• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your opinion about very small PDFs

As a potential interested customer (PDF content, quality and price okay):

• I really don't like very small PDFs

Votes: 44 25.6%
  • I don't mind the size of PDFs

Votes: 102 59.3%
  • I actually prefer small sized PDFs

Votes: 26 15.1%

• Poll closed .

zeo_evil

First Post
I have to be honest. I don'r reallly like PDFs that much. They are quite often a pain in the ass to use and I would prefer having a book in my hand (to read on my lunch break or while relaxing in the yard with a lemonade) rather than having to jump back and forth in Acrobat.

I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for "PDFs usually, but not always, suck."

EDIT: Top of the page GET!

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I don't really care about the size of the PDF as long as it's easy to read, has well-written and well-edited material, and the price is right for the size. I've bought everything from Ronin Arts' small pdfs, to large scans of huge older edition D&D books, as long as the content is there and the price is right I'm happy.

Kane

DaveStebbins

First Post
I've been playing D&D for 25 years, so I have accumulated tons of material. If I buy a large product today, chances are good that I'll only get any use out of a small portion of it. For me, small, niche, PDF products are just the ticket. I don't buy them by the bucketful, but when one hits a niche I am interested in, I am rarely disappointed.

If I spend $30 on niche PDFs, I'll probably end up with ten times the information that I'll actually use than if I used the same $30 to buy a pretty new hardcover book. There are exceptions of course; I do still purchase large books and PDFs on occasion, but those purchases require much more research and reading of reviews to make sure the product will be worthwhile than buying a small PDF does.

I'm generally a much tougher sell than I was 25 years ago.

-Dave

Morte

Explorer
If a PDF is small, I'd rather the publisher reduced the price than padded it with irrelevent/inutile/inferior material.

There's enough useless waffle in the industry already.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
DaveStebbins said:
If I spend $30 on niche PDFs, I'll probably end up with ten times the information that I'll actually use than if I used the same $30 to buy a pretty new hardcover book.

That's what I like to hear. :) I think a lot of people are starting to look at the shorter PDFs in that way.

I just wish there was a cost effective way to allow people to mix and match content to create their own custom books. If I could I'd have a program where someone can select $60 worth of PDFs and have it put together into a printed book for $30.

reveal

Adventurer
philreed said:
That's what I like to hear. :) I think a lot of people are starting to look at the shorter PDFs in that way.

I just wish there was a cost effective way to allow people to mix and match content to create their own custom books. If I could I'd have a program where someone can select $60 worth of PDFs and have it put together into a printed book for $30.

Dave Stebbins - Placating RPG publishers since Jan 2002

:p

JBowtie

First Post
The issue I have with short PDFs is reviewing them. For example, Crothian sent me a 16-page PDF to review that contains a single prestige class. In a larger product I could find both positive and megative points worth mentioning; in a very small product I'm either going to love or hate it.

The end result is that I end up sounding way more positive or negative than I intend. I actually take 5 to 6 times longer to review a short product than a long one because I'm trying match my tone to my actual feelings.

Actually buying and using small PDFs I have no problem with, great way to round out a shopping basket at RPGNow.

Oh, and, that review will be up this weekend (really!); Next week I'm on vacation and will be spending all my time on reviewing the products on my bookshelf.

Khairn

First Post
Unless a small pdf is exactly what I am looking for, I pass.

I dont farm for idea's with small pdf the same way I do with those that are at least 50+ pages.

Ry

Explorer
While I don't care about the size of the pdf (I have bought tiny ones before, and liked them tremendously), there are often so many that it's hard to get a proper review on one I'm considering.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads