• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Magical Preferences

You are correct about the automatic weapons. I should have said 'reasonably'. 'Are you really going to hunt deer with that M2'?

But the compairison is still one that grants interesting potential for a low magic world.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
FWIW, here in the D/FW area, there used to be a gentleman who owned a fully operational Sherman tank, which he used to take out for July 4th celebrations...including firing off a few rounds.

All at the cost of the rounds...and the $200 fee pe shell.

S'mon

Legend
In strong states, magic may be highly restricted, or regulated by guilds. Banning it leaves you too vulnerable in a typical D&D world, you want the guys with "Fireball" on *your* side. Mind control magic may be seen as more dangerous than area-destructive magic since it can subvert the kingdom unseen. In a typical setting the non-wizard King/Baron will have his own Magist(s), whose functions include protection vs enemy casters. A corrupt Magist can be very dangerous to the Lord, though - so either they are trusted old adventurer buddies, or much weaker than the Lord.

In a Points of Light setting, any authority is too weak to regulate wizardry much, and definitely-hostile monsters are a bigger problem than sometimes-hostile wizards. The local rulers may well seek to attract friendly wizards to their area and give them a free tower, slaves, gold etc in return for an undertaking that they'll help defend the area against attack.

steenan

Adventurer
I have several preferences concerning magic in fantastic worlds I play in. I'll list them in order of importance.

1. I respect Sanderson's First Law. For this reason, I need my magic to have clear boundaries. What can be done with it and what cannot? What is the reason of these limitations? If the magic is a catch-all for all imaginable strangeness, if I may explain whatever weird I encounter with "a wizard did it", that's a non-starter for me. Magic may be mysterious, it may be based on myths and symbols, but it must be concrete.

2. Magic must have a coherent cosmology. I need to know where it comes from, why it works, how it meshes with the rest of the world. I need to see that the consequences of this are taken into account, implemented in the setting. For example, if magic is directing energy flows through symbols, I expect all such symbols to work, no matter who draws them and in what scale. If magic is something one is born with, I expect wizard families that play the role of nobility.

3. I like it when magic is either an inherent, fundamental part of the world that couldn't exist without it (as physics is IRL), or is something definitely alien and invasive (demonic power and similar things). If magic feels tacked on, it's a big downer on the game. As a result, magic is either something that may be researched through a scientific method, or something that by its nature evades any classification and modeling by human mind - not something in between.

4. I don't like putting multiple kinds of magic in a game, unless they are both significantly different (in style and in effect) and unified by a bigger cosmological structure. That's the biggest problem I have with arcane, divine and psionical magic in one game. What is that what a wizard does if not using a power of mind? Is divine magic cast by humans (than why isn't it the same as arcane?) or by gods (then why does it depend on priest's power and experience?)? But if there were four separate magic paths using four elements, or gifts from two deities in a dualistic system, I'm ok with it.

5. Now to the mechanics. I strongly prefer magic that is limited by price or risk (as in "risk of significant inconvenience", not "risk of death or other kind of unplayability") to magic with hard limits (per adventure, per day etc.). I like both freeform and spell list magic systems, but the spell lists need to be relatively short and with strong thematics, while the freeform systems need clear boundaries.

6. Other than that, many variations are acceptable, as long as the setting is built with magic in mind. I may play in a Xanth-esque world where everyone has a single magical power. Or a world where everyone may learn magic, but in practice only rich people with a lot of patience do, as you have to study theory for 10 years or more before you are able to cast anything. Or where magical powers of great magnitude are available only to few thousands people in billions. Or where spells scale very strongly in risk and difficulty, so nearly every literate person is able to use some tricks, but only a few do powerful magic. And so on.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I don't like almost non-existent magic and I don't like the magic is everywhere (Eberron for example) levels. To me magic should be part of the world but not an everyday thing. People know magic exists and may well have seen a wizard or a cleric but not nessecarily seen magic cast nor seen a magic item. These things appear in game because we're focusing upon a group of heroes who move in circles and areas where they will see these things.

