If you are proficient in Athletics, try knocking down some foes!

There are a lot of fun, creative things a wizard can do outside of spellcasting!

Cantrip is truly most common.

Also, can trip (i.e. use movement and the Help action to go behind an enemy and get down on all fours so the fighter can then shove the enemy who then easily falls back prone.)

My current goliath abjuration wizard started with 16 strength so he could mix it up in melee combat with his quarterstaff using two hands.

The classic approach is stock up on oil flasks. Light them up and throw flaming oil at enemies.

Also (at least from classic D&D) wizards didn’t need to spend gold on armor, so they usually had gold to spare for holy water against undead as well.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
If you have lots of combat make sure to take a useful combat (usually ranged) cantrip like firebolt.

The damage isn't quite on par with top damage dealers, but it's not far behind either. More than balances out, since your big spells have lots of oomph.

Barring that, just using a crossbow works ok (at low levels), but because your Int is likely higher than your Dex your probably hitting less, so the cantrip might actually be better.

Help action is likely not the best option, you're too squishy to be in the thick of combat!

I agree, that (at low levels), assuming your group has decent combat coordination, oil flasks, etc. work ok too.

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
Back in my day, a first level magic user got ONE spell, and it was fixed, none of this spell-slot-free-choice nonsense!

And there were no unlimited-use cantrips that did damage, when our magic was done we had daggers, consarnit! This was before magic-users could use staffs even. Yes, I said Magic User! Not Wizard! 'Wizard' was a title you earned! You kids these days twinkle your noses, cause some sparks and suddenly you're wizards! Piffle!

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Remove ads