• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your own D&D app

Stormonu

Legend
If your were going to program your own D&D ipad/iphone/tablet app (any edition), and it were to do one aspect of the game, what would you most want it do?

Track Characters?
Make Maps?
Track Combat?
Roll Dice?
Generate Random Dungeons?
Make/Track Monsters?
Rules Encyclopedia?
NPC generator?
Solo game play?

Something else?

Basically, I'm looking for ideas for something to program in my (not-so-copious) free time. And because I'm curious, as always.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
ETool is a long forgotten dream...;)

I think an app would have to be two or more apps that can work together and has some form of built in linking.

1st App: Players handbook, player creation and NPC but needs to be able to add stats on the fly. Spells and equipment list also. Dice roller and note.

2nd App: DM Guide, rules but again has to be able to change them. Also have the monsters in this app. Dice roller & notes. Now for module creation, from start to finish, the app should allow the GM import a pic, add linking that takes you to the notes and stats.

3rd App: Table top map,create a map or pull in a pic, have drag and drop icons, fog of war. The icons link back to monsters, NPCs, Players.

Now for the POWER --- WiFi/Bluetooth! If I am the DM and running a game, I should be able to broadcast the game to other people around the table. A update on stats, a note, a clue. The could see the map, the icons. I as the DM would just hit a button, enter text, attach a file and boom the players all have it in game.

Online, I guess Battlegrounds or Fantasy Grounds or any of the others is the closes to it.

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
3.5, e6 version, character generation. No need for prestige classes, but ability to add my own campaign-unique races a necessity.

For iPad.

teach

First Post
I would love an app that allowed people to do all their DMing right from their iphone/ipad/website.

Here's what I wish it would have:

1. Character Manager (players can upload their characters to the website, which would allow the DM to pull pertinent information during combats and skill challenges)
2. links to monsters (either in the D&D compendium or SRD, depending on edition) with the ability to pull the information into...
3. the Initiative/combat tracker
4. XP/treasure tracker, with information tied to character manager
5. Ability for people to write adventures that could be used in the app.

I think this is a bit too much of a pie in the sky pipedream, and many of these things exist, they just don't play well enough together for my taste.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Character creator / tracker, definitely. The tablet form factor just seems so well-suited to building characters and then using the character sheet at the table (keeping track of hit points, spells, etc.). I play a lot of D&D 4th Edition and I own a Xoom tablet; it frustrates me to no end that I can't use Character Builder on the Xoom (stupid Silverlight...).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would love a dungeon map creation and management tool. Let me draw maps (with all the appropriate D&D symbols, like secret doors) in both black and blue, let me pull them up on either the iPhone or the iPad (sharing them via DropBox or iCloud) and let me export them or even print them via AirPlay.

And yes, I do pay for apps, and happily.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I play a lot of D&D 4th Edition and I own a Xoom tablet; it frustrates me to no end that I can't use Character Builder on the Xoom (stupid Silverlight...).
It was indefensible when they rolled it out (any industry already in decline can't afford to flip off all the Mac-users in schools) -- and showed a staggering lack of awareness of what was already happening in the market then -- and has just gotten more head-slappingly stupid as time went on.

Remove ads