• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your most pointless TV/movie/book nitpicks

Any time an army in a fantasy movie or medieval movie fires their bows, and they yell "FIRE!".

Any time they also conveniently light their arrows, so their opponents can see them more easily in the dark.

Any time a fantasy or medieval movie has lit torches on walls everywhere, even during the day. Who keeps those torches lit? How do they not burn through hundreds of torches every day?

Any time those torches have blue fire, painfully reminding the audience it is a modern gas light.

Ryujin

Legend
Any time an army in a fantasy movie or medieval movie fires their bows, and they yell "FIRE!".

Any time they also conveniently light their arrows, so their opponents can see them more easily in the dark.

Any time a fantasy or medieval movie has lit torches on walls everywhere, even during the day. Who keeps those torches lit? How do they not burn through hundreds of torches every day?

Any time those torches have blue fire, painfully reminding the audience it is a modern gas light.
You've reminded me that I wish Lindybeige would do more videos like this.

Dioltach

Legend
You've reminded me that I wish Lindybeige would do more videos like this.
That's hilarious. One of the things he doesn't point out is in the battle scene (after Priam first shouts "Archers!"). Most of the soldiers are just standing around tapping their swords together.

MarkB

Legend
Luke Skywalker had a blue lightsaber at the end of the Last Jedi, when it should've been the green one used in RotJ.
1703620927565.jpeg

Ryujin

Legend
That's hilarious. One of the things he doesn't point out is in the battle scene (after Priam first shouts "Archers!"). Most of the soldiers are just standing around tapping their swords together.
IIRC he mentions something about that in another video, possibly about the same movie. He also talks about the idiocy of showing your back to an opponent during a sword fight, just so that you can do some flashy move.

MarkB

Legend
Well sure. The OP was asking for nitpicks.
Luke's saber was green when we left him in RotJ.
That was the last saber that Kylo Ren would've seen him use - so it would've been more believable for the illusion. And it was the one that Luke was going to kill him with when Ren was his student.
It absolutely should've been green.
The blue one was a major plot point in this movie and the previous one. Luke rejected it at the start of the movie, then Rey and Ben destroyed it in their squabble.

Having Luke wield it in this scene is both a clue to viewers that he's not really there and a symbol of him finally accepting his legacy as a Jedi.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Alan Moore made his Nautilus massive, and the movie even more so, appearing much bigger than a battleship. I would estimate well over 10,000 tons. That's much bigger than the original novel, where it is stated as displacing 1,500 tons, smaller than many modern submarines. However, that would make Verne's Nautilus too small to contain all the stuff Verne put in it.

That may be true, but the film made the Nautilus huge in some scenes and very small in others (it can cruise the very narrow, relatively shallow, canals of Venice). THAT is my nitpick. It's just one of many absolutely absurd things in the film.

Retreater

Legend
The blue one was a major plot point in this movie and the previous one. Luke rejected it at the start of the movie, then Rey and Ben destroyed it in their squabble.

Having Luke wield it in this scene is both a clue to viewers that he's not really there and a symbol of him finally accepting his legacy as a Jedi.
For me (and I'd say plenty of other Star Wars fans) it didn't work.
A symbol still needs to make sense. A clue still has to be logical.

Remove ads