• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Sword & Sorcery / Fantasy Fiction D&D Dream Party?

Terry DM

Explorer
If you were to assemble a D&D party/group/mercenary company made up of famous characters from fantasy / sword & sorcery fiction, who would you consider?

My tentative list (since I'm nowhere near my bookcases) would include:

Conan (Barbarian)
Kane (Warrior)
Kull (Warrior)
Gandalf (Wizard)
Elric (Sorcerer?)
The Grey Mouser (Rogue)
Fafhrd (Barbarian)
Drizz't (Ranger)
Paksenarrrion (Paladin)
Deathdealer (Warrior)
Elminster (Wizard)
Gord (Rogue)

Can't think of any Bards or Monks at the moment ... jeez, this is way harder than I thought! LOL

Is there anyone you would exclude?

Last edited:

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Abraham Van Helsing (Cleric)
Sir Gawain (Paladin)
Merlin (Wizard)
Meriadoc Brandybuck (Rogue)
Gimli, Son of Glóin (Fighter)
Jacob Marley (Expert, Ghost)

Aus_Snow

First Post
Fflewddur Fflam (Bard)
Ged (Mage)
Druss (Warrior)
Aragorn (Ranger)

edit: Note that my list is NOT a "dream party"! Just names that come to me, as they come to me.

Last edited:

Abraham Van Helsing (Cleric)
Sir Gawain (Paladin)
Merlin (Wizard)
Meriadoc Brandybuck (Rogue)
Gimli, Son of Glóin (Fighter)
Jacob Marley (Expert, Ghost)

Gawain a paladin? Are you thinking of Galahad? Gawain is not exactly the paladin type, imo. And would come some way behind Lancelot or Tristram in terms of effectiveness as a fighter.

My small group.
Bahzell Banahksson, Barbarian/Paladin - for when I want things thumped, and a useful healer. From David Weber's books The War Gods Own, Oath of Swords, and Wind Rider's Oath.
Ammar ibn Khairan, Rogue - poet, diplomat, soldier and assassin, later also a general. From Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of al-Rassan.
Lythande, Wizard - highly skilled wizard, with some healing magic, and decent with a sword too. From the Thieves' World anthologies.
Wren, Bard - skilled with music and magic. From Mercedes Lackey's Bardic Voices series.
Red Sonja, Ranger - or possibly barbarian, and another main front line fighter, also highly skilled with a bow. Loosely based on an R.E. Howard character, but best known from comics.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Gawain a paladin? Are you thinking of Galahad? Gawain is not exactly the paladin type, imo. And would come some way behind Lancelot or Tristram in terms of effectiveness as a fighter.

Yes, Gawain. At least, the characterization of him in the pre-Malory romances; most notably, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Not exactly from Fantasy/Sword & Sorcery Fiction, but fiction (mostly) none the less. And characterwise, my Dream Party...

Marshal Mary Shannon (Fighter - from the show In Plain Sight)
Detective Charlie Crews (Zen Paladin that likes fresh fruit - from the show Life)
Ted Nugent (Ranger - I know, not a fictional character...but definitely larger than life)
Dexter Morgan (Assassin)
Autolycus (Thief - the Bruce Campbell version:D)
Aleister Crowley (Wizard - also not a fictional character...but his life sure as hell reads as one!:))
Hannibal Lecter (Healer/Assassin/Leader - he and Dex get along smashingly:D)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads