• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Gas Price

daBooj

First Post
Yesterday my wife started thinking of letting me do what I want...

buy an old mercedes turbo diesel for 1500 bucks.
intall a greasel two tank kit for 800 bucks or so
convince a local resteraunt to let me have it's used frier oil
give my 55mpg avg car to my wife to drive
drive the mb with no gas/diesel charge
keep wife's saturn as a backup.

expenditures: something like $3000 all told
savings: only one fuel bill (and I drive 100 miles a day)
at 700miles per week *1gal/55miles *$3.00/gal = $38/week savings *52wk/yr = $1985/yr

save that you have to figure in the fact that I'm taking her car off the road and replacing it with a more cost effective machine, so savings is higher.

but she's not ready for the initial investment yet

Belen

Adventurer
It was $2.61 yesterday morning and it just hit $3.29 around noon today. I just heard that it was $5 in Atlanta!

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
drothgery said:
Except when there are disaster-related price spikes in other parts of the country, San Diego is among the most expensive in the US (and it's the most expensive place without a good excuse for it, like being on an island or something).

I was listening to the Dave, Shelly, and Chainsaw show this morning (KGB 101.5) when I heard Dave Rickards speak of one city in the south with gas prices of about $3.50 a gallon. He said that if prices were $3.50 outside San Diego he expected prices in San Diego to be about $4.00 a gallon. So he pulls into a station on his way to work, and pays $3.10 a gallon. Nice to be behind the curve for once. BTW, the show repeats at 10:00pm EDT, and can be heard at the website.

Now, it is true San Diego is not an island, but there are other ways of restricting access. The pipeline into San Diego hasn't been upgraded in years, nor the storage farm (singular). Why? Well, that gets into politics, so we shant discuss it. I can say that tribalism and nimbyism play a big part in it.

As to the prices outside San Diego, they're panic prices. People are panicking, so other people are taking advantage of that. Expect criminal prosecutions over the next year because of this. What with supply interruptions in the South there will be shortages, but as things get straightened out they won't be as bad as some have feared.

And the West (including San Diego)? Our oil and oil products come through Los Angeles, we're good. Some of our oil will get shipped east to cover shortages there, but I doubt we'll see anything like shortages ourselves.

Walk more, visit the neighbors, get tune-ups and your tires balanced and aligned. You should save on gas.

Good luck to you all.

drothgery

First Post
mythusmage said:
I was listening to the Dave, Shelly, and Chainsaw show this morning (KGB 101.5) when I heard Dave Rickards speak of one city in the south with gas prices of about $3.50 a gallon. He said that if prices were $3.50 outside San Diego he expected prices in San Diego to be about $4.00 a gallon. So he pulls into a station on his way to work, and pays $3.10 a gallon. Nice to be behind the curve for once. BTW, the show repeats at 10:00pm EDT, and can be heard at the website.

Heck, I paid $2.87/gal when I filled up my car at lunch today in Del Mar.

mythusmage said:
Now, it is true San Diego is not an island, but there are other ways of restricting access. The pipeline into San Diego hasn't been upgraded in years, nor the storage farm (singular). Why? Well, that gets into politics, so we shant discuss it. I can say that tribalism and nimbyism play a big part in it.

Eek.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Montgomery, AL
This afternoon:
Paceway 2.999 regular
Chevron across the street, 2.799 regular
Exxon across the street, 2.999 regular
Shell across from Sam's 2.999 regular
Sam's 2.699 regular

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Numion said:
I don't even own a car. I'll buy one when I move out of the city center, maybe, or when I get incredibly rich somehow ;). The public transportation is actually pretty cool here in capital area in Finland. There's a useful net site that you can type in street adressess, when you want to leave (or when you want to be there) and it offers you three quickest options combining busses, trains, subway and whats the third rail thingy, a tram (?), complete with maps and detailed instructions.

Everything is even mostly on schedule :)
Gives a whole new meaning to "turning green with envy", don't it? :)

Daniel

diaglo

Adventurer
Crothian said:
prices here stayed the same for a day!! :D
yeah, there still wasn't any after what happened yesterday.

no hay. no gas at the pump in 4 out of 5 stations i pass on the way to and from work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads