• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ZEITGEIST ZEITGEIST Adventure One - Rebel Investigator

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm excited to have FINALLY gotten my ZEITGEIST campaign off the ground on Christmas Day. We had a blast with the first session.

Now I'm prepping for Act Two, and I was a little puzzled by the Rebel Investigator's powers.

- Fey Mists does the same damage as the Shillelagh, but it also blinds the target for a turn. That seems strong for an at-will power. Should the damage be lower (or the damage for Shillelagh higher)?

-The bigger question is Delude. There's no attack roll, which is fine. I would have expected an attack versus Will, but I think it's cool every now and then to have a power like this (which still might not do anything if the target misses with its attack). My bigger question is, what's the range on Delude? I'm guessing Ranged 5, but I thought I should check to see how other people have played it.

-Also, I just realized that Faerie Fire is +10 versus Reflex, which is way high for a first-level monster (which would normally be +4 versus Reflex). Is this intentional?

Last edited:

Investigators have a weaker melee attack, because they're ranged oriented. Delude was probably supposed to be ranged 5. I don't recall what I based it on.

Faerie Fire probably shouldn't even have an attack roll, since it's not an attack. Darkfire, the drow power it most closely resembles, doesn't require an attack.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Thanks for the follow-up! For what it's worth, Darkfire does require an attack roll. But if the intention is for Faerie Fire to just work without an attack roll, that's cool.

ve4grm

First Post
Lessee...

The question of damage was answered. The blinded effect is kind of strong, but being just one target per round, and only when Delude didn't recharge, it didn't hinder too much. If you have a small group (3 characters maybe?), however, the effect will be greater, so you might want to reduce it to a -2 penalty to attack rolls, or something.

I personally took Delude to have the same range as Fey Mists (5).

Faerie Fire's attach roll is crazy high, true. Darkfire has an attack roll, and is also only one target, while Faerie Fire is a burst. Darkfire also has a bonus to hit, though, as it isn't a hugely significant effect.

You would be well justified in reducing the attack roll to +6 (normal, +2 bonus). But if it never takes effect, it isn't very interesting, and the effect is minor, so I'd put it above the standard +4.

Remove ads