• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your RPG $$$s

Ulfgeir

Hero
I spend it on kickstarters and gaming conventions (though mostly there now to play board games and talk to friends). Have more games than I have time to play (prefer to be a player and not a gm)

Sadras

Legend
Like Umbran rightly said - Time is an issue.

I have 8 others RPG games on my shelf besides D&D - and I have only played 3 of them.
These days I invest in my D&D campaign (printing maps, creating tokens and acquiring fan-input from the DMsGuild that can tie into the storyline). I do not worry about the rest.

Fanaelialae

Legend
The bulk of my RPG expenditures nowadays are on Kickstarters. Sure, I probably won't get to play 99+% of them, but I enjoy reading them. I don't think there's any product I've gotten that hasn't resulted in at least one cool inspirational idea that I could steal for my D&D campaign. Usually more than one. Plus, particularly with first time designers, I like the idea that in some small part I am helping someone realize their dream.

Back in the day, it was probably mostly spent on miniatures (until the collection became difficult to transport and I had to say to myself "this is probably enough").

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I tend to buy quite a lot of adventures on pdf’s to draw inspiration for my games. Honestly, I already have more material than I can ever use, but if I see something interesting on drivethrurpg, I’ll propably put it in wishlist and then buy what I gather there every few months.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I've got all the D&D 5e books plus I buy a lot of art and music. The only Kickstarter I've backed is Talespire which is an amazing-looking virtual table top.

innerdude

Legend
My relationship with RPG $$$ spending is similar to that of video games.

Every time I see that Steam or gog.com is running a sale, I get all excited for about 10 seconds, until I remember that I don't even have time to play the 200+ games I already own.

I have spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on video games I've never finished, nor even played in many cases.

-Never finished any of the Assassin's Creed games past 2
-Never finished Neverwinter Nights 2
-Barely even started Mass Effect 1, let alone finishing it (or 2 or 3)
-Knights of the Old Republic is 18 years old now. Never finished it
-All of the new Tomb Raider games
-Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided -- never finished

The question when I consider spending money on video games now is not whether I "want" the purchase, it's whether I want it enough to actually spend time playing it.

Same with RPGs. I will not spend money unless it's for something I'm reasonably certain I will use/play in the next 18 months.

My total RPG spending for the past 18 months:
-I backed the Savage World's Adventurer's Edition kickstarter last summer.
-Bought the Genesys core rulebook and 3 sets of dice
-Picked up a copy of The One Ring Adventurer's Guide a week ago since it is going out of print and the aftermarket prices were going to skyrocket.

My first criteria for purchasing RPG stuff is that 99% of it has to be digital. I do not want more minis, maps, books, or anything else that I have to find a place to put it. If it doesn't store on my hard drive, I don't want it. (The last physical thing, only thing in several years, is a poster map of the Frontier for Star Frontiers. And its in storage.) Since my digital tool of choice is Fantasy Grounds, almost everything I buy is a FG product/module.

90% of what I buy has to be something I am actually going to use.
10% I buy because I want to support the creator.

80% of what I buy is products from the FG Store (85% of that is D&D 5E products)
15% of what I buy is from the DMsGuild.
5% of what I "buy" is Patreon support.

* All numbers rough estimates.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads