• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Own Private Island

Nellisir

Hero
Much of this, for me, falls under "not an idiot". Are you going to have a radio? Of course you are. You're not an idiot.

My two biggest concerns are social and environmental. You have enforced closeness with (whoever is there) and no way of getting away from them. It's not something people in middle american society are accustomed to. You're also isolating people from an environment they can easily interact with without dying. You could be on the most wonderful reef in the world, but it will still kill you in 4 minutes without oxygen.

So, physically, I don't think you'd need much space. It's psychologically. I'm not sure what could be done to make it an attractive option for me.

I could go for an island, though. And I'll happily come visit.

I'd be OK living on a boat though, travelling from place to place.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Of course assuming money is no object, I still start with the lower ranges...

Bahamas
Bonefish Cay
cimage_a4f2c8d716-thumbb.jpg

"An amazing opportunity to own property in the Bahamas for under US $1M! Just reduced, Bonefish Cay is located in the Middle Bight of Andros, and is just a short flight from Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas.

Approximately six acres in size, this island has ten foot elevations, protected water about three feet in depth, and three small beaches. An ideal location for a private retreat, the island was once home to an old cottage whose concrete foundation and landscaped pathways could still be used.

Beautiful islands this size for this price are rare in the Bahamas. Come experience your own secluded paradise in the warm, cerulean waters of the Caribbean."

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/islands/goat-cay-bahamas1
cimage_3a4ef85d7b-thumbb.jpg

"Located in the northern section of the Berry Islands, Goat Cay represents one of the last remaining undeveloped private islands that is available for freehold purchase at a reasonable price.

The island is in a protected bay and is sheltered from direct exposure to the Atlantic Ocean. One lovely aspect of the island is the elevation which rises to just shy of 50 feet in the centre of the island as well as a few hills with 30 - 40 foot elevations affording numerous building sites. Although the island does not have a beach there is a sandy area in the northwest section of the island where a beach could be created without too much difficulty.

There are a few good locations for docking facilities. The island is heavily wooded with many native old growth hard woods. Bullocks Harbour, the nearest town, is just 4.6 miles away on the popular and beautiful Great Harbour Cay featuring an international airport with customs and immigration facilities."

Bonefish Cay has my attention. On the western shore, in the Middle Bight of Andros, it has plentiful shallows for swimming, diving, and the like. On the eastern shore the waters drop down to six thousand feet in the Tongue of the Ocean. Whales, swordfish, and the like are there in numbers. Two legendary critters in the area are the Lusca and the Chickcharnie. Of course the region is also accessible, only a couple of hours flight from Ft. Lauderdale. It is also closer to a more populated area, Ambergris Caye, where one could shop, do business, and get scuba tanks refilled. It also has a foundation from a homesite built in the 30s, paths, a dock, a cistern, and a few wells already drilled for use.

Nellisir

Hero
Dude. CAVE.
Also. MISSILE SILOS. PLURAL.

(and a nice, cheap, big bookshelf that I am going to discuss with my wife but would look just fine in my house.)

Nellisir

Hero
Bonefish Cay has my attention. On the western shore, in the Middle Bight of Andros, it has plentiful shallows for swimming, diving, and the like. On the eastern shore the waters drop down to six thousand feet in the Tongue of the Ocean. Whales, swordfish, and the like are there in numbers. Two legendary critters in the area are the Lusca and the Chickcharnie. Of course the region is also accessible, only a couple of hours flight from Ft. Lauderdale. It is also closer to a more populated area, Ambergris Caye, where one could shop, do business, and get scuba tanks refilled. It also has a foundation from a homesite built in the 30s, paths, a dock, a cistern, and a few wells already drilled for use.

Bonefish Cay sounds good to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads