• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Your opinions & suggestions on VTT's

zasgard

Explorer
Hello!

So, what I'm wanting to do is run a list of characters through some old and new D&D modules via some sort of online program/software. I've used Tabletop Simulator before so I'm familiar with it and I know people use it for DnD. I know I can import most maps, throw down some objects if needed and some mini's and off I go. However, after viewing some videos and seeing 3d maps I squealed like a 4 year old in a candy store. After more research, I quickly realised that it's not super easy to do this, but nonetheless, it's something I'd like to explore.

I've looked at multiple map making software and I've narrowed it down to Dungeondraft. It looks like it's intuitive enough for someone of my limited ability. However upon more research I came across Dungeon Alchemist and it looks amazing. The 3d map making seems pretty intuitive even for a map making noob like me, however, it will NOT work in TTS. So, here I am asking the super knowledgeable VTT folks which program/software should I be looking that has the ability to use 2d/3d maps?

As a caveat, I wanted to say I WILL NOT be running games with other players. It's just me and I do not want to just use pencil/paper. I like the visuals of virtual gaming and I'm willing to put in some time to learn, but in the end, I'd prefer something a little more user friendly.

I have briefly looked at Map Tools, but I'm not sure if this has the ability to handle what I'm wanting to do, but that's as far as I've gotten. I will admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed as there are so many options, but I'm eager to get going on this little project.

Thank you all for your time and more importantly your advice.

Retreater

Legend
I'm getting into Talespire on Steam for 3d design. There are also minis and die rolling. I haven't progressed very far with it yet, just messing around at this stage. Maybe worth a look?

drl2

Explorer
There are lots of VTTs with their own pros and cons but the only one I'm aware of that can be coerced into doing something similar to what TTS does is Foundry, and that's via a user-developed 3d plugin. It looks like there's still a fair amount of work involved in getting a scene up and running.

The developer has a Youtube channel with a some helpful videos to get an idea how it works:

Stormonu

Legend
As a caveat, I wanted to say I WILL NOT be running games with other players. It's just me and I do not want to just use pencil/paper. I like the visuals of virtual gaming and I'm willing to put in some time to learn, but in the end, I'd prefer something a little more user friendly.
So, are you talking solo gameplay?

If that's the case you might want to consider older game engines too, such as (Bioware's) NeverWinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, (Atari's) Temple of Elemental Evil and the old Gold Box (by SSI) games. DOSBox or GoG would be the avenue to get those running. A lot of them have tools or mods to run old D&D modules converted to these engines (especially Neverwinter Nights), if you don't mind the computer acting as the DM for you.

Remove ads