• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your WotC spending: More on Minis or Books?

Describe your WotC spending for the last 6 months:

• I spent more on WotC RPG Books than WotC Miniatures

Votes: 150 57.7%
  • I spent about the same on WotC RPG Books and Miniatures

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • I spent more on WotC Miniatures than on WotC Books

Votes: 66 25.4%
  • I didn't buy any WotC Minis or RPG books in the last 6 months.

Votes: 30 11.5%

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
I have technically bought more WOTC books than WOTC minis in the last 6 months. This is because I've never bought any minis, but the last WOTC book I bought was Draconomicon, just under the 6 month mark.

Falanor

First Post
Books, by a huge margin. I pretty much buy whatever book they make for the month, sometimes twice depending on the month (Star Wars baby!). The only mini's I'm gonna buy, other than the random pack for my GM of Midnight, is going to be their Star Wars mini line. :) Mmm-mmm, Star Wars!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Falanor said:
Books, by a huge margin. I pretty much buy whatever book they make for the month, sometimes twice depending on the month (Star Wars baby!). The only mini's I'm gonna buy, other than the random pack for my GM of Midnight, is going to be their Star Wars mini line. :) Mmm-mmm, Star Wars!

You are so doomed, then. I've a friend who I play D&D with. He likes the D&D Miniatures, but not enough to buy them.

However, he's a Star Wars fanatic. Oh dear - lots of SW miniatures for him when they come out!

Cheers!

the Jester

Legend
I've been spending more on minis lately, mostly cuz of a dearth of books that I want. Finally we're getting to some of the stuff I do want- Complete Warrior and XPH, and soon the other Completes, etc.

When there are books I want, they definitely come before minis in my spending priorities.

Greyson

Explorer
DaveMage said:
What do you all think?

I think the poll (at the time of my vote and post, 64% spent more on books) reflects an accurate, while unscientific, assessment of purchasing decisions. I have spent $36 on D&D Miniatures and ten times that amount on just v.3.x books. But, I only use Miniatures for table-top game play. I do not play Miniatures as a stand-alone game. I really enjoy v.3.5 and get any book that appeals to me or that I think will add to my game.

Li Shenron

Legend
I haven't bought any D&D minis yet. I would like to have some because they are cheap and ready to use and they seem quite nice, but the randomization factor have always prevented my purchase.

Greyson said:
I have spent $36 on D&D Miniatures and ten times that amount on just v.3.x books. But, I only use Miniatures for table-top game play. I do not play Miniatures as a stand-alone game.

Since you use minis only for RPGing (as I would do as well) I want to ask you one thing: how did you manage to make them useful by buying only 4 boxes? At least I assumed they were 4, for 36$... that would be about 32 minis, which per se should be enough for some scenarios. But when I look at the list of minis, I find that more than half of them are of creatures that have no part in our games whatsoever. There are monsters from non-core books, from settings we have never played, and soon they are going to be even from Eberron. This is an important point for me: I could have even accepted the random packaging if at least I was going to get popular monsters. But what am I going to do if I mostly get stonechilds, catfolks and similar stuff?

I posted this comment because I noticed that almost everyone is either (1) buying very many D&D minis, even hundreds in some case, or (2) avoid them completely (maybe tried to buy, but regretted it). You were one of the very few posters if not the only one to fall in between.

I only use them for D&D, but don't buy any. I own 1 booster + 3 or 4 more that were gifts/given to me. I won't spend money on random packs, though I would be willing to buy a single I really like, even though the cost would be equal or greater than a whole booster. I'm just not too into collecting for the sake of collecting, so I just stick with ones I like (dwagons) or ones I'll use (dwarven defender).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads