• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You've just assaulted a drow matriarch

fnork de sporg

First Post
So you and you're buddies, most of whom are large crazy mosnter things, gate in to Menzobarranzan and attacked the house matron of the most powerful house in the city. You bypassed her guards and slayed her retinue of followers but through some trickery she manages to escape. Now comes her counterattack.

What do you think she will do? What forces do you think she'll bring in to play? What tricky schemes would she employ?

Now, she's a lich but she's a very young lich. In fact many of her younger siblinmgs are still alive. But she is a very powerful cleric. I want it to feel realistic and I want it to feel distinctively drow.

Oh, also the city it self currently has two seperate armies camped out side in the midst of long seige, trying to starve the drow out.

Do these armies have anything to do with the monsters who attacked? If so, I'd squash them first.

If the monsters aren't entirely 100% hateful of drow, maybe she could talk them into betraying the heroes somehow. No need to set up a specific scheme, though, as that's too likely to fail. Just give the monsters something in return for information on the hero monsters.

Mycanid

First Post
Ewww ... man. I would never do such a thing in the first place. A Drow Matriarch/cleric/lich?!? And the most powerful in this particular place? No thank you....

Well. If I were a Drow Matriarch Cleric Lich ... err ... quite a stretch of the imagination, by the way. I would most likely have known that the pc's were coming and would have prepared accordingly. That way I would be in control of the situation rather than the pc's.

If it were me I'd just gate/teleport/magically move them all OUT of the place to one of the outer planes ... Tartarus sounds like a nice place. Let them play there. Also, before this I would have dominated/ etc. all kinds of nasties on the plane of choice I would send them to. In other words, I would not even deal with the pc's seriously and let some other powerful nasty have their fun destroying them and then using their leg bones as toothpicks. Or something like this. Why should I dirty my hands with the surface dwellers? Give them to the lesser creatures to play with....

Voadam

Legend
Divinations to find out who and what the party are, then send in the small band of effective goons to knock out this specific threat.

Demons.
Spiders.
Undead.
Drow hit squad.
Slave servitor hit squads.

I would think something incorporeal that goes straight to draining mental stats, something large brute monsters won't have a lot of.

A 12 HD advanced allip sounds about right for that type of thing. Wisdom touch drain and will save effects. Taking the spring attack chain is a nice way to go for flying incorps.

The lich has one (or a whole chorus of them) she specially made using creatures swaddled so they can't be ID'd to torment the undead while living. She then makes it(them) think the party tormented it(them) in life and unleashes the undead horror.

Allip click to see monster
Size/Type: Medium Undead (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 4d12 (26 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: Fly 30 ft. (perfect) (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/—
Attack: Incorporeal touch +3 melee (1d4 Wisdom drain)
Full Attack: Incorporeal touch +3 melee (1d4 Wisdom drain)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Babble, madness, Wisdom drain
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., incorporeal traits, +2 turn resistance, undead traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4
Abilities: Str Ø, Dex 12, Con Ø, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 18
Skills: Hide +8, Intimidate +7, Listen +7, Search +4, Spot +7, Survival +0 (+2 following tracks)
Feats: Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 5-12 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

An allip is the spectral remains of someone driven to suicide by a madness that afflicted it in life. It craves only revenge and unrelentingly pursues those who tormented it in life and pushed it over the brink.

An allip cannot speak intelligibly.
Combat

An allip is unable to cause physical harm, although it doesn’t appear to know that. It keeps flailing away at enemies, yet it inflicts no wounds.

Babble (Su)

An allip constantly mutters and whines to itself, creating a hypnotic effect. All sane creatures within 60 feet of the allip must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or be affected as though by a hypnotism spell for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic mind-affecting compulsion effect.

Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same allip’s babble for 24 hours. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Madness (Su)

Anyone targeting an allip with a thought detection, mind control, or telepathic ability makes direct contact with its tortured mind and takes 1d4 points of Wisdom damage.
Wisdom Drain (Su)

An allip causes 1d4 points of Wisdom drain each time it hits with its incorporeal touch attack. On each such successful attack, it gains 5 temporary hit points.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would go after the heroes' home bases, including relatives and friends. I'd bring what's left of the survivors back into a patented Evil Overlord trap for the heroes, and begin sending them body parts until the heroes came to rescue them.

If the hostages are rescued, of course, the heroes will get to discover they've been implanted with all sorts of fiendish spider eggs and will turn into something nasty when the eggs hatch (which will be soon, away from the magical suppression effect of where they were held prisoner).

Crust

First Post
Have the lich gate in a balor to slaughter the PCs. If that doesn't work, then maybe the PCs are a bit too powerful, and the lich sequesters herself in hiding for centuries, waiting until a newer, ignorant generation forgets about her, allowing her to scheme in secret.

Land Outcast

Explorer
DM: You've just assaulted a drow matriarch...

Players: *nod vigorously*

DM: *stands from his chair, starts folding the DM screen*

Player #1: What?

DM: We can't carry on after a TPK.

[Sblock=actually it'd be like this]
[sblock=DM]You've assaulted a drow matriarch...[/sblock]
[sblock=Players]*nod vigorously*[/sblock]
[sblock=DM]Dumbasses[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
Land Outcast said:

QFT

Old Gumphrey

First Post
I think the fact that they "gated in" means they can probably handle themselves in this sitch, guys. I'm seconding the demons and the spiders. Hell with hit squads, summon a balor with some home brew spider template on it. Buff it to hell and bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Serve piping hot.

Land Outcast said:

This doesn't make sense to me. At least the DM should throw things at them to force a TPK. If he just says it's a TPK, it's unsatisfying.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads