Your Kickstarter campaign is doomed

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
1) It's your first campaign, yet you have a wildly ambitious project, without any clear indication that you can deliver on it.

2) Who it's for is unclear. "Everyone" isn't a realistic target audience.

3) The product is incredibly expensive for something that everyone in the (actual) audience is probably capable of doing on their own. In fact, I can get what you're offering as your core product as the bonus/filler pages for more fully realized projects that cost less.

4) Who you are and what you do isn't clear, when you thought it was worth putting the creators into the video. If we're supposed to connect with you, tell us who you are! (Also, your video is very clearly shot in a wildly artificial set that's somehow supposed to be someone's home.)

5) Your product won't be ready for 18 months, despite it looking like something that anyone could make (see point three) over a long weekend, minus art orders. Why isn't this written ahead of time, at the very least?

6) BONUS: Your campaign just launched, yet has an incredibly high amount of money backed, but the actual backers listed, at the price tiers available, don't add up. You have clearly stuck several metaphorical $20 bills into the tip jar ahead of time, even though the store just opened five minutes ago.

Note: This is about a specific campaign, but is sadly broadly applicable.

Sparky McDibben

Adventurer
1) It's your first campaign, yet you have a wildly ambitious project, without any clear indication that you can deliver on it.

2) Who it's for is unclear. "Everyone" isn't a realistic target audience.

3) The product is incredibly expensive for something that everyone in the (actual) audience is probably capable of doing on their own. In fact, I can get what you're offering as your core product as the bonus/filler pages for more fully realized projects that cost less.

4) Who you are and what you do isn't clear, when you thought it was worth putting the creators into the video. If we're supposed to connect with you, tell us who you are! (Also, your video is very clearly shot in a wildly artificial set that's somehow supposed to be someone's home.)

5) Your product won't be ready for 18 months, despite it looking like something that anyone could make (see point three) over a long weekend, minus art orders. Why isn't this written ahead of time, at the very least?

6) BONUS: Your campaign just launched, yet has an incredibly high amount of money backed, but the actual backers listed, at the price tiers available, don't add up. You have clearly stuck several metaphorical $20 bills into the tip jar ahead of time, even though the store just opened five minutes ago.

Note: This is about a specific campaign, but is sadly broadly applicable.
Y'know, I keep seeing this take floating around, that Kickstarter success is in some way false, and I just don't get it. Are we saying there's a material (greater than 10%) portion of the Kobold Press Kickstarter that's fake?

Sorry, not buying it. At the very least there's a market of several thousand looking forward to this product. And that's something I'm happy about; more diversity means players being introduced to other games. And getting players comfortable with using other games means getting to play other games. So I find this attitude of, "Oh, that's fake," to be incredibly depressing.

Let's revel in success, rather than disparaging it.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
All things are doomed.
swing out dance GIF

Remove ads