• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zad/Wizardru's Story Hour (*final update 11/12*)

Zad

First Post
Life's Bazaar - Chapter 5

Life’s Bazaar – Chapter 5

OOC Notes:
650 exp. Loot split was 189gp from sell-off early in the session.

This Week’s Adventure:
With Starbrow safe and sound, the group set into what was becoming an established routine of tending to business. But as they split up to tend to matters in town, Astrid had a thought and pulled Elizabeth aside. The two of them discussed an idea then put it into play.

Elizabeth set off for Maavu’s to dispose of the recent load of spoils. Astrid slipped out a minute later, and then once safely out of sight, altered her appearance to one of her other personas and followed Elizabeth. Having heard the plan, I thought it would be more interesting not to mention more useful to stick with Astrid.

Astrid was now just an unknown face in the crowd and she followed Elizabeth, who had waited so Astrid had time to change out of sight. Elizabeth did nothing unusual as she made her way to Maavu’s Imports, while the two of us kept a careful eye out for anyone who might be following Elizabeth. Astrid’s thinking was that they may have attracted some attention by now so it was a smart thing to check.

And “attention” was exactly what we saw. Astrid started to notice a half-elf who seemed to be traveling the same direction. After a time it became clear he was following Elizabeth. She would have had a tough time spotting him – he was clearly experienced in these kinds of things, and only the fact that he wasn’t trying to avoid notice by us allowed us to pick him out. When Elizabeth entered Maavu’s, the half-elf waited outside in a very casual way, but when she left, he did not continue to follow.

It was a busy day in Maavu’s. There was probably some kind of regular schedule to business and this was just one of those times – perhaps a shipment arriving or departing. Elizabeth was getting the hang of how things worked and immediately went to the right person to discuss the sale of the armor that came from the last run into Jazadirune.

Her usual clerk, upon seeing her, immediately waved her over and pulled out a small necklace. It was a token on a copper chain, marked with the seal of the House of Arlintal and on the back her name. As he handed it to her, he said “This token marks you as someone we have done business with. It will help us serve you better in the future by demonstrating we have done business before.”

In Cauldron, relationships are everything.

Once it was clear that the half-elf was no longer following Elizabeth, the girls got back together and Astrid resumed her normal appearance and they sought out a blacksmith. Elizabeth had done some asking around and learned that most of the smiths belonged to a guild run by one of the noble houses. However the most skilled smith in town – Phallian Gurnezarn – was independent. Word was he refused to bow to the pressure to join, and his skill allowed him to remain in business offering wares the others could not produce, albeit at slightly higher prices.

Finding the shop was easy enough – it was a large forge and likely had quite a few apprentices working there and it sat a good ten paces away from all the buildings around it. The girls entered and found a woman at the counter scribbling in a ledger. Around the walls of the shop area were examples of Gurnezarn’s craftsmanship – fine weapons and armor, most of them elaborately decorated. His reputation was obviously well-earned.

Astrid inquired about commissioning a masterwork halberd, and soon a massive shirtless man in a leather apron came out. He watched her swing, took measurements, and examined the wear of her current halberd to see how it was used. He was every bit the craftsman. He said he could have it ready in a couple days, but would prefer a week to do a proper job. Astrid wanted a proper job, and agreed to a week.

While this went on, Elizabeth spoke to the woman – Gurnezarn’s wife – about use of the forge. Mrs. Gurnezarn asked some questions probing the depth of Elizabeth’s knowledge and seemed satisfied with what she saw. She said she would discuss it with her husband and decide on a fee, whether money or service-in-trade.

The following morning, the group made arrangements for Jenya to lift the curse from Bellsin. That helped him, but there was nothing to be done for Glyph, who had faded away substantially during the night. When it was time to return to the enclave, Keygan emerged from his room, shrouded in blankets and wearing goggles and hurried the group through the door so that he could barricade it again.

There seemed to be no sign of defense in the entry room, so the group elected to investigate the secret door they’d found on the landing of the stairs coming in. In this case, “investigating” seemed to entail triggering a trap that dumped half the group roughly into the entry room and sprained a few ankles and wrists.

Behind the door (once opened properly) was a room whose floor was a wooden platform. At each corner was a stout chain with another chain going through a hole in the center. On the wall was a promising-looking lever. No doubt this was the passage down to the Malachite Fortress that they had been looking for.

And I suppose the two hobgoblins deserve a mention as well. They were ready and threw javelins at Glyphandar who, by this measure at least, wasn’t quite invisible enough.

Astrid moved in and smashed her halberd into one, while Krisfallion dropped the other. Swiftness was important here – hesitate and they could have used the elevator to retreat and left the group staring at a large empty shaft.

When they were ready, they pulled the lever. The platform descended for nearly a minute, and by Tzaddik’s estimation took them some two hundred feet down. The platform landed in front of an iron reinforced door that opened into a large hall that seemed to be carved from solid malachite and polished to a high shine. Two empty iron cages hung from the ceiling, while a hunk of raw stone and crystal decorated the middle of the room.

Fortunately there were no guards on this end. Bellsin, fearing the cages were part of some trap, unlocked the first one. But before he could reach the second, the stone artwork made a grinding noise as stone grated on stone and it attacked Tzaddik.

Once it was moving, Krisfallion realized it was a stone spike – a minor earth elemental. Krisfallion invoked the power of his god, and the elemental recoiled in fear and scrambled away. Glyph made a few glowing runes in the air where they hung for a moment before he gestured them to encircle Elizabeth’s falchion. She moved in – step, step, step, slice – and the creature shattered into inert pieces on the floor. She looked at her now-enchanted weapon and smiled at Glyph approvingly.

The smile however was short-lived. A door at the end of the room flew open, propelled by a massive, filth-covered foot, and into the room lumbered an ogre covered with all manner of slime, filth, and excrement. It roared with battle lust and swung a filth-encrusted falchion at Astrid, cutting her deeply.

The group was not well-positioned, and Astrid was without support. She tried to do a fighting withdrawal, but the creature brought the blade low in an arc born more from brute force than skill and the force of the blow knocked her unconscious.

Elizabeth knew her falchion well and had studied its use. She knew how to use the curve of the blade, to use grace and skill, and to flow effortlessly from parry to attack. This brute hardly knew which end to hold, and was getting by on nothing but raw strength. It was this strength which Maris sapped away, the green energy of her spell starting the turn of the tide.

The creature lunged at Tzaddik and he just managed to turn aside its clumsy swing. I moved in behind it with Bellsin and they began cutting the creature apart. Between swords and arrows, the disgusting ogre fell before it could bring its blade to bear again. Fortunately Astrid was only badly wounded, not killed, and Kris was able to revive her.

The room from which the creature came was foulness itself, with effluvia and filth encrusting every surface. The place would disgust even an ogre and it was difficult to understand why this particular ogre would embrace such sewage. There was no furniture as such, but there was a pile of refuse hardened into a crude chair. One corner held a chest, cemented into hardened excrement which held the creature’s valuables, but more than one party member wretched during the examination. I count myself fortunate I was not similarly inconvenienced – it looked quite unpleasant.

There were no obvious ways out of the entry hall or side chamber, leading to the search for the inevitable secret door. Dwarven stonework presented a greater challenge but the door was ultimately located.

The next room had two hobgoblin guards, who must not have heard the cacophony raised by the last battle – or they assumed the filthy ogre had won. There were some doors out of the room and a statue of a dwarven warrior in the center of the room, a spiked chain entwined around his arms and body.

The hobgoblins were smart and disciplined. The first thing one of them did was run off and raise the alarm. Good tactics, really. For them.

But things went from bad to worse for us. As Tzaddik entered the room, Glyph lobbed a flask of alchemist’s fire over his head. It splashed down splattering sticky fire on to one of the hobgoblins and onto the statue. And more pressingly, onto the chain around the statue, which immediately began writhing and moving. It unwrapped itself from the statue and threw itself at Glyph.