Good point.

What happens to religion when the locals have come to count on a 'cure light' for every slip of the axe (while chopping wood) but the church 'fails' to control the epidemic? In terms of number crunching, there should simply not be enough cure disease spells ( and high enough level casters) to save even the smallest of villages.

That is, unless everyone in the world is a 'class' NPC. Even then there might not be enough to go around

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
It kind of depends on the goal. If one is just building a fantasy world, I can see the justification for having lots of different "kinds" of magic, different schools for wizardry and sorcery and witchcraft, for necromancy and elfin magic and psionics, for miracle and druidry and shamanism, and however many other nuances and variations you could come up with. But sometimes that gets overdone, especially in RPGs.

In games, I'd much rather just have one thing that gets called "magic," and all the better if the rules are the same for arcane, divine, and psionic powers -- the fewer distinctions between them, the better.

In my own campaigns, for example, there is no separate thing called "psionics," because all ability to use magic is rooted in the caster's innate psychic potential. The words of the spell, the material components, and all the arcane trappings are mere channels or foci for the caster's ability to psychically affect the physical world.

The difference between arcane and divine magic is all in the caster's approach, not in the source of the power. (And all casters need spell-books; the gods are too distant and possibly-non-existent to grant miracles to their followers.) Arcanists treat magic as an art, a natural talent to be cultivated by individually practicing mages. Divine casters, on the other hand, see it more as a science, and they approach magic with more structure and rigor. So arcane casters in my settings come off feeling more like psychics and spirit mediums, while divine casters are portrayed as hermeticists, theurgists, and occult scientists. Mages are a cross between Dr Faust and Mme Blavatsky; while clerics are more like a cross between Dr Van Helsing and Aleister Crowley.

As to where the magic comes from, arcanists contend that the source of magic is the spirit world. Furthermore, the spells written into a spell book are actually formulae for drawing spirits out of this other realm and binding them within the mind of the caster. That's why mages have to memorize spells -- the spells themselves are actually spirits, trapped within the caster's memory until the mage releases them, and the spell's effect happens as a by-product of the spirit escaping back to its own plane!

Divine casters, meanwhile, are more likely to believe that magic is a gift from on high, and the actual power of magic flows from an impersonal energy source, the Luminiferous Aether, which the caster draws from the Aethereal Plane and stores within his soul until the energy can be released to cast the spell. Of course, magic being mysterious and all, there is no hard and fast means of proving the arcane theory, the divine theory, both, or neither to be correct.

The only kind of power that doesn't fit into the scheme is ch'i, the subtle and quasi-magical force wielded by very high-level monks. A ch'i-kung master is able to perform some astounding supernatural feats that certainly seem like magic or psychic power, except that they aren't. They're just an extension of martial arts training, and learning to mentally manipulate the flow of one's own life force (and, to a lesser extent, the Ch'i Pool that flows through all living beings). It's quasi-psychic, but not otherworldly enough to really count as magic, and there's definitely no spell-casting involved. Just simple Jedi mind-tricks.

With regard to the frequency of magic... the rarer the better. Magic should be just prevalent enough that everybody has heard of it, believes in it, and takes its reality for granted -- but not so much that everybody has seen magic performed. Likewise, magic items should be rare enough that they're considered, well, rarities, but not so obscure that your average commoner would doubt their power or their existence as a matter of course.

And the level of magic... maybe I'm just biased towards low-level games and Middle-Earth type settings, but I like magic to be subtle. It's just a preference, but IME once the players have their hands on earth-shattering magic, the game is far less of a challenge. So spells above 3rd level are very difficult to acquire. 3rd has some great stuff -- fireballs, lighting bolts, haste -- but 4th level and up, what with polymorphs and dimension doors kicking in at that level, that's where it really starts to get over the top. Hence the beauty of playing E6. It really keeps the magic manageable and suitably balanced.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads