• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your own personal gaming terms...

Valesin

First Post
The 'reactive character': anyone with an initiative roll under 5. "I'm not slow, I'm reactive."

Getting scullied: being surprised even if you are expecting something bad to happen. Named for Agent Scully of the X-Files who always had her gun out as she walked into the room where she knew there was a bad guy...and got ambushed anyway.

Pulling a Morrin: any PC (usually with enhanced movement) who get very far ahead of the party and then complains when they have to take the bad guys on all alone. Named for a monk PC; these are almost always monks seeing as how barbarians would never complain about being outnumbered.

Psychic-ninja-vampire: any PC who tries to cover too many base, or who tries to be good at everything.

"Meaty" and/or "Tasty": the names given to any (non-magical) mounts or pack animals. Inevitably killed and eaten.

kenobi65

First Post
Rackhir said:
My original college gaming group used "Prang" for an attack that fails to penetrate one's armor or is defeated by armor. As in "It prangs." Came out of a Runequest campaign, where it was supposed to be the sound that weapons made bouncing off of the bronze armor.

"Prang" is also a common slang term in model rocketry...it refers to a rocket that doesn't successfully deploy its recovery system, and crash-lands, probably making a similar sound. :D

kenobi65

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Hassan CHOP!
When a sword- or axe-wielding character does a very large amount of damage.

I use that one occasionally, myself, and almost no one gets it. :(

(It comes from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, based on Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, IIRC. Hassan was a guard with a huge falchion, and he'd say "Hassan CHOP!" before he did.)

Dracorat

First Post
Meat Shield
Fighter with maxed AC and HPs.

Sword and Board
Standard load out for the Meat Shield

Joat
Jack-Of-All-Trades
(Sometimes also a Joatmon, with an islander accent usually "jo-at-mahn")

SoP
The usual process of doing the following at a door, all in this specific order:
Examine casually for traps (spot check)
Listen (listen)
Search for traps (search)
Disable if needed (disable)
Attempt to twist handle (test for locked-ness)
Unlock if I have to (unlock)
Hold knob turned to open position, but do not budge the door-yet.

...usually followed with a quick nod to the party before they throw open the door and jump in screaming for the deaths of the mobs behind it.

As previously mentioned, SoP stands for "Standard Operating Procedure"

No, no I don't think it works like that
Players attempt to alter reality

Yes, yes it does
Reality fighting back

OK, sounds great, we will do it your way
Reality getting a reality check

Cheese
Anything that involves total annhialation of something with a minimum of effort due to some obscure but effective method of doing the same.
Dude, pinning the wizard every time you fight him is total cheese.
Yeah, at least be glad it isn't you.
True, carry on

Staff of Ultimate Fireballs
One of my players running 'wish list' items. Eventually, he got one, just to find that it was an artifact and channeled energy from believers to power those fireballs. It was unfortunate that only one worshipper was living; the wizard who wanted it so bad. In which case, it deals 1D1 fireballs. But hey, it can do them non-stop!

Killer DM
Somehow, I get the feeling that my players aren't talking about my looks.

I demand a recount
When the DM says '... and it deals 12D6 ...'

"Save vs WTF" - when a PC does something so weird that the NPCs jaws drop.

"Flop!" Failing a save vs massive damage (very common in D20 Modern; we don't use massive damage rules in DnD, either.) Also used if someone drops.

"Sleight of Arse". Hiding an impossibly large object, like a sawed-off shotgun, up your ... you know.

"Sleight of Stupidity." When the Sleight of Hand skill seduces PCs into doing something really stupid, like robbing a mob boss of his $5000 wad he just flashed, "disabling" a bikini, or stealing a custom agent's gun resulting in a firefight with a SWAT team. (The skill, as written, suggests that if you can make a Sleight of Hand check DC 20, you can steal pretty much anything, even if the target is looking at you.) I seriously hate that skill and need to change it.

"We don't kill cops!" Used to calm down angry players. Caused by a situation where a PC actually had a good reason to kill a cop, decided not to, only to watch another PC shoot the cop.

"Smack of healing." When your Treat Injury score is so good, you don't need tools of any kind.

"Gibber." Remnants of an enemy splatted by an explosive.

"I hate
GM: ." When the GM pulls a RBGM trick.

"Steve-ing the dice." This player used to cheat on die rolls all the time. (He'd roll really close to where he was sitting, so no one could see him, and he'd say "I hit.") We had to throw him out of the group.