The scene was a mess. Hobgoblin and goblin reinforcements were coming from one passage while the chain flailed around in the room attacking. Astrid engaged the chain with Tzaddik while Bellsin and Elizabeth held back the incoming troops. The hobgoblins and goblins were far easier to deal with as it turned out and that wave was quickly killed.

The chain was far harder to handle. It was a piece of metal, and very hard to damage. Astrid was giving it all she had and still only nicking it. Tzaddik took to making tactical feints to help Astrid. The chain made several whipping cuts at Glyph who had to pull back or risk getting killed.

About this time, barked orders could be heard in goblin from behind the group – another wave of reinforcements had come around through another secret door and was moving in from behind – the same direction Glyphandar had retreated in – and cutting off any possible escape up the lift.

With the first wave of goblinoids dead, Elizabeth moved in to help with the chain. The situation was becoming desperate and they needed to destroy this chain before the latest wave of slavers closed in.

The girls swung for all their worth. And swung. And swung.

“What happened to the hobgoblins?” Astrid asked, ducking a swipe of the chain.

“I think Glyph is holding them off to buy us time,” Kris said.

That didn’t sound good. I looked out the door to see, and Kris was, after a fashion, correct. The goblin skirmishers in the line had completely swarmed over Glyph and knocked him to the ground and were in the process of binding his hands and gagging him.

While unconventional, and I assume unintentional, it bought the time needed. With the combined effort of nearly the entire party, one final blow was struck and the chain flew apart into two pieces and fell to the ground. And none too soon.

The girls exchanged looks and Astrid called “Fighting line!” and they moved through the door into the hallway, shoulder to shoulder. The hobgoblins shouted and they and their goblin troops surged forward. What followed was the combined product of skill, tactics, teamwork, and some amount of luck. As each goblin or hobgoblin moved forward, it was met by a sweeping arc of a falchion or firm thrust of a halberd. The girls moved together in a coordinated flow of movement, slaver after slaver stepping up and being crushed or cut. Between them arrows flew off Kris’ bow, and as they advanced, Bellsin and Tzaddik flanked in and brought down even more slavers.

It was quick and it was bloody. And it was over. Or at least partly – there was no sign of Kasmogen, despite one of the hobgoblins clearly calling his name earlier. But a dozen dead slavers was certainly a good start.

Loot:
2 Studded Leather
2 longswords
100s
100cp
huge falchion, 25% of book value due to wear
large iron key
2 deep green spiniels (room M-4)
5990 copper
2248 silver
potion of cure moderate
10 studded leather
10 light shields
10 longswords

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Not fighting against the Goblinoids was only logical. I am after all Illumian . They wouldn't kill me as I'm easily worth 10 or more Humans. I probably would have been forced to be a house servent or teacher to their young. Besides They may know of a cure. I'm loosing personal power (Charisma) at an alarming level.

Zad

First Post
Life's Bazaar - Chapter 6

Life’s Bazaar – Chapter 6

OOC Notes:
Experience is 875xp, and we earned every point.

This Week’s Adventure:
Everyone was breathing heavy and spattered in blood. Well, everyone but me that is – not as if I actually got *involved* or anything. But they couldn’t even stop to catch their breath or, as they desperately wanted, to retreat and rest. The cat was out of the bag, the alarm raised, and the children, if they were still here, were in danger of being lost.

They formed ranks and moved off towards where the hobgoblin had run to raise the alarm, with Krisfallion casting healing spells with the wand as they ran. They came into a large central hall with several doors, including one open one. The hall had once been quite opulent and seemed intended to impress visitors. At one end were large ornamental doors made of carved malachite. They jogged up to the open door ready to fight, but the room – some kind of barracks, was empty. Once close to the barracks, they could hear the familiar ringing strikes of hammer on anvil. The thick stone doors did a lot to deaden sound but the commotion was recognizable even so.

So loud was it that the hobgoblins and goblins in the forge didn’t even notice when the group opened the door and entered. Goblins worked at a large anvil with dwarf and halfling captives helping them, while a few hobgoblins stood about lazily guarding them.

Astrid and Elizabeth moved in and set a line before they even noticed. The hobgoblins recklessly charged and were quickly cut down. The goblins met similar quick ends, whether from arrows or swords. Since the group was careful to block the exits, no one survived to raise an alarm.

There were three captives – a female halfling named Maple, a dwarf named Sandor, and a male halfling who was terrified or tortured to the point of being nearly feral. Fortunately Maple was more rational, and better yet spoke goblin.

“Kids? They brought in some human children a few days ago. They were kept separate from the other prisoners. I heard Kasmojen talking – he asked for the boy.”

“Do you know where they are? Can you take us to them? And while we’re at it, can you tell us what Kasmojen is? What race?” Astrid asked.

“I think they’re in the main hall with Kasmojen right now. I can take you there yes. As for Kasmojen, I have no idea. Part dwarf maybe? He’s huge though,” she said.

Maple had tried to escape before and been caught, so she was not about to pass up a chance to get out now. She armed herself with weapons from the goblins and was ready to come along. The male halfling was practically paralyzed with fear, and Sandor hauled him over her shoulders and took him along bodily.

Maple said that she could take us in via a secret door or through the main doors – the double doors in the hall. The group, foolishly I thought, opted for the double doors, hoping that an open area would favor them more.

As they walked up to the doors, Bellsin caught sight of two peepholes being quickly shut. The doors were barred. The group threw their combined might at the doors trying to force them open but the dwarven stonework may as well have been a mountain for all the good it did.

Then a voice. “Cease your attacking. We will open the door.”

“This can’t be good,” said Elizabeth.

No it can’t, I thought. It means either they have so much force that they’re unafraid of you, or they’re very dumb. The latter seems unlikely.

There were sounds of several locks being disengaged, and then the huge portals swung silently open. Before them was a grand hall carved out of solid malachite. Four pillars held up the high ceiling, with cages of fire beetles hanging from above giving off an eerie red illumination. The back half of the room was a raised dais with broad stairs going up. In the far wall were five windows opening out onto darkness. In the center of the dais was a tall post and an iron chain was attached leading to the collar around the boy Tarem’s neck. Next to him was a… well… a… thing in full plate armor. In one hand it had a massive double-headed axe, and in the other the chain that held the boy. Nearby was a dwarf with strange yellow skin and eyes like a cat.

The other children were there as well, off to the side, held by hobgoblin guards, several of which were scattered around the room. And then there was a strange four-legged creature with large quills bristling on its back.

The voice boomed out from the armored figure “It is very rude of you to arrive unannounced. This is a place of business. Clearly you have business with me, so step in and we will discuss it.” Surely it was Kasmojen. And he was indeed big.
The dwarf-thing objected. “This is most irregular. I am already in the midst of negotiations. There were not supposed to be other bidders. I was assured of this.”

Kasmojen ignored him. “I take it from the distinct lack of sound behind you that you’ve slain a considerable number of my guards. Am I correct in this?”

The group had said nothing so far. I could tell from the way they were shifting their grip that Elizabeth and Astrid were on the verge of just attacking. Kris seemed close as well.

The dwarf however interrupted again. “I say… it looks like an illumien! Damaged, yes, but still it would be worth a good deal. I say Kasmojen, are they stock or are they other bidders? After we finish this negotiation for the boy, I might purchase the illumien. There is great call for his kind in the underdark.”

Maris spoke. “You don’t want him. He has the Vanishing.”

This brought the dwarf’s attention to her. “My you do look like a fair specimen dear. You would fetch a fine sum.”

Now at this critical juncture, a rational being has to wonder what the right thing to do is. On one hand, the safety of the children was at stake, and these were slavers and should be destroyed. But at the same time, their mission was to free the children. One could easily negotiate for their release, and still likely make a profit from the adventure. I would have thought it would at least be worth exploring the latter idea, to see how much it would cost.

But what I think didn’t matter much. The dwarf’s leer was enough to push Krisfallion over the edge, and the battle was on.

As weapons came up, the dwarf disappeared with a pop. Kasmojen, who was faster than he looked, charged the fighters. He hit Elizabeth with a heavy blow that left a massive wound and her barely on her feet. If he could do that in one blow, it was no wonder he was willing to open the door.

Kris moved behind Elizabeth and managed to heal her slightly using the magic wand, but it was nowhere near enough to protect her from dying from another blow. It was enough to keep her from sliding under though, and as the hobgoblin guards moved up on all sides, she slashed out and dropped one. Astrid swung hard at Kasmojen but the blow just bounced off his stout armor.

The quill-dog charged in from the side, and bowled over Maris, leaving her bleeding an unconscious. On the other flank, hobgoblins charged in and overlooked Bellsin in the shadowy light, and the two of them went down in a tangle when he tripped over him.

And then Glyph made a run across the battle trying to get to Terrem. My first thought was that he was insane. Which could be true, but was overridden by my second thought, which was that he believed he was so far gone with the Vanishing that he felt he would be dead soon regardless. By the grace of the gods, he somehow made it across the room. The dwarf appeared suddenly and tried to trip him up but couldn’t clearly see Glyph’s legs enough to make it work. Poor Terrem saw nothing more than a strange ghost coming for him and shrank away in fear.

Kasmojen didn’t look at Elizabeth so much as a threat as an opportunity to build up momentum and cleave through her to Astrid. Fortunately his axe went high and he missed her – I’m quite sure that if he’d hit, it would have been the end of her life.

Some of the hobgoblins were trying to get the other children out of the room. The ones that had joined the battle had found quick deaths at the hands of one sword or another. Kasmojen was unfazed and had the raw power to slaughter the entire group alone, but the quill-dog was more than pulling his own weight too as he lunged at Tzaddik and felled him too in one shot. Bellsin took a look at the scene and decided either from nobility or a sense of survival that his best hope lie in keeping the girls alive and fighting, and seeing how badly Elizabeth was still hurt, stepped in behind her with an open potion vial and managed to nearly hurl the liquid in her mouth. Her wound closed up and she was ready to fight again. He patted her on the shoulder twice and she only nodded in reply, fearing to turn away from Kasmojen for even a second.

I’m definitely going to have to remember to do something nice for Bellsin someday.

The girls moved in with a vengeance, but it didn’t help much. They continued to maneuver to keep Kasmojen between them and had the assistance of Maple trying to set him up, but Kasmojen was strong and well armored. Pressed as he was, Kasmojen was having difficulty making decisive attacks but he was still cutting into Astrid, who was starting to get the sense of his motions and wounding him in return.

And then something odd happened. Now you must understand than when I say “something odd” it’s in the context of one walking down a city street and having a large troll fall out the sky, growl once, then turn into honey and ooze all over the sidewalk, and saying “Oh, that’s odd.”

A beholder arrived. There you go. I said it. A beholder. The first thought I had was “Oh, hm, sorry, that’s just over the top. A bit too much. Should have tried for something more plausible.” I thought it was the dwarf, crafting an illusion. He’d been popping in and out of visibility and I thought this was his latest distraction. But it was just to wild to be believable.

Then I looked at him. And he was terrified.

The fighting stopped. The room practically froze. Guards fell. And the beholder spoke.

“I have come for Terrem Kharatys. That boy should not have been taken from Cauldron. I intend to see that he is safely returned to his orphanage. You can keep the others – they are of no consequence. Come Terrem – you will be safe with me.”

The hobgoblins who had been trying to take out the other children dropped what they were holding and ran in sheer panic. Kasmojen protested. “The boy is my property! You cannot take him.” Kasmojen speaking made Astrid take a swing at him, but he blocked it and riposted, wounding her again.

The beholder, showing some degree of patience I would think, said “You will be compensated slavemaster. But I am taking him. He will not be harmed and will be returned to the orphanage.” From behind the beholder, a small pouch of coin flung into the room on it’s own and landed on the floor. “I said come with me, boy,” the beholder said to Terrem, still frozen in terror. A green ray lanced out from one of the eyestalks and Terrem staggered backwards a step, then he ran over to join the beholder. When he was near, the two of them disappeared.

The fight was too far gone to stop now. More of the party started to circle and harass Kasmojen while the others tried to stall the quill-dog. Finally a feint drew Kasmojen out of position and Astrid landed a solid blow to his chest, denting the armor and breaking the slavemaster’s ribs. He dropped to his knees and a quick thrust ended his life.

The group then swarmed over the quill-dog. The beast was tough, but it couldn’t stand alone. And unlike the hobgoblins, it hadn’t the sense to flee.

They had survived, albeit just barely. The children, three of them at least, were safe. Everyone caught their breath for a few moments, and then Maple took them to the slave pens.

An arched stone bridge went over a deep ravine and to the far side of a great cavern. Two statues guarded an alcove that held a door leading to an entire cell block. Maple warned them that there were two big machines that would attack anyone who did not satisfy them. As she described them, it was clear they were more gnomish digging devices. The group entered and Glyph addressed them in gnomish and told them to shut down. He quickly reached in and removed the power crystals for each and the group went into the slave pens.

There were precious few captives left – most of the kidnap victims had been sold already. Only eight of the victims were still here, but as luck would have it one of them was Jasper Drundlesput, the old gnome who had been in Jazadirune when the Vanishing began.

His memory was far more useful than Keygan’s. “The Spellmason – he cheated. Jazadirune is built atop a Spellweaver vault. It made it easier to make items using their ancient magic. The curse took a long time to come into play but it was quite effectie as you can see. If you can find a cleric of sufficient power, they can remove the curse – or disease. It is partly both, and can be removed by magics curing either.”

“That’s it?” asked Glyph. “Why didn’t you cure yourselves then?”

“We didn’t have a cleric who was that powerful you see,” Jasper mused. “And we kept getting re-infected. We didn’t understand how it was happening at the time. A cleric can most likely even purge the taint from magic items, but we didn’t know that at the time. Though I don’t think you’d find many people willing to buy them.”

As the group freed the captives, Bellsin made a keen observation. “If these guys were slavers, where are the profits?”

While the captives waited in a safe room, the group quickly explored the Malachite Fortress. Any remaining creature with half a brain had fled to the Underdark, so there was little danger left. Kasmojen’s quarters were easily discovered, and among the skulls and skins and other macabre items, a secret door was found leading to a large room filled with the spoils of slaving – chests full of coin, jewel encrusted horns, armor, an ornate gong, and more.

Bellsin held out his arm preventing anyone from entering.

“Which one of you is the mimic?”

Remind me to do two nice things for Bellsin. I had completely forgotten. Judging from the Oh’s and Ah’s, I wasn’t the only one.

The gong manifested a toothy mouth. “Well hello thayah. You gots the smell of mah cousin on yas.”

“Yes we had the pleasure. We were able to work out an arrangement with him,” Bellsin said.

“He’s a bit strange that one. Eats terrible, disgusting things, yah know.”

“To each his own I suppose,” Bellsin answered. “Perhaps we can work out an arrangement with you?”

“Ohhh no no no. I don’t be eatin’ no surface food. Deee-sgusting. But now, would I be correct in thinking that since you’z a-standin’ here, you must have a nice tasty dead half-troll somewhere?” The mimic’s tongue was out and slavering at the thought of Kasmojen’s body.

“Why yes, yes we do,” Bellsin smiled. And a deal was made.

The haul was substantial, and it took some effort to get it all out, but it was worth it. Kris suggested that they allow the freed captives to take all the copper pieces, to help them get back on their feet. It was a gesture for which the captives were most grateful.

But among the treasure and belongings was a disturbing letter. It was dated six days ago, and addressed to Kasmojen in common. The tone was quite angry, and chastised him several times. The writer warned Kasmojen to ease off snatching slaves from the streets – it would be far too easy to become too successful at the job. Other people are watching and they may have to get involved. It could also attract the attention of neer-do-wells or do-gooders and that would be quite undesirable. The letter warned that if he did not slow down, the wrong sort of attention would be coming his way soon. It was signed with the logo of a flying kingfisher. Maris recognized it as the emblem of the Kingfisher Sendings messenger service.

The group returned to the surface, and to the door in Keygan’s shop. Keygan was being difficult about opening it, fearing the Vanishing.

Elizabeth was worn out from the whole ordeal, and whispered through the door “We have some of the people who were kidnapped with us. It would be a shame if they learned of your involve…”

“Whoa whoa no need to be hasty!” Keygan said as the door opened.

The victims were allowed to return to their homes, though surely the city watch would want to speak to them later. The group meanwhile took the children to the orphanage, where they were warmly welcomed. Gretchin was glad all the children were all safe, and said that Terrem had appeared some time ago. She inquired as to why he was returned in such an odd way, and alone.

“Circumstances permitted his return at that time,” Elizabeth said, not giving any details about the beholder, who had apparently been true to his word.

The group then went straight to the Temple of St. Cuthbert. Word had already reached the temple and Rufus was waiting for them, with Jenya joining them soon after they arrived.

After thanking the group for their fine work, Jenya fixed on Glyph, who’s face was that of a man knowing his death was not long off. “Take heart, Glyphandar. I went to the Blue Crater Academy and learned of the Vanishing. I believe I can cure you of this affliction.”

Jenya brought out the Star of Justice, and bade Glyph kneel to receive St. Cuthbert’s blessing. “This is going to hurt a little,” she warned. Then she hauled off and hit him in the head.

The change was immediate. The power of the Saint washed over him as he lay on the floor, and the fading reversed and he was whole again. The bump on the head would take longer to heal but wasn’t likely to be fatal.

“Jenya,” Elizabeth said “we would also request you meet with us and the city watch. They will surely want to know of these events, but would be far more likely to believe us if you spoke on our behalf.”

“I will arrange a meeting with Captain Skellerang in the morning,” she agreed.

“You should also know about the beholder,” Elizabeth said.

Jenya was silent while the group told them of the circumstances of Terrem’s rescue and unusual rescuer. When they’d finished, she said “I’m not sure what to say. What you speak of is surely important, but we could not stop such a creature if we wanted to. I am not sure what to do.”

“Neither are we,” Kris said. “But we thought you should know.”

And with that it was over. Jenya paid the promised fee, and the group ate and drank their fill and had their remaining wounds tended to while the clerics listened in rapt attention to the tale of the adventure.

The rescue was done, but there were bigger things afoot in Cauldron. Whatever it was, it wasn’t over. But that was for tomorrow.

Loot:
7 studded leather
7 longswords
7 light wood shields
50 plat
masterwork urgosh
suit of full plate, medium size
180gp
Ring with three keys, malachite style
Two pulvierizer power crystals

From room M-11:
4 large iron keys, demon head style
4225 silver
450 gold
sliver crescent moon pendant
two potions darkvision
lots of glass beads (i.e. to trip someone with)
2219 copper (given away)
696 silver
1450 copper (given away)
522 gold
900 silver
masterwork chain shirt
masterwork studded leather
composite shortbow (+2 str bonus)
silvered two-bladed sword
180 silver
darkwood shield
large steel shield
362 copper (given away)
19 gems (M-11)
ivory horn set with bloodstones
2500 gold (fee from church)

Aethramyr

First Post
Zad said:
“The Spellmason – he cheated. Jazadirune is built atop a Spellweaver vault. It made it easier to make items using their ancient magic. The curse took a long time to come into play but it was quite effectie as you can see. If you can find a cleric of sufficient power, they can remove the curse – or disease. It is partly both, and can be removed by magics curing either.”

"...So, what we did was, we made this Item that could cast 'Remove Curse', See, And..."

dravot

First Post
Lots of fun, and a very difficult fight.

I didn't think we were getting out of there, but teamwork and interference by the beholder paid out in the end. Also, WizarDru's dice seemed to abandon him partway. ;)

Argent Silvermage

First Post
OK WOW!
I was sure we were all doomed. Everyone was going down so easily. Glyf's Cha was so low that even if he had infusions He still couldn't cast any. I was out of all of my alchemical supplies and my walking stick is no real weapon when faced with a howler or the Dwarf/troll hybrid.
I felt the only chance to get back to bargening was to get ahold of the child. (I think he's related to the Spellmason). So seeing as I wasn't going to survive the night I dove into action. I rushed to the boy and when I realised what I must look to him I decided to keep the other children from being taken.

Glypf is going to be a lot of fun but his first few levels were like a race against death. Here's hopeing He stays alive from here on out.

(Oh.. and I reminded Bellsin about the Mimic.)

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
I'm with them - I thought we were dead meat. When he came up to Elizabeth, downed her to 0 hp in one hit then was going to hit her again and cleave to Astrid, and Maris went down in one shot from the dog, I thought we were dead. One more round, he drops Astrid, the front line is gone and it's all over.

I'm still not entirely sure how we made it out. Part of it was clearing the hobgoblins from the backfield, part of it was a couple bad rolls for Kasmojen, part of it was certainly good party support.

T'was icky extreme. Negotation was never really an option I don't think for this group, so the combat was inevitable. I guess if we'd had resources it might have been better but I can easily see a TPK on this encounter - remember we have a larger group than most modules call for.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Zad said:
T'was icky extreme. Negotation was never really an option I don't think for this group, so the combat was inevitable. I guess if we'd had resources it might have been better but I can easily see a TPK on this encounter - remember we have a larger group than most modules call for.

Actually, the chance of a TPK was almost nil, beholder or no beholder. Kazmojen had no intention of killing you if he could avoid it, just beating you within an inch of your lives, so he could throw you in a cell as slave stock.

Note also that there were at least three classed NPCs who could help you escape, and that for a smaller party, negotiation would rapidly become an option when faced with a superior force. Guile also could have gotten you through most of the dungeon without any combat at all; a simple charm spell, intimidate, bluff or a bard with any talent could have had you stroll on through.

Glyph was also not going to die tomorrow, all drama aside. With his CHA at 8, the worst he could suffer was another 6 CHA damage...2/3 points of which would have healed immediately. So the best case for the next day was that his CHA went back up to 9, worst case was that it went down to 4. The party never encountered him, but a boss in Jzadirune was also infected with the Vanishing, and had been for months....as had the skulker in the wolf's costume.

It's important to point out that negotiation clearly wasn't on the agenda for THIS party, but it would be for some parties...and the module accomdated several solutions to the problem. And yes, my dice kept the party alive for at least two critical rounds. Kazmojen missed three times in a row, which certainly had an effect.

Last edited:

LordVyreth

First Post
So, is this the end of the first adventure, or do you still have to deal with the denoument? If the former, I'm curious as to what changes, if any, you made to the game. I know of at least one monster that was seemingly removed either because of Dru or when it was transferred from Dungeon to the complied book form.

What level is everyone now? I heard the first adventure should have taken you to level 3. How'd it do?

Argent Silvermage

First Post
LordVyreth said:
So, is this the end of the first adventure, or do you still have to deal with the denoument? If the former, I'm curious as to what changes, if any, you made to the game. I know of at least one monster that was seemingly removed either because of Dru or when it was transferred from Dungeon to the complied book form.

What level is everyone now? I heard the first adventure should have taken you to level 3. How'd it do?
We're all 3rd except Oldschool1e (Tzaddik) who is still 2nd level.

As for the rest.... We'll have to wait. this weekend we're playing the Barakus game that is no longer Barakus.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads