• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your gateway game of choice

WillOH

First Post
Ticket to Ride is now our standard game for newbies, but Alhambra and Ivanhoe are also great titles. We used to use Settlers and Carcassonne as well.

arscott

First Post
Fluxx and TransAmerica are both simple games with good crossover appeal. Settlers of Catan is easy enough to learn and Iconic of it's genre (plus, I kinda suck at it, so the new players aren't at a huge disadvantage when they play against me).

Cadfan

First Post
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne: Hunter's and Gatherers
Lascaux
Zooloretto
Cash & Guns

Depends a lot on the person. I've started some people right away on Agricola and had success. I knew they were geeks, so they wouldn't be turned off by a long game, and its so thematic that its easy on new players. And it really creates that "Oh, I REALLY should have done THAT!" feeling that makes people want to play again.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Besides some of the games already mentioned, we've had luck teaching newbies:

Shadows Over Camelot
Ricochet Robot
Zombies
EuroRails (though I would probably say Ticket to Ride is even easier)

And back when I was in high school, Axis and Allies was a pretty good gateway game. It had a broad appeal.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
For board game newbies we rely on very short duration games:

- Transamerica
- Viva il Ré
- Piranha Pedro

Metro, Ticket to Ride, and Alhambra, perhaps Settlers are good follow-ups. If they 'survive' their first contact, we treat them to other games compatible with their thematic interests.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
All the above suggestions are good (at least those I have heard of) and I will add my favorite non-gamer-game....

Family Business

Usually when playing with new players I will make an effort to not win. I don't necessarily throw the game, but I will sometimes do things that are stupid (like building a city on the border between a 12 and the desert in Catan) to give myself a handicap so I can see how I can dig myself out of it while the other players do their best.

DS

Dayspire

Explorer
I recently introduced my 10 year old daughter to board gaming with Arkham Horror. She did surprisingly well, I didn't have to hold her hand very much after the first few attempts, and to hear her tell her uncle that she, "killed a Gug, and killed Ithaqua with two swords!" was quite cute.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I recently introduced my 10 year old daughter to board gaming with Arkham Horror. She did surprisingly well, I didn't have to hold her hand very much after the first few attempts, and to hear her tell her uncle that she, "killed a Gug, and killed Ithaqua with two swords!" was quite cute.

Good crikey! That's like a pusher introducing some kids to drugs by getting them to mainline some black-tar heroin!

It took all my willpower just to shepard my wife through a game of Arkham Horror.

DS

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads