• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your thoughts on monsters having six Abilities

cavetroll

Explorer
Back in 1e/2 monsters never had ability scores. I have very mixed feelings about keeping monsters ability scores.
I get that you "need" them in 5e in order to make saving throws.
But the fact that a zombie is more charismatic than some player characters seems weird.

Do you think its an important piece of D&D that will stay forever? Does it add anything to the monsters apart from fulfilling mechanics?
Would you keep it for 6e/7e?

Staffan

Legend
I like having ability scores for monsters, because they make them play well with the rest of the game. They're basically what makes monsters not just cardboard cutouts for PCs to kill.

That said, I prefer the PF2 method of monster design where the stats don't have any direct effect on the actually used stats (e.g. an Arboreal Reaper has an attack bonus of +18 because it's a level 7 creature that's built to fight in melee, not because of its Strength bonus of +6), but are more for informative purposes.

Bilharzia

Fish Priest
Many systems outside of d&d have standard stats or characteristics the same as PCs. I would say it's the norm rather than the exception - this is the non-d&d sub forum after all.

cavetroll

Explorer
I like having ability scores for monsters, because they make them play well with the rest of the game. They're basically what makes monsters not just cardboard cutouts for PCs to kill.

That said, I prefer the PF2 method of monster design where the stats don't have any direct effect on the actually used stats (e.g. an Arboreal Reaper has an attack bonus of +18 because it's a level 7 creature that's built to fight in melee, not because of its Strength bonus of +6), but are more for informative purposes.
Yeah thats the interesting part of it, you have a ancient white dragon str 26 so it "must" have a +8 damage on its claws. I'm not sure if that was a good thing, or a restrictive thing.

Bilharzia

Fish Priest
You beat me to it. This has been my experience too. Plus, it’s helpful to be able to compare capabilities to some extent.
Yup, in RuneQuest/BRP/Mythras creatures other than human are essentially identical to PCs (which also can mean it's a pain to generate them). This also means it is very easy for a player to create and use any intelligent creature as a player character, within the terms of the campaign, and agreement with GM and the other players.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads