• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yuan-Ti rituals?

CapnZapp

Legend
I think that is the most relevant point regarding the question.
It seems a writer or DM would add those when the transformations are meant to be background color only.

If they're supposed to be a realistic choice in a campaign you would go with something less costly.

More in general I think the creation of a Pureblood doesn't warrant too high a cost, they're not that powerful.

If you transform into a high level Yuan-Ti, or if you're high level yourself (and anticipate retaining your power afterwards, like Ras Nsi perhaps) then of course all bets are off.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

It seems a writer or DM would add those when the transformations are meant to be background color only.

If they're supposed to be a realistic choice in a campaign you would go with something less costly.

I guess I see where you're coming from, but it seems to me that the point of making it that much of an ordeal as a setting consideration is to highlight how evil it is. It isn't even efficient evil. Lots of evil goes into even one yuan-ti. So it's only going be a feasible option for a PC in a campaign where they are powerful and evil enough to be able to sacrifice a bunch of people, which would replicate and back up the lore regarding the origins of the race. An individual does not simply become a yuan-it, it takes a lot of power and preparation, that generally is done on a society wide basis. Skip it and go for lich if it's just you.

CapnZapp

Legend
Presumably because they involve large amounts of torture, humanoid sacrifice, and cannibalism.
Sure.

I was merely asking if there were details offered anywhere.

(Not detailed torture specifics. Details like "the seven steps" of the procedure)

We might be told there's torture etc, but we're not told WHY - at what steps in the ritual and for what purpose.

For all we know, the torturin' could be optional, something extra added by the ritual book writers just to get their rocks off...?

Sure.

I was merely asking if there were details offered anywhere.

(Not detailed torture specifics. Details like "the seven steps" of the procedure)

We might be told there's torture etc, but we're not told WHY - at what steps in the ritual and for what purpose.

For all we know, the torturin' could be optional, something extra added by the ritual book writers just to get their rocks off...?

Well, Volos calls out the requirement of cannibalism having the purpose of separating the prospective Yuan-Ti from the morals and mores of most humanoid society. I think that it is specifically to prove that the supplicant has embraced the ruthlessness and lack of compassion of the snake gods, and/or to instil those.

Alexemplar

First Post
In my campaign it involves the priests turning on the serpent deities they once served under (good, neutral, and evil) so they could become godkings. Yuan-Ti are the descendents of their followers and progeny, with "purebloods" being the most numerous and furthest removed.

Keravath

Explorer
The ritual the OP is referring to is actually part of the Tomb of Annihilation hardcover as well as some of the DDHC guide adventures for Tomb of Annihilation.

If you are running players through these it is useful to have an idea of what such a ritual might involve so that the players can have a decent idea of what their character has to do in order to earn the benefits (and possible costs). The ritual is only available to humans.

Volo's Guide to monsters includes a section on the Yuan-ti that adds some details of what can be involved in these rituals.

------------- SPOILERS -----------------

Besides the HC, I think it is also story award from DDHC-TOA-10 Ruins of Hisari. The ritual allows a player character to become a yuan-ti pureblood acquiring some of the racial characteristics while retaining their original stats (and presumably starting feats if they were a variant human to start with since the feat replaces stat boosts).

The ToA primer for DDAL states the following about the ritual and factions:

"A character that is a member of any faction other than the Lords’ Alliance (the only faction that permits yuan-ti) that accepts Fenthaza’s offer of transformation is removed from their faction; they immediately lose all ranks and renown with their previous faction, and must start at the lowest rank of the Lords’ Alliance with zero renown. In addition, they gain the following story award: Enmity of the <Former Faction>. You have betrayed your former faction or the promise of profane power. Any Charisma checks made to influence members of your former faction are made with disadvantage."

This may not be the most recent version .. but the most recent version appears to be the same.
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/ToAPrimerv1.pdf

The consequences of doing the ritual are up to the DM in a homebrew game.

---------------- MORE SPOILERS------------------------

Fenthaza encounter ToA HC:
"She also offers to ritually transform human characters into yuan-ti purebloods so they can get closer to Ras Nsi." ToA-HC p.114
"To undergo the change, slaves must bathe with snakes in the blood of sacrificial victims while under the influence of temple drugs. The transformation leaves each slave with 1d6 levels of exhaustion." ToA-HC p.119 (one in six chance of dying).

During the ritual, other yuan-ti are eating the slaves that are not being transformed.

The ritual can only be undone by a Wish spell or divine intervention. The results of the ritual if you survive are the following:

Characters who survive gain a random form of indefinite madness (DMG chapter 8). In addition, "a human that undergoes and survives the ritual retains its traits and gains the following yuan-ti racial traits." p 119

Darkvision 60'
Innate Spellcasting: Unlimited Animal Friendship spell (snakes only), Suggestion (once/LR, gained at level 3, charisma)
Magic Resistance: "You have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects"
Poison Immunity: Immune to poison and the poisoned condition.

Last edited:

Read the R.E. Howard Hyborian story fragment Wolves Beyond the Border for a chilling description of a man and snake who's spirits are exchanged in an eerie ceremony. Very creepy!

Remove ads