• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Zanzer Tem, Nostalgia, and 4e

Pliantreality

First Post
When I was five, my uncle in his wisdom gave me and my brothers the Black Box. It had just come out and my parents, no doubt, enjoyed how much time we spent playing it and NOT bothering them. You could measure their relief by the box of wine.

My brothers lost interest pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong, my own interest in the well-worn little booklets wasn't rock solid. I moved on, did other things. But every once in awhile I came back. Every once in awhile I got drawn back to Axel. The hobgoblin jailor, the room of weapons.

The Black Box was, without a doubt, what got me into DnD- and from there, tabletop roleplaying in general.

I have always been fascinated by the power of imaginative endeavors. All things creative have to them a quality of - I mean, escapism is the wrong word. Only rarely, when things were really bad in high school, did I attempt to escape where and who I was. Only rarely was DnD an escapist activity for me.

I prefer to think of it as vacationist. Imaginative endeavors - writing stories, designing theatrical lighting, making one of those little ships in the bottle (do people still do that?) - can be as restorative as a weekend in Key West. Maybe that's hyperbole, but there's a point in there somewhere. I think.

Somewhat recently my lady-friend was in the unfortunate position of getting a faceful of nostalgia. I told her about what I had taken from the game, where my love of roleplaying came from, and specifically about the Escape from Zanzer Tem's Dungeon.

She asked why I had never converted it to 4e.

It was a good question; one of those questions that makes you feel uncomfortably guilty because the honest answer is something between negligence and laziness. At the time I was GMing, and honestly wouldn't have had the time, anyway. So my lady-friend, in a gesture that was sweet enough to give me diabetes on the spot, offered to run the game for me.

Unfortunately, she has never GMed, and is not savvy enough with the rules to convert the original adventure. That first one is no great impediment - everyone starts somewhere - but the second is.

So I was wondering if there is anyone out there willing to help with this project.

Even if there isn't, thanks for listening to my rambling meanderings above.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Lotsa luck- sounds like a very nice gesture on her part!

But I bet you have more luck posting this in the 4Ed forum.

Pliantreality

First Post
You know what- that is one of those brilliantly obvious things that I completely failed to recognize. Thank you.

Er. Do I re-post or ask a mod to move it?

havard

Adventurer
Zanzer Tem! Sweet awesomeness!

I dont have much to offer in terms of 4E conversion, but if you are looking to expand into the world beyond the dungeon and into the mini-setting it is connectd to, Thunder Rift, I have written alot of material for it here.

-Havard

Spatula

Explorer
[MENTION=6686815]Pliantreality[/MENTION] : a quick google search of Zanzer Tem offered up several 4e conversion ideas on the first page of results.

Rune

Once A Fool
Awesome! As I recall, there was a section left blank for the new DM to fill in on his/her own. It would be interesting to see different variations.

shamsael

First Post
I spent hours converting the Zanzer Tem adventure to 3e (with a vastly simplified map and fewer encounters). 4e came out before we actually started the campaign and the conversion to 4e took only a few minutes.

There's a human wizard monster in MM1 that works well as Tem's stand-in and it's not too hard to swp his powers around to match Tem's spell list.

You'll also need to downgrade the monsters, from goblins to kobolds, orcs to goblins, Minotaur to hobgoblin, depending on which encounters you plan to keep.

Remove ads