• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your thoughts on Dragon #346's 'Fortune Telling' stat generation

Storyteller01

First Post
I bought the Three Dragon Ante cards to try this out. It's a 11 card 'spread' that adds a random twist to the point buy system. Seems fun in testing (albiet something like those magic tricks relying on math), but I haven't used it in real play yet. What were your experiences, if any?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I haven't tried it yet, but I love the concept! It solves the uneven problem of dicing for stats while keeping the fun that arises from randomness.

FireLance

Legend
hong said:
What's the details?
It's been some time since I read the article, but the basic idea is that you distribute a number of tokens (which represent the points) among the various attributes and one (or maybe more) central pools, lay out the cards in a pattern, and the way the cards are distributed influences the way the tokens move. For example, one card might indicate that your character is more inclined towards physical pursuits, and so you take three tokens from the central pool and add one each to the Strength, Dexterity and Constitution pools. Another card might indicate that you sacrificed Constitution for Intelligence, so you take some points from the Constitution pool and add them to the Intelligence pool. You can build some character background from this, e.g. your character suffered from a major illness during his childhood that damaged his health. However, he read many books while he was bedridden, and that improved his mental faculties.

At the end of the process, all the points will be distributed to all the ability scores (all characters are created with the same point buy), but in a random manner (ability score distribution is more random/less min-maxed), and the way the points moved can help you create some interesting background for your character.

schporto

First Post
I liked the idea. One thing was that when I tested it, and god knows I can't swear to this, it seemed I ended up Con as my high every time. Didn't have a problem with con being high, but the every time seemed strange.
-cpd

Storyteller01

First Post
14's tend to come up alot a normal spread (25 points), but one of a kind cards can change that. You could use that as a cue for some background or hidden destiny work.

I ended up with a 16 to int once. Thing is, I did it because the dragon slayer card was in that position. It took a lot of points away from other attributes. I still can't shake the card counting feel though. It feels like those magic tricks that use math to make sure you have the same number or card.

Anyways, here's th basic structure:

You lay out your 11 cards. You then distribute your 25 tokens: 9 to nature, 3 to spirit, 1 to nurture, and 2 to each of the attribute cards.

Usually the nature card runs a 6/3 split between the body and mind cards, evil dragons focusing on body while good dragons focus on mind. Unique cards have different effects.

The spirit card splits it tokens to three different attributes based on the card. Again, there are exceptions.

The body and mind cards usually run a 2/3rd split between specific attributes based on the cards. See the usual disclaimer.

The nurture card is supposed to represent an attribute you focused on. It's token goes on the specified attribute. It also indicates where you start when you resolve your attributes.

Here's where the card counting comes in. Starting with your nurtures focus attribute and moving clock-wise, you juggle the tokens based on the cards. Good dragons give away tokens, evil dragons take them. Mortals usually give them, but the dragonslayer steals tokens from weaker dragon cards. The thief also takes tokens.

Tiamet just steals tokens from every other card. Pray you get her in a spread :p .

Add up the tokens and compare the totals to the point buy chart. Extra tokens go to the next highest total, ignoring ties).

That's the gist in a nut shell.

Last edited:

WD40

First Post
I love it.

As far as I can see it allows for the randomness of rolling and combines it with the equal-power level of points-build, while the cards themselves help with coming up with character background and concept.

I recommend it heartily and use it often.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Haven't actually tried it for a character, but I like the system. It should be fine for someone who insists on a random system, or someone who doesn't quite know what to play.

Asmor

First Post
I personally love it, conceptually. Sadly never played in a point buy game, and don't run one either, so never got to make a character with it or force one on my players... Thinking about starting a new game soon, though, and with this reminder fresh in my mind I think I may have to do just that. ^_^ Thanks!

Incidentally, Three Dragon Ante also happens to be a fantastic game in its own right. I highly recommend it to anyone that likes card games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads