• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your own personal gaming terms...

Chaldfont

First Post
We've started to use internet acronyms to keep the swearing down now that we have kids. So you'll hear a lot of WTF, HFS, CF, and such.

Pixie Stick CLW wands. Named after that candy you get in plastic straws.
BK Broiler When a druid casts entangle, then flame strike. Named after a player whose initials are BK
Mike's Rules A long list of unwritten rules for surival. One is "Glyphs are Bad".
The Monster Lounge The pile of unused minis pushed to the side of the battlemat or the secret stash of minis the DM is preparing to use. We joke that the monsters have a union, a crappy boss and complain a lot around the watercooler. Sometimes someone will put on an impromptu Monster Lounge skit inspired by events at work.

Gold Roger

First Post
"To Peter": What a player does whose PC dies. Origanally only used when the player this was named after lost a PC underground. By now he has lost so many PC's, some of them above ground, that it's a universal term.

"Bane": Alternate name for Righteous Might, named so because a cleric used the aspect of bane mini when he cast that spell.

"Bane smash": To get in a heavy hit in melee. Named after said miniatures resemblance to a certain superhero and the clerics meleeing.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Centaur: Any large creature. So called because we used a scattering of D&D minis, and the only Large one was the centaur.

The Dice Gods: The reason you roll well or poorly. It's not probability, it's the Dice Gods. Occasionally they smile on a certain player, but far more often do they forsake them.

Defiling: The practice, no longer in use, of one of the guys I gamed with to improve his rolls by "sucking the luck" out of other people's dice, usually through a hand gesture and vaccuum sound effects. Frighteningly, this seemed to work more often than not. Named after the spellcasters in Dark Sun. Long-term use of defiling is a sure way to anger the Dice Gods (q.v.)

Slashy-Slashy: What fighters are good for.

Healy-Healy: What clerics are good for.

Glick: The noise made by a critical hit or fatal blow.

Demiurge out.

kirinke

First Post
Conversing with the birdies, seeing the birdies and hearing birdies sing.
Usually applied with the bad-guys bash a character unconscious. Happens quite abit to one of mine.

Contrarian

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Zot: Shothand for saying, "I cast magic missle." So named after our made-up sound for a magic misle.

Huh. We used to use that one in Ohio, too.

dracolich40 said:
My friends actually came up with some funny "abbreviation" names for the books.

For example, we call the PHB the "Pihb."

The monster manuals, we call the "mmm..." followed by the respective number.

Its actually quite funny.

2E used the abbreviation PHBR for "Player's Handbook Rules Supplement". I knew a guy who called them "the pherbers".

There was also a cluster of guys in my gaming club who turned the abbreviation "M-U" into "mu", as a shorthand for "magic-user". I don't know what it was with the guys I went to college with; they just liked making up words.

My contribution: Back from the dungeon-crawling days when PCs felt obligated to stop at every door, have the thief put his ear to it, and roll for "Hear Noises". My standard response to a failed roll?

"Its sounds like wood."

Kapalen

First Post
I've got a few

Overkill: When you kill someone by more than 10 points in one swing

Shoot it in teh face: My old ranger was a very suspicious person and whenever he suspected someone of being up to no good he'd suggest this. Stuck around because in the very first session of DnD I ever played in he said this about a sexy lady in a dungeon. Everyone else thought him mad, but then she attacked us while we slept.

Kinut Fashoot: My old ranger's signature move of kicking it in the nuts and Shooting it in the face

Bobbed it: Bob, had a bad night and kept knocking all the baddies to 1 hp. So whever you miss killing someone by 1 HP you Bobbed it. Now also used to refer to missing a saving throw, or any roll by 1. Sometimes mistakenly used to refer to fumbles (nat 1's)

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
Trip in the Bag : a euphemism for dying, originating in the practice of stuffing PC and cohort remains in the bag of holding. "Crap--failed my save! Looks like a trip in the bag for me!"

"Tie up this loose end" : code speak to the resident brute to take someone out during what's supposed to be a social encounter.

"T" is for Turtle : When you fail a pretty obvious Spot check, like in the episode of South Park where Barbrady walks obliviously past very visible disasters while teaching himself to read.

Shiny Red Button : The thing you're obviously not supposed to touch, or the person you're obviously not supposed to piss off.

Button Masher: One who presses the SRB. A lot.

Bonk Stick : Pretty much any blunt instrument; "I whack 'im with my Bonk Stick!"

PMD : Polish Mine Detector. Refers to a party member who sets off a trap. It's usually used in the sense of when someone deliberately tricks another PC or NPC into setting off a suspected trap.

Beans : Why bother telling all the crap the DM just told you to the rest of the PCs when the players are sitting right there: "I beans the rest of the group."

I implore you to reconsider: When a PC has a ridiculous Diplomacy score. Taken from Kung Pow; the main character is flatly told "No," at one point, which he responds to with the bolded line. The other character pauses and says "OK!"

Chaotic Stupid: Chaotic Neutral done poorly.

Lawful Stupid: Lawful Good done poorly.

Nothing but Outer Space!: Inspired by the part in Dark City where they burst through the wall to find NbOS on the other side, shattering their perception of being in an actual city. This is said when the verismillitude of a game falls apart because of a DM blunder: "What Great House does the king's mother belong to?" "Huh? Uh...I'm not sure...er...lemme check..." "Ahhhh! Nothing but Outer Space!"

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
"Arm lopping damage" Before I joined the group, 6d6 was once rolled for damage on having somebody's arm cut off. The result...7. This DM is famous for rolling poorly for damage, especially on d6s. Now we call arm-lopping whenever very low damage is rolled.

"Mole!" When someone points out rules or situations that hurt the party, such as reminding the DM of something that squashes us more thoroughly, or telling a player why X cool action that saves our bacon doesn't actually work.

One player likes to mispronounce things in an inside joke sort of way. Drives me nuts. Fortunately, it hasn't spread to the rest of the players. Lychanthropes becom lick-en-thropes, scimitars are skimtars, and fireballs are furballs. Moreover, whenever one of those words is said, he'll repeat it his way. "I cast fireball." "A furball?"

"Army" Coined for my druid character. I had an animal companion, a cohort, and made frequent use of Summon Nature's Ally (especially at levels 8-10). My turn took forever. I could speak to any animal or anything on my Summon list (boon from a god), and would occasionally ask intelligent creatures we encountered if they wanted to join my army. They never did.

"X offers dental" Whenever we're trying to convince someone or something to join our side, or try to weasle our way past a bad guy by suggesting that maybe we could work for him, one player always brings up dental insurance.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
And what would you have told me if I'd made the roll? - I was playing with a relatively inexperienced DM many, many years ago, and my rogue failed in his attempt to find traps. The DM gave me quite a detailed description of what I didn't find. So I asked 'what would you have told me if I'd made the roll? and he proceeded to spill the beans :)

Since then, in situations when someone has only just failed in a skill check, they will often try it on by using this phrase!

Remove ads