"Pull a Steve." Steve's character was thrown in prison, without his katana. We tried to rescue him, but he said he's rather die than leave the prison because he wouldn't get his sword back. He got shot down by a guard; we killed the guard and rescued Steve's character anyway. When he awoke, he wanted to commit suicide but could only use his sword to do it. Naturally we swiftly got his sword and presented it to him, but he didn't kill himself.

The player was tossed out of the group after that incident, and later on his character was found enslaved in a later adventure. (We declined to rescue him.)

"I was just giving directions" or "I was telling my mom how to get here." Two PCs broke out of jail and stole a car. They didn't have great Drive or Navigate checks. They ended up on CNN. A PC driver (watching them on TV) bet on their success, then called the two PCs and started shouting directions, treated as aid another. Afterwards, when suspicious civilians wanted to know what that was about ... "I was just telling my mom how to get here."

Afterwards I wondered where the PCs got their cell phone from.

"Fibbie." FBI agent.

"Hulk Smash." When a cleric uses Righteous Might and then attacks something.

"You are the world's worst doctor." When you find out a new facet of a fellow PC. (Happened in a very low combat campaign, when a player found out my doctor PC was also a gunslinger.)

Red/Yellow/Green Condition. Used to indicated hit points left (in terms of a fraction). The GM can't really keep track of PC hit points, so sometimes he asks the PC's condition. PCs also ask about NPC health.

dracolich40

First Post
My friends actually came up with some funny "abbreviation" names for the books.

For example, we call the PHB the "Pihb."

The monster manuals, we call the "mmm..." followed by the respective number.

Its actually quite funny.

dracolich40

First Post
Also, we call the DMG the "Dimguh."
The Book of Exalted Deeds is the "bode."
This may sound quite wierd at first, but these abbreviations and others are ones we've come to know and love.

"PeeHub" - Player's Handbook
"Stoning Offense" - Any action that result's in the DM picking-up his large novelty dice and chucking them at the offending player. Usually a really bad pun or joke.
"I got a Rock" - Rolling a one. (taken from the "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown")
"Ker-SMACK" - Any heavy hit, but usually a Nat 20. Can also be applied to the damage roll out come too.
"Pulling a Rurik" - 1) Getting an insanely high initiative score 2) Blindly entering a room or opening a chest, container ,etc w/o firtst checking for traps. So named for the dwarven cleric of Moradin in our group that took Improved Initiative at 1st level and has a 17 Dexterity in addition to LEGALLY rolling high nearly every flippin' time. (Usually 21 or higher total) or his habit of saying I open the (door/chest/sack/etc) usually followed by a group scream of NO!!!, immediately followed by Boom,whoosh,thunk, etc.
"A Rurick Roll" - Any insanely high roll on any check except damage and (Healing) spells. Same cleric - rolls really high all the time (has the most hit points, usually hits, etc) but consistantly rolls 1 & 2 for damage and the number of points healed when he casts a (healing) subtype spell. And they say that Kharma doesn't exist. :)

mara

First Post
DM Gold
Definition: Feces or a bad idea.
Origin: A guess at what went through our old DM's head when he developed railroading plotlines involving his GMPCs. The term was then used for bad gaming ideas and mutated into fecal matter in general.
Example: "That'll be DM gold!" "What a pile of DM gold!"

arwenarrowny

First Post
Spilk v: 1: To die a gruesome death, usually in a manner which leaves the character at -25 or more HP. 2: To have one's already dead character located inside the radius of a high-level area effect spell.

In an old 3.0 campaign, our party (containing Spilk the spiked chain-wielding dwarf) ran up against a large group of classed lizardfolk in what turned out to be the biggest knock-down, drag-out fight of the campaign. Nearly every party member was reduced to 10% or fewer HP, and 2 died. One of the fallen was Spilk, who was downed by a critical hit from a greataxe while at single-digit hitpoints. He had managed get himself separated from the rest of the party on one flank, and the lizardmen eventually overcame his spiked cheese, I mean chain. Well, the party cleric saw him fall, and decided that the priority had to be holding back the lizardmen who were no longer occupied on our flank. He proceeded to cast blade barrier centered on the dead dwarf.

Since that time, any character reduced to a fine red mist has been referred to as being "Spilked."

Remove ads