• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Second Love

Bagpuss

Legend
Cyberpunk 2020 although because so many people feel the need for elves and magic I often found myself having to play Shadowrun. Which is kind of like having to date Britney Spears during her MTV "come back" performance, when really you fancied Christina Aguilera in the Dirty video. :(

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My second love (which became my first love) was Runequest 2 - still the most elegant, entertaining and extensible RPG I've experienced. I'd go back to it in a shot, and I'd love to have a go at playing my Empire of the Petal Throne variant, my Dark Sun variant or my Eberron variant again :)

(Honourable mentions for games which were a complete blast at the time, although I've never gone back to them. Space Opera, Cyberpunk 2020, Bushido.

Cheers

I'm sure that 90% of us started out on some flavor of D&D. For me, it will always be my "first love" in tabletop gaming. Here's the question: what is your "second love?" When you first started branching out from the system you started gaming in, what's the first system that really clicked for you?

For me, it was Mage: the Ascension. After years of DMing D&D, I finally got to play in a game whose basic assumptions, top to bottom, were completely different. I will always love the way Mage works, and to this day it's the yardstick against which I compare all other games.

How about you? What's the first system you stumbled upon after you started gaming that really did it for you?

D&D is my second love. I originally played Shadowrun. I would still like to go back sometimes, though I think D&D is overall better.

Torg might be my third love...

Jhaelen

First Post
The first probably was Runequest.
Later Ars Magica and Mage entered my personal hall of fame.

I still love all of these for different things.

Belgarath

First Post
Like most here I started playing D&D first. I was introduced to the original red book for an idea of the rules, but my first game was AD&D1e. Against the advice of both the DM and other players, my first character was a mage :)

I played a number of games, but never really found what i think is the greatest RPG until i found GURPS. It still is my favorite.

My third favorite game is Mage: the Ascension. I love how magic works it it, the sheer flexibility

The Green Adam

First Post
D&D may be my first love chronologically but its not my first love in gaming by a long shot. That my friends, would probably be Traveller.

My second love touches upon my first in none-gaming fandom, the Star Trek RPG by FASA. It was the first game I purchased with only my own money, the first thing I ever bought at the FLGS I still go to (25 years as a customer) and for love of Andor, its freakin' Star Trek! As a game! I love that thing to pieces.

AD
"HEY! Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"

Weregrognard

First Post
Overall, it was Star Wars (D6) for me, judging that it is the game I ran most after D&D.

Honorable mention goes to:

-Rifts (you know you loved it back in the day)
-Mage: the Ascension (the themes of this game spoke to me...too bad my friends just didn't "get it")
-GURPS (during my short-lived simulationist phase)
-Shadowrun (2nd edition)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads