• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Gas Price

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
mojo1701 said:
Was that sarcasm, BG?

Well, I think it's pretty clear I'm full of something at any rate. "Good financial advice" is probably further down on the list than I care to think about, while "horse manure" is higher up.

Small wonder my wife puts all our tax documents behind an electified fence.

Crothian

First Post
2.99 and across the street from that it was 3.09...what I can't figure out is why the 3.09 place had the line and the 2.99 place was only half full......

Storminator

First Post
Hijinks said:
I thought people who drove SUVs and minivans were doing so because they could a.) block the view of everyone in a smaller car, b.) take up 2-3 parking spaces at public places, and c.) block traffic because they nose the dang things out into the middle of intersections so that they can turn comfortably. :)

I despise minivans because they're so hard to see around. SUVs are a bit better. But I haven't met too many people who drive a *really* big SUV like a Chevy Tahoe or Suburban who can always park it in the space correctly. There's a woman at work who drives a Tahoe and she can *never* park it fully in the space, it is *always* over the line. I've spit on that thing more than once because I had to park half a mile further away because she was blocking the only other open spot.

Last time I filled up was in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at $1.44/gallon. Ethanol > all. But that was more than 2 weeks ago. I've still got 3/4 tank left. <3 Honda Civics!

My commute car is a geo metro. It's not as long as a Tahoe is wide. So when those SUVs go over the line and take 2 parking spaces I say "thanks for saving me a spot!" and park in the half a space left behind... :cool:

PS

P.S.

mythusmage, I already had your blog bookmarked! And now I'm on it...

daBooj

First Post
I'm very happy to have one of the few diesel cars allowed right now in america. Have a tdi jetta. The thing is awesome. We don't get the best fuel economy out of our diesels like those in europe, but... it's soooooo much better than the gassers as far as fuel economy goes. My last two tanks were at 57mpg and over 850 miles each. I could have gone another 100 or 150 miles on each tank, but usually fill when the light comes on.

That said... I still don't want to think about the price waiting for me at the pump tonight.

DonTadow! look at this site (www.tdiclub.com) before you get your hybrid for christmas. Yeah, we're fanatics over there, but we have great little cars that out preform hybrids hands down. Have a look at them before you buy!

Gulla

Adventurer
Zappo said:
Europe is way smaller. :)
At least the southern (and more civilized) part.

I live approximately in the middle of Norway (at least geographically, I have more than 75% of our small population south of me) and 12 hours will take me to the south tip. It is 16-20 hours driving to the North Cape and I guess 8-10 hours from there to the Russian border.

Driving from the south to the north is about 3000 km and I think the drive all the way to the Russian border is 3500 km.

Concidering that North of Trondheim there lives less than 400.000 people, no town is bigger than 25.000 and it it 2000 km, we have quite a lot of nothing here as well.

On the other hand there is hardly anywhere north of Trondheim where Norway is more than a few hundred kilometres wide so you have to go North-South to experience the nothing, and people not uset to ragged and wild nature might feel that our nothing is quite scenic :)

Håkon

nerfherder

Explorer
Pielorinho said:
Gas prices are way higher in Europe, but as I understand it, y'all can generally finagle things so that you're taking a train or a bus to get where you need to go.
You've never travelled on British railways before...

Despite the fact that I live 5 minutes walk from a station on the East Coast mainline, and work is the same distance from another train station, it would still take me twice as long to get to work, assuming it ran reliably, which it doesn't - and was the final straw that turned me back to driving after 3 years of getting the train.

Cheers,
Liam

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
nerfherder said:
You've never travelled on British railways before...
Oh, I have--I'm guessing YOU'Ve never travelled on American railways before :). You describe a system that is chronically late and slow. I'm describing a system that is nonexistent.

Well, not nonexistent in the US, but nonexistent in my region. There's no passenger rail service within 100 miles of me, I believe, and probably none within 150 miles of me. The only buses that run between me and my destination don't run at the hours I'd need them to run at--I'd need to stay at school overnight if I wanted to take the Greyhound--and the rates would probably far exceed the cost of gasoline even at these times.

If I had to get to the station at 6 in order to make a class at eight (given that I could drive the same distance in an hour), I'd gladly do so: I could use that time to do homework, nap, or read.

As it is, gas prices here are projected to go up up to $4/gallon, assuming we don't run out of gas entirely--there have been runs on local pumps, along with rumors that gas won't be delivered to our region until sometime next week. I use about three gallons a day, three days a week; that'll represent my paying about $144 a month just for my school commute, not counting my (much shorter) work commute and running errands. That means that my gasoline bills, by themselves, will probably exceed 10% of my and my wife's monthly post-tax income :(.

Daniel

Remove ads